Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I know they say 70% of IBS sufferers are women. I'm wondering if men just don't bother with getting diagnosed or if it does actually effect women more. It a little hard to tell gender by user name some times. Thanks zeek(male)

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Me too. I no longer have to deal with the symptoms, but for 10 long and messy years, never breathed a word about it, while I kept trying to kill off the various triggers. (I bet I was not alone in that approach, either.)Mark

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am male, which got me in loads of trouble as a teenager when those wild oats just needed to be sowed. I really don't know if IBS is really a female ailment by majority, since I wonder if women are more disposed to going to the doctor. I know guys who have not seen a doctor for over 15 years. Guys just don't like seeing doctors very much, but I don't like being sick, so I go. I think the subject matter (bad poo poo's) would make a lot of men, who feel they have to be in control and present a macho image, not ever reveal such a thing to a doctor. I've even had a guy call me a wuss because I told him I have stomach problems. So it is all this macho "Be all you can be Marines/Army recruitment commercial stuff", along with all the macho pretending in all the beer commercials...

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's a good point Healthwise - I think men are less likely to go to the doctors than women - Because of all the macho thing they have to keep up. I'm female - And whilst we're on the men subject - Any singles here?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am a male as well and I understand what you mean about the screen names. Fed Up, I must admit that for a long time I thought that you were a male as well. I only learned that you were a female when I noticed you posting on the women's board. I thought to myself either Fed Up is a girl or he's a guy trying to pick up chicks in the women's forum. My mistake
. I think that you may be right about the doctor thing healthwise. That might be why women tend to have a longer life expectancy? I absolutely hate going to the doctors'. As a young child I had to go have bloodwork done and I was acting out so they sent security to try and hold me down. One guy probably really regrets that since I was running away and shut his hand in the door and he broke it. I was about 5 or 6 I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I just joined the board, I'm male too. In my research I read in one book that the gender difference is different in other countries, for example supposedly in India more men than women have it - or at lease are diagnosed with it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm male as well. I tried to deal with my problem alone for many years. Finally I went to get help. I wish I would have gone to the doctor when I was younger. I guess one of the results of getting older is yuu are forced to go the doctor more often because you start having other problems. I still go reluctantly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Even though my IBS has often made me feel anything but macho and and masculine, I am in fact a man - anatomically speaking, at least.I hate asking for directions and insist on trying to fix things myself, so it's probably not surprising that I suffered from IBS-D symptoms for years before talking to a doctor about it. Because I kept my head buried in the sand, it was 12 years before I first heard the words "irritable," "bowel," and "syndrome" used sequentially in the same sentence. I wish I had gone for help sooner. So stupid! TP

·
Registered
234 Posts
I tried to start an IBS support group for MEN at my church. No one would admit having IBS!The church has over 8000 members. Think about it. I am sure I am not the only male with IBS issues. But what does that tell you about the culture that no one else would respond.There are hundreds of groups in the church started by and for women (e.g., PMS issues, how to learn to can fruit, supporting our sons in Iraq, etc.) but hardly any men's clubs. Men just don't seem to be able to connect the way they seemingly did in the old days.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Healthwise, you make a good point. They're out there. Statistically they have to be, right? But like you said, not many men feel comfortable admitting to something like IBS. It's hardly unusual to hear guys talking frankly about crass topics like bodily functions. When men do discuss the size, smell, or color of their solid waste, they typically do it in the same way they brag about the size of the fish they caught (“You should have SEEN this thing. It was so ...”) But it is rare is to hear men talk openly about their dysfunction in this department. Not even guys who watch Oprah or Dr. Phil are likely to openly admit to what they perceive as weaknesses or inadequacies.On the other hand, three years ago I decided to start telling anybody and everybody who would listen that I have IBS (very liberating, by the way). What astounded me was that four of my closest guy friends turned around and admitted to me that they also had IBS (usually D with a side order of anxiety). I couldn't believe it. We all had the same secret but were too embarrassed to tell each other. Sadly, social taboo is a powerful force.TP

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.