Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I was just wondering how many of us on here actually suffer from IBS on a daily basis, rather than just flare ups now and again. At this time, my stomach has been bad for the last 6wks or so and I just can't seem to get it feeling normal. It's quite hard to explain really. At the start of this flare up I did have IBS-D which is my usual way of suffering and lots of bad bloating but this seems to have settled down now (apart from the odd bloat now and again!). I've also had some IBS-C (although it wasn't extreme and I would go every day), but now I'm not really one way or the other dominant, but my stomach still doesn't feel right. I just can't get it feeling back to normal. It kind of feels like it's been churned up like a washing machine and won't settle. I have no other symptoms - I'm not tired, no nausea, no blood in the stools, no aches or pains and I don't feel particularly unwell and am functioning in my daily life as normal.......but I just have the 'yukky' stomach feeling underlying all the time lately and just know if I could get this under control I'd feel brilliant! I Just wondered if this feeling rings true with anyone else?Thanks Jo

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi All I was just wondering how many of us on here actually suffer from IBS on a daily basis, rather than just flare ups now and again. At this time, my stomach has been bad for the last 6wks or so and I just can't seem to get it feeling normal. It's quite hard to explain really. At the start of this flare up I did have IBS-D which is my usual way of suffering and lots of bad bloating but this seems to have settled down now (apart from the odd bloat now and again!). I've also had some IBS-C (although it wasn't extreme and I would go every day), but now I'm not really one way or the other dominant, but my stomach still doesn't feel right. I just can't get it feeling back to normal. It kind of feels like it's been churned up like a washing machine and won't settle. I have no other symptoms - I'm not tired, no nausea, no blood in the stools, no aches or pains and I don't feel particularly unwell and am functioning in my daily life as normal.......but I just have the 'yukky' stomach feeling underlying all the time lately and just know if I could get this under control I'd feel brilliant! I Just wondered if this feeling rings true with anyone else?Thanks Jo

·
Registered
722 Posts
I suffer with severe ibs symptoms every day,i have done for years.It has ruined my life.No matter what i've tried to help my symptoms,nothing has ever helped!!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had multiple watery D every day for 10years. In 1998 I discovered a flavonoid supplement that has kept that under control since the end of 1999. In spite of that I still have 2-4 soft movements virtually every day. Compared to what this was once like, I have no complaints at all; BUT IT IS STILL THERE, da*n it. (Hi, Thai.)Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Every day. If I manage to eat something and NOT have painful cramps and D afterwards, I celebrate. I also go out of my way to enjoy any moment when my belly feels soft and ralaxed (I have a good hour or two a day).If I focused only the bad times, I'd lose my mind!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When the IBS was bad it was every day.As it got better I started having good days and bad days and now only have a few small flare ups for an hour or two a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I find it really interesting to hear what everyone goes through as it makes you feel less alone! Kathleen how have you managed to get yours under control? My other question is, with so many of us suffering on a daily basis when should we be concerned that it could be anything else other than IBS? What are the red flag symptoms that we should be aware of?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have good days and bad days... but the bad days seem to be overtaken in frequency now
It's all down to my eating and basically me wanting to carry on as I used to, But I understand I have to make the changes now

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of my story is in in the story section and the link is below in my signature.Things to look out for.1. Sudden change in severity or symptom profile. While IBS can fluctuate I do think if you go from diarrhea to being constipated all the time (or visa versa) or your pain level goes up a lot, or is in a new location for you seeing the doctor is a good thing. It may be IBS, but it could also be a gall bladder going bad or something else that can happen to anyone.2. Bloody diarrhea. This should always be checked out. There are a number of acute illnesses that can cause this as well as a couple of chronic ones and the acute illnesses can happen to anyone and you shouldn't ignore this symptom (even if IBS can make hemorrhoids more prone to bleed from constipation or diarrhea issues than you would have other-wise). If you have hemorrhoids and know your normal bleed pattern you don't have to go every time, but watch for any changes (darker color of blood or different amount as even hemorrhoids can get to where they need medical intervention).3. Weight change that make no sense at all, or becoming anemic, etc. after being stable for a long time. Often people with IBS will eat more or eat less (or the types of food they can eat change the number of calories even if the volume is about the same) and so weight can change, but should make sense and change like anyone else's weight. If you are eating more than ever and keep dropping weight consistently or develop nutritional issues when you eat a diet that is sufficient to maintain things like blood count (enough iron, B12, etc) then you should get checked out.A lot of illnesses can effect weight and nutritional status, not just GI ones. They are the sorts of things you usually want to work on earlier rather than later. If the weight loss is from diabetes, for instance, getting your blood sugar stable earlier rather than later is always a good thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jo,My IBS is almost identical to your episode. It started in the middle of summer with a bout of D. The next day, I had lower back pains which worried me, and I felt constipated. Then I would get horrible sharp pains all through my stomach, sides and back. I just can't seem to break this cycle. Fiber 1 did it for me last time, but nothing is working. I've had a few days of normal bowel movements and feeling fine, then it comes back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd have to say I have some symptoms everyday. Some days are much worse than others. It's funny but after a while being symptomatic has become the norm. I'm always happy when I have the rare day with no symptoms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts