If you do have a bad reaction to chocolate, then, of course, you should avoid it. But other than that, I don't see a reason a priori to avoid it. I suppose it is possible to allergic to chocolate, but I'd guess that is rare. Other than that, chocolate is by no means toxic (to humans).
The reason chocolate is toxic to animals, esp. dogs is that becuase their systems are small (usually) the chocolate acts like a super burst of caffine and their hearts will race and can have a heart attack (I think) The reason I know this is my sheltie ate about 3/4 a pound of malted milk balls and we had to make him vomit. (on Vet's advice) That was really gross!Anyway, as far as human goes, I think maybe your doctor wants you to stay away from chocolate like he wants you to stay away from caffine. Unless of course you are allergic to it, I think his warning was a little strong.J
cody, I eat chocolate, but in very small amounts. The caffine in it is not good for the bowels, but a litte should not bother you unless you are lactose intolerant. Then some of the rich chocolate would cause problems. Like I love peanuts m&m's and hershey kisses, but I know if a eat alot of them then my bowels get in an uproar and we all know how that feels. Hope I helped a little. JuJuB
Chocolate is one thing I refuse to give up!!! Like the others said, probably the only reason the doctor said this was to get you to avoid caffeine, unless you're allergic to chocolate. One thing I like to do when I'm craving chocolate is to make chocolate milk with Lactaid milk and Hershey's syrup. I think the syrup is just chocolate flavored, so it doesn't have all the caffeine in it. So, if you really like chocolate, and aren't allergic, there's really not much harm in having a little. Just don't over do it!!!
I don't think your doctor makes much sense. There is no reason why it should hurt you. That is probably true of virtually any food item in general. Any reaction you are going to a particular food item is going to be idiosyncratic.
I have had IBS forever and I have done tests on what I can eat and what I cant. One thing that is a definite is chocolate. If I eat one little piece of chocolate and I have a serious attack. So I AM allergic to it...thats what my stomach says and I believe what it says.
I'm sorry but if its's not chococlate it's not candy.
It may not be good for you but nothing else is quite so satisfying. If you don't have a problem with it, I wouldn't worry. AS for dogs. . . I firmly believe that has been over hyped. Yes, I am sure, it isn't good for them and some dog died but....before this hype there was even choc. dog treats and they loved them.. We had a terrier mix that lived for 18 and 1/2 years. She would never eat any food that wasn't hers except one Christmas she ate about 12 oz of m&ms. She didn't even get sick. Many of my friends have had their dogs get into chocolate as well and we have not had problems. So we feel it is sort of an allergic type reaction.I've given up chocolate and my ibs did not go away.
Flux , you are So Negative over anything certain people have to say ! You are Not a Doctor , nor do you Know everything that some Doctor's may know and give us advise over.You should not Blast people for relaying information that their Doctor passes on to them. Untill you go to medical school and Learn the In's and Out's of things to avoid , I think it would be best left alone when folk's comment on things in these postings.Ok ??
I think untill people on this site Know more about what the medical profession does ,It would Not be in Our best Intrest to Rule Out what Doctor's relay to their patients about things to avoid. You may not agree with what The Good Doctor say's , but who's the doctor , you or him ? Not to many people disagree with Doctor Salt , so why do they disagree with the doctor's of people on this B.Board.This is Just my opinion only on what I see .
I am new to the world of IBS and enjoyed finding this site. I noticed this post about avoiding chocolate. My doctor (pcp) also has told me to avoid chocolate. He said some people get a strange reaction to chocolate. Almost like the toxic effect that Cody mentioned . It could be a strange allergic reaction , or someother type reaction.I personally am not sure! I also avoid chocolate. (and Milk too )
If somebody tells you something that doesn't sound quite right, then it seems reasonable to wonder about it regardless of who told you. Avoiding chocolate as a general rule just does not make sense regardless of who told you, be it your mother, your doctor, or the tooth fairy.
I eat chococolate! I eat daily about half a bar of Nestle's milk chocolate. It is the only chocolate bar I like. Chocolate is an alkyloid therefore it is potentially a poison, if you eat enough of it. It has a small amount of caffeine and a larger amount of theobromine, both of these are stimulants. I also drink coffee and so far I have not had any adverse effects of either substance. Chocolate is definetely toxic for dogs and should not be given to them; the larger the dose the more potentially lethal it can be.
You are entitled to your Opinion Flux.As other's are to there's. Just because you may not believe what is being told to you , does not make it False. It may suprise you some day and be true. Personally I don't care who eat's chocolate. I just know I sure won't be as I was advised against it by a Gastro specialist. He's been in the profession 32 years. I think he would know What the heck he was talking about Or he wouldn't have mentioned it to me.
Perhaps there is some hidden danger in eating chocolate that no one has yet discovered (which in and of itself nullifies this odd advice), but for now, millions of people are eating it and doing fine, so what is your doctor's rationale for his statement? That he has 32 years experience?
Wow, this has certainly caused quite a reaction. However, I hate to see people attacking flux like this. I'm not a doctor either, but the statement that chocolate is toxic just doesn't sound right to me. Also, I just read somewhere that it is only baking chocolate that is toxic to dogs. Who knows!!! My advice is- if chocolate bothers you, don't eat it. But don't avoid it just because you think it may bother you. I don't know of anyone who has ever died from chocolate. K
I have IBS and also diabetes and I am not giving up chocolate. I don't care if it is toxic to me,----Heck, I'm not having much fun anyway. Some things are worth the pain. I refuse to surrender to any damn disease!!!!!------------------JANICE"Do not go gentle into that good night"
Chocolate acts like a stimulant and in largeamounts can cause increased heart rate , irregular heart beat and may cause seizuring. In smaller doses vomiting and diarrheamay be the symptoms seen which could lead to dehydration if allowed to continue.The above reason is what my Doctor gave me for avoiding chocolate !
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum
A forum community dedicated to Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support. Come join the discussion about treatment, diet, health, lifestyles, spirituality, medication, research, recovery, and more!