Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about this. I know it stops the D, but how? I mean, it doesnt just magically make is dissapear, right? Does it kinda like constipate you? Cause I've noticed that even if I take it without real loose or irregular bowel movments, it'll still delay the next bowel movement for many hours. Does it just solidify the stool? This has been pestering me
If anyone knows, I'd love any info! Also, how does the Immodium advanced worK? Thanx again!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Imodium is loperamide, a peripherally acting opioid agonist. This basically means it operates like a narcotic in the gut. Specifically, however, it seems to work by restricting fluid secretion in gut (the gut normally secretes a few liters of fluid into itself to allow for the food to be mixed well). It also increases tone at sphincters (what people probably mean when they talk about "spasm"). It may also restrict peristalsis in the small bowel (forward moving contractions) and increase segmentation contractions, which are mixing contractions.Imodium Advanced contains simethicone in addition to regular loperamide. This seems to enhance the absorption of loperamide and enhances the effect of loperamide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.