Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does LG affect your self-esteem? I feel so bad aout myself, that I just don't know what to do. I swear that people detect my lack of self-esteem right away and then exploit it . People seem to take joy in others pain. I just don't understand. I I used to be confident and articulate. I now find myself a depressed, mumbling, fool. I am so embarrassed of myself. When I am around people the thoughts of me smelling run through my head over and over again, to the point where I question my sanity. I just hope and pray for the day that I again can walk around with my head held high. And most of all not smell.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Stinkin, you sound very down today...do you have the odour about you at all times or does it only happen some times such as social situations? Mine only comes when I am nervous or social situations. So when I am feeling pretty good and not stressed I will go by myself to public places like the grocery store for example and I can feel completely normal. I think when you are having a good day to get out and do something around people is important otherwise you start to develop avoidance behaviour. Just wondering where you are at and if you can get out sometimes?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sometimes I get overwhelmed by a sense of complete and utter heaviness and grief because of the LG, but I would certainly not call it self-pity. At these times my mind goes overtime with one incident after another where there have been comments made about my odor concerns and I let it all envelop me.And that's how I'm feeling at the moment, but I usually get over it. I started paxil a few days ago and it has really mucked up my sleep and might have given me the spasms I've just got in my back, so I'm now feeling worse rather than better. I know it will take a while to determine whether the paxil is effective.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I can relate to what stinin life said when it comes to being around people. I worry so about the odor that I can't concentrate enuf to carry on a descent conversation.
I do try to get out once a week, go shopping or a walk in the park. I do have family that tollerate me but I am not exactly at ease around them. I know that, they know who smells bad!!
The one thing I do not want to do is ride in a car with someone or to eat meals with others around. Right after I eat the littlest thing I can tell that people are more offended by my LG than before. When I do go out, I don't eat anything in the AM nor while I am out. When I come home then I eat; sometimes I even pig out.
That is not good either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sometimes i hope that eventually everyone or at least the majority of people (in the world) will get LG (just the LG and not any painful or discomforting IBS ). I know thats a bit nasty, and the world would be a smellier place and its not gonna hurt anyone, and eventually everyone would get used to it and not smell it anymore like we do..... and now to insert an evil smiley...On a serious note, I know what your're feeling man. No matter how good my day has been or how good i feel like things are going the three words 'Whats that smell?' will bring me crashing down, which leads me to not even try talking to make an effort with people. And LG is not like normal challenges, where you can put in the hard work before so your're ready to meet the challenge when it comes. What do you do when out of nowhere you start smelling in front of a bunch of strangers, or even worse people you're trying to impress. Even if you explain to them that you've got IBS bla bla bla(which I don't think i'd ever have the guts to do) you just feel like people look down on you because of this. And keeping quiet when someone makes a comment I think makes other people think that I don't care about myself smelling or that I don't care what people are saying.But hey we've got to keep going, can't let some jerk(s) ruin our life. Don't wanna give them the satisfaction of seeing me down anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi everyone,Do I feel pity for myself? Absolutely. I remember when I could just walk into a room of people without even knowing what LG is. My self-esteem hit rock bottom after my last temp job when my co-workers said behind my back that I won't get hired by anyone else. I cried a lot and feel very insecure about applying for other jobs. Then I'll have probably the same comments and humiliation going on. I do agree with Milo. Hope they will all get LG and have the same stinking life as we do. If we knew how to control it, we would. Cramps and pain are not the worst side effect of IBS. If I could trade pain with LG I would. Other people think I am weird because I am so anti-social. I feel most comfortable staying home where nobody gives me any ####. The most frustrating part for me is that I've tried medications, aloe vera, enzymes, peppermint, etc. and nothing seems to work.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
There never was anything that I tried that actually worked. Sometimes I thought this or that worked, but it wasn't long and someone let me know they smelled me.
I use to sit and feel sorry for myself a lot and wish to die.
Now, I find the best thing to do is to think about others who have it worse than we do. Lots of peopel in the world have nothing. Not even descent water to drink. So while I am sitting here at home alone I try to do things to help the less fortunate. Like sew/crochet things to give to those who need these things. I do this mostly cause it makes me feel good.
This works for me since I do not have to work outside the home. BUT I do know that lots of you need those outside jobs. So I thank my God for my better half, who supports me and tollerates me .

