Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many times you guys go each day? For me, it's always worse in the morning. I will go 3 or 4 times from the time I wake up (7am) until 8:20am when I leave to go for work. First one will usually be solid, the rest loose stools. I think I'm just keyed up because I know I am going to work etc, so it makes me have to go to the bathroom. I am usually ok during the day but from time to time get d at work as well.On the weekends I usually have 1 normal solid bm in the morning like a regular person without IBS, but if I am going out with friends or something my stomach gets excited/anxious and I go more often. (I am on Paxil CR for anxiety disorder).

·
Registered
441 Posts
My symptoms were almost like yours, except I'd have a morning day like you described, followed by a day or 2 with no BM (even on work days) UNless there was a stressful event that day, then I'd have the BM pattern you described.On weekends though, I would most likely not go much at all...again, unless something stressful came up.Since I've been taking fiber, I have just one or two formed BMs about every other morning. My worst day is Monday because it not only starts the work week, but we usually have a big meeting in the morning. I'd have 2 to 5 BMs before the meeting...now only one to 2, and no urgency later.Fiber has really helped me...see my post on Konsyl fiber, if you are interested. I also use calcium (3 years now), imodium as needed and take an anti-anxiety med-not an antidepressant-tried 2 types and didn't like either, they made me feel all "wired up".Jeanne

·
Registered
145 Posts
i am also similar in frequency, usually when i wake up i'll have one solid or "best" bm. then in the next hour or two i'll have a bunch more looser bms. and the whole time i'm quite anxious, esp about going to work, being on time for work, how i'll feel at work etc... which really doesn't help matters, in fact it only makes my gut expel more...my real culprit is anxiety, anxiety over the symptoms and nothing more. once i start worrying and thinking about it....my gut is off to the races. on really bad days immodium helps alot but i'm tired of quick fixes for the symptoms.my thought patterns are really messed up so hopefully therapy will help...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Miranda- I know some on here do not approve of the drug route for anxiety...but many, many of us use medication to calm us.I don't disagree with therapy, but it has helped me almost zero. I have learned, just on my own, to do some deep breathing and relaxation which really helps get through urges.Those of us that are anxious surely have chemical stuff going on..I think it's a disease just like diabetes, arthritis or any chronic problem not under our control.It you have not ever tried anti-anxiety meds, you may want to consider it.Good luckJeanne

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a heck of a time in the morning. Like the rest of you the first BM is OK, but then I might go 6 or 7 times before 10 a.m. Just a little at a time. I think I'm all done and then a couple minutes later I have to go again. Drives me nuts. Then I have to drive about 5 miles and that's when the big D kicks in. Probably because I start worrying about having to go before I get to my destination. I should probably ask my doctor for an anti-anxiety med.

·
Registered
33 Posts
reagan26-i do better on days i don't work & also on pxil cr for anxiety disorder. just trying to live w/ibs-a fact of life. i think i've tried most things-ibs diet-eating healthy, meds-if you're anxious or have anxiety disorder or depression- i think ibs goes w/territory. actually my gastro dr. told me this after my colonoscopy. well you have a friend here who understands-oh & eating out? yea-right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well Since I've been using the following: I've only had 1 to 2 poos a day and sometimes I won't get even that. It's much better considering I'd go 10-15 times a day.Symptoms:CrampingBloatingLoose stoolsGas (painful gas that gets trapped under my ribs)Back Pain (middle, upper and sometimes lower)FatigueAnxiety attacks that cause rapid heart beats, chest pangs, unable to sleep, diahrrea, nausea, etc.)shakinessdizzinesshemspainful periodsThings I've been doing to relieve myself4 fiber capsules each morning with lots of waterFennel 3x a day after each mealBeeno - 2 before each mealZantac - 1 before each mealFish oil capsule dailyGarlic oil capsule dailyHot water bottle heater when the pain is bador a warming padprescribed antispasm medication - levisin (as needed)prescribed depression medicine - doxepine (1 before bed)Oil of peppermint (as needed)Hot baths (for helping ease pains and the pain from my hems)I try to eat light and healthy - no breads, no dairy unless I take a lactaid pill, no cheese whatsover, no read meats, no cabbage (not anymore...too much painful gas attacks), no seafood, mostly veggies, chicken and fruit. Candy is not good for my stomach either.I haven't had a painful crampy IBS day in about a week however I have had some gas trapped that causes me pain.I am starting a gall bladder flush tonight and after that I will be doing a 10 day cleanse (no food on my cleanse).The cleanse will beWater with lemons, maple syrup, paprika. Sip slowly all day long. I heard this works really well. I don't know if I'll make it a full 10 days but I hope I do.Take CareMy email is rpduffy861###msn.com

·
Registered
40 Posts
I usually start having bad d right after lunch everyday like clockwork. Usually about 3-5 times within an hour. I hate it because i'm at work and there is really no privacy. Doesnt matter what i eat either.

·
Registered
441 Posts
carrie- I find a big lunch is bad for me too...have only gone out for lunch a few times since I've had relief using fiber, and it's been OK.But, I just stay away from much at all when I'm at work. Crackers and some fruit juice usually.Even with better control now, it helps me keep my weight down, and I just don't have to worry much when I eat light.Jeanne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.