Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - 3 weeks ago, I did some research on here and decided to try giving up peanut butter and all types of nuts as well as dairy.. I also started taking soluble fiber chews. Since I have done this, I have had a BM every day except one, and have been able to cut Miralax out of my routine. I still take 3-4 stool softeners and 1 Align (probiotic) as well as 2 magnesium oxide supplements daily. I also, however, had my menstrual cycle for 2 weeks during this time, so I am hesitant to say that my BM's were a result of my diet changes and not my cyclic changes. How many days would you say that I should continue to have BM's before I can say that my bowel changes are indeed a result of my diet and lifestyle changes?? Should I wait to see if I can cut out stool softeners or align while still having BM's before I can consider myself "cured" or at least for the time being? Thanks so much for your help everyone. I couldn't have done any of this without everyone's willingness to share and support...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If your cycle seems to effect things (and many women without IBS see stool changes associated with their period) I'd probably go through a whole menstrual cycle on your current program to see how things go for the month. Then if it seems good (or good enough on enough days) then you could see if you can eliminate something and try that for a month. I'd eliminate things one at a time so if there is a big change you know what you need to keep doing.Even if something works most every day you can still have a really bad IBS day and need something more than what controls it most of the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts