Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you think the likelihood is that I've had a C. Diff. infection this whole time and not known it. Here is my history:Never had a problem with D until I was prescribed antibiotics for adult onset acne. I was on antibiotics for a total of 8 years (tetracycline 1 year, erythromycin 6 years, minocycline 1 year). The last year of the erythromycin, I developed moderate D. My doctor switched me to minocycline and my symptoms seemed to lessen a little bit, but not completely go away. Then I tried taking Probiotica, and I felt 100% better! I thought I was cured! Unfortunately, the relief only lasted about a month, and then the D came back. I tried calcium as well, but it didn't really work consistently. I've identified obvious triggers (coffee being my worst), but many times there doesn't seem to be a logical link between my diet and my symptoms.Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but last summer I developed a sinus infection and was treated with the antibiotic Levaquin. Interestingly, my D completely stopped for the 10 days I was on it, and for a couple days afterward. But sure enough, it eventually came back.A couple months ago, I finally went to the doctor about this and he told me to stop taking the minocycline which I did gladly. (As an aside, if anyone suffers from acne, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion has cleared my skin way more than the antibiotics ever did.) He said he didn't see the need to run any tests on me because I haven't lost any weight lately. Instead, he told me to eat more fiber, which I've tried with minimal success. Told me to eat more yogurt, which I tried with minimal success. He then suggested that my D is anxiety related and prescribed Remeron. It worked great for the last couple months, but now it's also starting to not work anymore. So this is where I am right now. Every time I eat, I either get D or else very queasy. I do not have pain, however. The only thing I know works pretty consistently for me is Immodium. I need to go back to the doctor because I want to get off the Remeron since it's not working anymore. So should I suggest getting tested for C Diff?

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Yes, I would ask for a stool culture to rule out C-Diff. It is not an invasive test; just gotta get them a sample. I'm surprised the Doc's haven't tried to rule that out yet with your history of taken anti-biotics for prolonged periods of time.BQ

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Yes, I would ask for a stool culture to rule out C-Diff. It is not an invasive test; just gotta get them a sample. I'm surprised the Doc's haven't tried to rule that out yet with your history of taken anti-biotics for prolonged periods of time.BQ

· Registered
475 Posts
Blinkey Blige!Has your doc not tested you for anything? no blood tests? colonoscopy etc?My first doc - at home - did this. just looked at me and said IBS! i thought that was crazy! he did not tests at all!The I went to another doc - at work - and he did blood tests etc and sent me for a colonoscopy. Im still not 100% satisfied as there are still lots of tests i habe NOT had, but id see another doc!You defo need tests done before they tell you that it IS IBS. need to rule out the more serious stuff.See another doctor my friendx

· Registered
475 Posts
Blinkey Blige!Has your doc not tested you for anything? no blood tests? colonoscopy etc?My first doc - at home - did this. just looked at me and said IBS! i thought that was crazy! he did not tests at all!The I went to another doc - at work - and he did blood tests etc and sent me for a colonoscopy. Im still not 100% satisfied as there are still lots of tests i habe NOT had, but id see another doc!You defo need tests done before they tell you that it IS IBS. need to rule out the more serious stuff.See another doctor my friendx

· Registered
327 Posts
Hi:Definitely worth having the C. difficile test done. I had it and it was horrible. They actually will do a C. diff. test on formed stool. Mine was pretty formed at the time I was tested and it was positive for the C. difficile. You have to have the test done on three consecutive days, as a one-time sample may miss it.Good luck. ~JR~

· Registered
327 Posts
Hi:Definitely worth having the C. difficile test done. I had it and it was horrible. They actually will do a C. diff. test on formed stool. Mine was pretty formed at the time I was tested and it was positive for the C. difficile. You have to have the test done on three consecutive days, as a one-time sample may miss it.Good luck. ~JR~

· Registered
14,050 Posts
JR that was my experience too. (However, my stool was pretty liquid) But it was Awful. I was told there was a high rate of false negatives.BQ

· Registered
14,050 Posts
JR that was my experience too. (However, my stool was pretty liquid) But it was Awful. I was told there was a high rate of false negatives.BQ

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going back to the Dr today so we'll see what he suggests. My stools are somewhat formed thanks to the Remeron and Immodium, but there are days when I still have very watery D. It's sort of hit and miss I guess. Unfortunately I'm an HMO patient so it's probably unlikely that I'll get any tests done.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going back to the Dr today so we'll see what he suggests. My stools are somewhat formed thanks to the Remeron and Immodium, but there are days when I still have very watery D. It's sort of hit and miss I guess. Unfortunately I'm an HMO patient so it's probably unlikely that I'll get any tests done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.