Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a non-scientific survey for my own use in educating non-IBSers. I know what my own experience is, and I know what most published sources say, but I'd like to hear from other IBSers.Please either post a total number of symptoms that you have (or had if you are currently in remission) on a frequent or constant basis, or list them here. Please *include* any GI or non-GI symptoms that *you* think any connected to *your own IBS* even if they are not usually mentioned by other sources as "typical." Please *exclude* from your total, as best you can, any symptoms you have that are most likely related to any non-IBS medical conditions you have, if any. If you are not sure, feel free to say so.I hope and expect that this thread may get long in a few days. I will need to be able to focus on the relevant information quickly when I get back to the BB, so please try to keep the thread on topic. If you want to ask or give management advice, vent, or debate somebody else's comment, please start a new thread.Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Overall colon tenderness.Severe abdominal pain in a few locations.Loose stools.Pain when I needed to go to the bathroom that went away after a BM.Urgency.I tend to fart a lot when I don't take probiotics, but that was long before I had IBS so I don't count it.Generally only got bloating with certain medication combinations, not really consistently with my IBS.

·
Registered
317 Posts
lower and/or upper abdomen pain the whole day and only in the evening after a certain period of timecolon tenderness (left side mostly)loose/broken stools daily only in the morninggas/wind evenings and morningssome discomfort caused by gas in the evening and morningurgencyP.S.: due to all that mid day became my favorite part of the day! LOL

·
Registered
168 Posts
I currently consider myself in "remission" though I probably have an attack every month or every few months. I am currently on no medications except for Camila, a progesterone-only birth control pill which eliminates my periods. I mention this because I feel that my symptoms worsen around my period and while this eliminates my periods I have had a few episodes of breakthrough bleeding that caused my GI symptoms to worsen.Now I typically have 1-3 BM in the morning which are formed but somewhat soft. Prior to getting my symptoms under control I had very loose stool varying in frequency based on what I ate, etc. I currently do not restrict my diet except for known triggers – scrambled eggs and Indian food. I do have some gas and discomfort, however, this is variable. For the last month or so, I’ve been having right lower quadrant/right pelvic pain on and off, similar to a dull cramp. I’ve seen GYN and she feels this could be IBS related or could be GYN related, but we’re in watch and wait mode presently. Aside from that, my abdominal pain is typically not too bad.And when you have a chance, I would love to hear what exactly you’re studying!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also consider myself currently in remission.But when i was symptomatic they were as follows:Explosive diarrhoeaslight right upper quadrant pain.Nausea (that could go on for days and days)Extreme weight loss as a result of not eating due to the prolonged nauseaAnxiety.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
In "remission" for 10 years...Explosive D, no stool formation, 6+ times a dayGERD with chronic all day long indigestionHorrible smellsOccasional knife sharp pain at belly buttonAbsolute urgency"Surprise" fartsEczema from food and chemical sensitivities. One food exacerbated both conditionsDaily afternoon fatigue & sleepinessMark

·
Registered
722 Posts
IndigestionNauseaBloatednessFlatulencePilesIncomplete EvacuationSoft bowel movements and Diahorrea which i always strain to passAgonising stomach and pelvic painGrumbling and growling sounds in bowel,stomach,colon,intestinesExhausted all the timeBack painHeadaches/migraines

·
Registered
121 Posts
Daily symptoms, though variable from day to day. That said -Symptoms triggered by every meal, includes either cramping pain in lower left or right abdomen, or general bloating.This pain and/or discomfort is improved after one or multiple BMs. It may be 2-3 hours before this happens.Incomplete evacuation (real or imagined, it's often hard to tell)Occasionally hard stools but not always, loose stools very rareThis is an interesting idea. I do think a lot of nonIBSers are unaware of how debilitating the symptoms can be. So, good luck with your efforts here.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nausea (really bad)Lower abdominal pain (more cramps than spasms but do get the spasms from time to time)FatigueIndigestionLower back painLoads of gasSometimes have urgency where I need to go to the loo as in NOW

·
Registered
205 Posts
Painful abdominal cramps preceeding watery, burning D 5-10 times a day (when I was at my worst, better now)Lots of foul gasVery loud intestinal gurgling soundsSecondary psychological effects including depression, anxiety, insomnia, social isolation

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
In "remission" after using clinical hypnotherapy (IBS Audio Program) since 2001 or soPrior to that:Since 1983 - Incapacitating Diarrhea lasting 4 hours or more almost daily; but certainly several times weekly lasting hoursSevere abdominal pain and cramping preceding and during D attacksLingering abdominal pain after D attacks Severe fatigue and weekness

·
Registered
269 Posts
HeadachesFatigue, dailyLow back painAlternance between diahrea and constipationBloatingGazBurpingGastric RefluxChronic pain between the end of the stomach and beginning of the bowel sometimes under the ribsMucus In stool from time to timenausea

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a really bad attack of IBS since December after a long period of near normality.Loose movements Worse in morningGeneral discomfort upper and lower abdomenDuring this current attack lots of nausea especially first thing in morningSudden cramps (sometimes with feeling of passing out) and urgent BM with explosive wind.Does anyone else have dizziness?One discovery I made was that I have a caffine intoleranceAfter giving it up less IBS attacks and longer between

·
Registered
626 Posts
not sure how many of these are directly related to my IBS/ SIBO, but definitely the top 4 are:bloating/ abdominal distension (remains my worst symptom overall)Incomplete evacuationsoft/sticky stoolsborborbygmus (sp?)chronic mucus in back of throatoccasional mild-moderate nausea (this is new in the last two months or so)chronic heartburn (also new- in the last month or so)occasional, mild abdominal pain/cramping (don't get this that often, thankfully)non-GI stuff:fatiguebody aches, particularly in the joints ( also something more recent)intermittent insomniamild depression (I'm pretty sure this is winter weather-related though)

·
Registered
52 Posts
ConstipationDiahrrea - on rare occassionsBloated constantlyChronic abdominal painGasUrgency in the mornings Feeling like I need the toilet but nothing passes when I try to goDepressionThere we have it - one vicious cycle, the only positive is that I can identify and know what my symptoms are, still trying to figure out what triggers them though.Sophie.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.