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:Incomplete evacuation causes LG.
Not always, I have had LG even after I have been completely cleaned out.My LG probleem is the stinky stuff that leaks out that I usually am unaware of that everyone else gets freaked out by. I wish there was a stink meter that we could carry with us for awhile that would tell us when we smelled bad and how bad. Maybe then we could figure out what we are eating or not eating that causes this.Wheat N Bran cereal is a good sourse fo fiber for me. Helps me to get things out and I feel goos then too.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
When I said cleaned out I meant like when being cleaned out before I had my barium test. Or when I would just clean myself out with ennamas to see if I could get rid of the gas odor that way. But it didn't helpI wasn't talking about having a good BM and thinking that was being cleaned out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blb7,I have had a bad couple of months. I am very down. I think that I smell all the time. I think that it gets worse, if thats possible, when I am nervous in social situations. I am in a total avoidance behavior right now. I stay away from everyone, family, and so called friends. Iam jusst in a really bad place right now. I thank you for your concern. I wish you the best and stay in a more positive place. It is not fun being where I am.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stinkin life, I feel so very bad for you right now. Just keep trying everything you possibly can, which I am sure you have but you never know, someone on these boards may come up with something new for you to try. Keep the faith and know that you have friends here...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks blb7, but I am just trying to get these feelings and experiences out. I am looking for understanding which I can only find here. No one else understands .

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to find strength from somewhere when you have a condition like LG. It is mostly out of your control. Having people judge you on a constant basis because of this condition is very hard to deal with. That's why you have to mentally nurse yourself constantly--telling yourself that this too shall pass, you are a good person and you have people who love and care about you. Life has to go on!Today, I had an appointment with my GI. Right before I left to go on the appointment I had a feeling of IE and nausea. Nerves I guess or stress from the fear of having LG while at her office. Anyway, I decided to try and go to the restroom before I left to save embarassment. I called her office to let them know I got sick (with the same problem I was coming to see her for) and would be there about 15 minutes late. They said I had to re-schedule. Just wonderful. So here I am, trying not to feel sorry for myself and be strong. This too shall pass. You have to believe that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I want is to feel better. I really don't want to have to deal with this for the rest of my life. In the current state that I am nobody wants tobe around me. Not even family . Friends are all gone. This is the most terrible thing ! Alone. No support. I can't find it in myself to be supportive of myself. Where do you find the strength? How do you tell yourself that you are ok when everyone and eveything in your life tells you otherwise?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have had this for 40 some years. I have my highs and lows. Times when I didn't want to go on and then I would look at it like this. No matter how bad I had it there are always a million people on earth who would gladly change places with me. I also prayed alot and that helped. I would ask God to help me get thru each situtation and He did. Back when I first got this I thought I was the only one. & No one understood. Now we have this board and people are trying to find answers and I am sure that some day they will find help. Don't give up. As for famiy, Don't any of your family want you around? Keeping you in thoughts and prayers.Joycein

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Family will deal with me on a limited basis. I am alone pretty much all the time. I am so depressed. I think that I am going to lose my job. I have a hard time being around people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lost my job backin June. Trying to sell my house. Will have to life with family for awhile. Life sucks and it just gets worse. Only reason I read th post from this forum is in the hope that I will find something that will help (about ready to give up on that too). Sometimes I think suicide is the best solution.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:Sometimes I think suicide is the best solution.
Suicide doesn't solve anything. I have made it thru thur for 45 years and I am still hoping for an answer. As for your jobs. Lots of others here have this and have jobs.Hopefully they can help you there. Can you work from home on a computer. Or get an outside job. I use to have a job delivering newspapers for a couple of years. Maybe you can start a thread on what kind of jobs you could look for if you can't stay where you are. My faith in God has been a big factor in helping me to keep keeping on. Keeping you in thoughts and prayers.joycein

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please don't consider suicide!!!!!!!!!! Ok, IBS really sucks, I am in between jobs as well, hated my last temp job for 6 months where co-workers were gossiping about me every single day and said very hurtful things. I am still angry and dissappointed about it but would never think of suicide. I can understand your frustration. There are so many remedies, medications and diets that I have tried that didn't work out but I have to keep looking. There are people out there with conditions that are much worse. A distant family member recently had a car accident and is now paralyzed. She won't be able to walk again. Leaky gas is a horrible side effect of IBS but we also have to figure out a way to deal with it. This board helps me to vent, discuss issues or exchange experiences. At least there is someone else out there who understands what you are going through when everyone else thinks I am crazy. In short, life is worth living even if you are suffering from IBS.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts