Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking immodium for years now but still dont' really understand how it suppoed to work.How fast should it work?I"m asking because if i feel a attack coming on and take some immodium it doesn't really stop it.when i take the immodium it seems only to really work for the next day(or later that night if taken in the morning). I i feel like i have to go D immodium will not stop it. But once i am all cleared out it prevents me from having D the next day. It seems immodium doesn't stopp my attacks only helps prevent them when i take it as a daily dose.Does anyone else have this? I ask because i was talking to my mom(who doesn't have IBS) and she said when she takes immodium her D is stopped within 30mins. I feel when i'm having D its coming out and the imoodium doesn't stopp what is already on my bowels ready to come out. Is it supposed it?I take a daily dose of about 1/2 pill which usually helps keep me fairly attack free but when i do get an attack i can take way mroe and it doesn't affect the D but will plug me up later.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's supposed to draw the moisture out of the bowels to firm up the stool, thereby firming it up. I think maybe you aren't taking enough--how are you dosing yourself when you have a D attack? The dosing structure on the label says one dose after the first episode, then another after the second, etc. I always take 2 tablets when I first get that gurgle--I KNOW it's coming, I don't wait until it gets here! Then I take another 2 after it starts, continuing with each episode. I have taken up to 12 tablets in a morning and then had a normal bm the next day, you have to find out what works for you. We aren't normal, so the normal dose won't work for us.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WEll right ow i'm taking a 1/2 pill daily and it usually works but when i get an attack i take 1 pill before(when the gurgling happens) then another pill if i keep getting it and keep adding more pills every 30mins or so hoping fo rit to stop. I used to take 6 pill severy day but have since been able to get down to 1/2 daily. I can keep taking pills all day of the attack but it doesn't stop it. And if i take to many i get plugged up for a few days which i try not to do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I take Immodium almost everyday, and like you said early in the morning and during times of high stress it sometimes still doesn't stop the D, but after taking a second dose (2 tablets per dose) usually it stops it.I take one dose of Immodium about an hour before I have a class, and I think (maybe I'm wrong) it takes about that long to kick in.I think another thing Immodium does is, mentally I feel more comfortable knowing I've taken something to control my D. I don't know if worrying about D can actually create D, but since Immodium puts me at some peace of mind I think thats another way its effective.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know taking the imodium helps releave my stress about having D. I'm a bit worried about this weekend though as i have a weddign out of town. I haven't been anywhere overnight sicne i started having IBS 6 years ago. Its a bit nerve racking but i think i'll be fine. I have imodium and thankfully the hotel is across the street from teh hall where the wedding is at. So i can get away if need be. So wish me luck this weekend

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WEll i made it through the weekend without having an attack. I took 2 imodium the morning of Sat before we left then another one before supper. I even ate a full ukrainian meal with midnight lunch. I was worried about the next morning but i think the imodium plugged me up. I stayed in teh hotel anyways andmissed the gift opening. And then we drove home.I was so surprised that my being so worried about it didn't make it worse. Just hope i never have to do it again
as it was quite stressful.Thanks,I guess imodium jsut sometimes doesn't work for attacks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What you should hope for is that you never have to worry again! The psychology plays a big part in IBS. I know I've withdrawn to a good degree from activities, friends, and other things that I used to do for fun. This isolation will only make symptoms worse in the long run. Obviously, though, if you are having D every hour, you can't go for a walk in the park easily. The trick is baby steps. Do what you can do. You have D once an hour? Take a 10 minute walk at a time of the day when you usually don't have attacks. Don't see your friends anymore? Tell them about your condition and then map out where the bathrooms are along the way from your house to theirs. When you get more confident in yourself, you can push yourself a little more. I think its helpful, though, to always push ourselves socially a little or else we will be in danger of becomming very isolated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It says on the package to take 2 after D, then take 1 after each loose movement. Whenever I take it, sometimes I'm stopped up for a week or more. Other times, like now, I take 2 and then am in the bathroom a few hours later.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I find you can't go by what the package says. It's for normal folks. I can take 10 at one time, then eat the wrong thing and blammo! I'm in the can all night. You have to know your body and what works for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, it was really wierd, I went away to NY and Florida for a week. In NY, my IBS was a little more active than it is here. But as soon as I got to Florida...holy ####, BIG difference down there. I downed Imodium like candy (took a total of 12 in that week) and NOTHING seemed to stop it. Then got the chest pains one night and had to venture out after midnight to find a Walgreens and buy some Zantac, and started to freak out on the Saturday night cause I knew I would be flying home, with one stopover, then driving two hours or so from Buffalo to home.I asked my doctor if climate change can aggrivate it and she said yes, which upset me cause geez, who doesn't like travelling to warm climates?!?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.