Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many people would catergorize their IBS as severe?------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Before getting effective treatment I would categorize my IBS as severe.On a 1-10 scale of pain (10 worst pain ever) almost every day I hit 8 or better and was rarely under a 4 at any time.Stools were frequent (more than 3 a day), and were soft to loose.And it made me cut back on my activities at work (if you can't walk and you can't carry things because both of those set the pain up to a 10, field work is out of the picture) and interruped most if not all of the things I do for fun.Now I'm in remission 99% of the time and rarely have any pain or abnormal stools (still at the high end of normal stool frequency.K.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hey Eric,I would say on a scale from 1 to 10,i can usually deal with the pain and work,but during the "time of the month" my pain is an 10,and other times its about a 5.I will admit,if i have a fight with someone,it will make my pain worse than if i ate something bad,go figure! about 7 days a month,i get a flare up,i do consider it severe at times. K , good for you feeling better
Krissy

·
Registered
538 Posts
HI ERIC. WHEN I AM RUNNING TO A BATHROOM IN A PUBLIC PLACE I CONSIDER MY IBS A VERY SERVERE PROBLEM. Otherwise I feel my IBS-D is at a average levelbecause I try and work at keeeping it under control. But I feel as time passes it is getting worst. This IBS problem creeped up on me like a creep as the years past. Presently this past year I noticed it became worst when my doctor told me I had a serious potassium loss. I then realized I had an ibs problem.------------------

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
These days it's not severe (in the beginning it sure was). On occasion I'll eat something that will cause a severe attack, but that's only about once in every three to four months.Ty

·
Registered
363 Posts
Eric, as you know, Sharyn is diagnosed with MC and IBS and her worse symptom is abdominal pain/cramps. Prior to Lotronex, she was 100% "D" and, due to the pain,her condition was very severe. With Lotronex, I think a fair classification would be, "Moderate with bouts of severe" and the "D" is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
kmottus, have you said what your "effective treatment" was? OOps, I found it under Jeni's (I believe) post to you. Mine was mild before birth control therapy; severe constipation for a period while on the pill; then mild when off it and high fiber diet introduced; then severe stooling, cramping, and bloating during and post antibiotic therapy due to the "super-infection" that developed; then mild once the super-infection was treated with diet and an antifungal. (Although can be moderate if I go off the diet or antifungal for a period of time.) [This message has been edited by moldie (edited 01-12-2001).]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Before I was diagnosed with IBS-D and didn't have any medications, I couldn't eat or leave the house, I would say that would be severe. Now that I'm on medications it's a whole new world.Lena

G

·
I'm probably in the severe catagory. The pain on the 1-10 index never goes below a 4 and at least 3 times a week hits at least 8.the pain is bad enough I vomit from it at least twice a week. I also have D daily and always have to make sure I'm not far from a bathroom at any time.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks I am trying to see who fits into the severe category and why they feel that way. Some of the bb postings get confusing for people because a recommendation for mild IBS may not help a person with severe IBS. Plus, I am curious about this as far as the bb is concerned.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

1 - 20 of 48 Posts