Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone today I was diagnosed with PI-IBS the dr said it would definitely clear up in 3 months on average. Is this correct? Seems like a long time, although in my anxiety I had stumbled across multiple sources saying it can take a year or multiple years to correct itself. Any help here? I shouldn't question my dr I am just concerned.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depends on how you defined PI-IBS.It is common for people to have a few weeks to a few months of symptoms after a GI infection and usually that doesn't get counted as IBS. Usually the researchers only look at people who have symptoms for 6 months (at least one week a month) so I suppose it depends on where you start calling it IBS and when you count to remission.Most people tend to heal up before they'd actually have symptoms long enough to get the diagnosis. Once you've gone 6 months it is more likely it will take awhile longer to heal up than if you are someone that heals up in the usual time frame.Being anxious about it and looking up info to find timelines to worry about will tend to make the recovery take longer than it would if you decide to relax knowing it should get better soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts