Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
I've been dairy free since Sept. and it has helped a lot! I never drank milk, so I don't drink soy. I do use soy in cooking though and no one in the family has even noticed. It's a bummer having to spend so much on soy sour cream and cream cheese, but I feel better so I deal with it. There is no substitute for a very sharp cheddar though!

· Registered
385 Posts
I haven't had a problem with dairy, so I eat it all the time. Although, I don't drink milk, I eat aged cheeses, and yoghurt like crazy, and this seems fine. These foods are low in lactose anyway, because the bacteria in them eat up the lactose. The main offender is milk, or even cream. I cannot, however, eat soy products. It seems that anything with soy gives me MAJOR gas problems. I can't stand it anyway.

· Registered
78 Posts
I've been dairy free for about a year now and find it helps with the IBS symptoms over all. At first I gave all dairy up except organic, plain, fat free yogurt but then that turned against me as well so I sub with probiotics. As to Soy? I'm not only sensitive to soy but am hypothyroid and we who are should stay away from soy anyway. I DO use Rice Dream sub for anything that calls for milk. It's not milk, but better than nothing. I take plenty of calcium/mag supplements and exercise like the dickens so my bones stay strong.

· Registered
5,773 Posts
Back when my diarrhea was ongoing, milk was a definite contributor. I subbed soy wherever I could.Since using flavonoid supplement milk has not been a problem. (3 double cappucinos may give me an extra bowel movement; but in normal usage, nothing.) I have often wondered why I am no longer actively lactose intolerant when it was so obvious I was before. There's something in that grapeseed/ginko that is doing this.Mark

· Registered
494 Posts
I'm basically dairy free -- I avoid it whenever possible. I switched to a lot of the soy products, which I actually like a lot. There's no question that dairy products greatly affect my symptoms. Dairy and carbonated sodas are the two biggest culprits.

· Registered
1 Posts
I was milk-free until recently. I found a product called Digestive Advantage that is now being sold in all of the major local stores. It says it uses lactobacillus cultures and lactase. I have used the stuff for a while now, and I can eat whatever I want. Only straight milk gives me any symtoms anymore, and even those are minor. I would recommend this stuff to anyone with digestive problems to at least give it a try. This is one of those products that can really change your life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.