Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
I dunno about the stomach Lady M. I can tell you that my IBS pain is in the upper ab. (Above the navel, just below my diaphragm.) All upper ab tests were negative???? So, maybe my pain is either my transverse colon spazing out or it is referred pain?? I dunno? I know that when I had my ultrasound on the journey to being dx with IBS, where I thought organs were, lol was not where they actually are. LOL I sound so stupid. But it is the truth. The tech told me that I was a slight person and had a low center of gravity. (I tried not to take this personally.) Loads of stuff was lower than I thought it would be. She had a heck of a time getting pics of what she was supposed to because, she said, and I quote, "You have everything jammed all together in a very small area". I think I was just born this way, lol. So most of what she wanted pics of was around my navel or lower. She did a few that went almost up to what I thought would be my diaphragm. However it was a real education as to where everything else was. She was poking that wand around my hip and said "Look there is your renal artery!" (She really liked her job it seems and got pretty excited to get a pic of that. lol) I had thought that would have been higher up, but I guess not.
So perhaps where we think we are having certain things go on in there, isn't actually where they are going on??? I dunno.BQ

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
By definition, IBS just causes pain and altered bowel movements. The pathophysiology appears to be in the brain-gut axis, however, and apparently when that affects the upper gut (meaning symptoms like fullness and nausea), it is considered a different condition, namely functional dyspepsia. It is possible to have the two simultaneously.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BQ, my pain and soreness is up above my belly button. That is were I hurt the most and where the doctor said my bowels laid out behind my stomach. And I am a tiny person too(five foot one and a half). Maybe everything is just crammed in there. I was told I could not have big babies that I did not have enough room. This is an interesting concept. Flux maybe it is two different things. But they go on at the same time always. Pain and soreness around belly button and above. And my bowels rumbling, growling, moving and other symptoms like gassiness, naseous, bloatness. I have gas pain sometimes in chest and upper stomach area, not often though.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Thanks Flux. Functional Dyspepsia, I'll have to read some more on that.Lady M, I dunno about what your Doc said, but I had (granted with difficulty, but vaginally) a 9 pounder! LOL I guess he made his own room???
BQ

·
Registered
337 Posts
Flux, Is it possible some of the uncomfy feelings that come after eating are due to the GI system revving up to deal with food intake? (i.e. how your mouth waters when you see food and how my stomach feels odd after I swallow it) ?Also, What can be done about this dyspepsia?ben

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Wait a minute...(blast! wish Santa could expedite that edit feature
)Flux, pain isn't a hallmark of functional dyspepsia? Or am I missing something?Thanks........Again.
BQ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Listen guys, We ALL know that just because there is pain in our abdomen, that does not mean that the STOMACH is being affected! I mean my most annoying pain is below my left rib cage.. It feels like somebody is sticking a knife into my spleen.. Does that mean that IBS affects my spleen.. of course not. There is no frieki rhyme or reason for our terrible pains. There is no answer to why we suffer terribly. I mean I am up to the point where I take a pocket ALKA-SELTZER everywhere I go!!!! Listen, my advice is (and I am a pharmacist, not a doctor) that if you really feel pain in your stomach then have it checked out. TELL your doctor to send you for a CAT scan to rule out any of the scary stuff. Then you could rest assured that the pain is due to IBS.. good luck and I feel your pain as I am typing!!BRUCE

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:s it possible some of the uncomfy feelings that come after eating are due to the GI system revving up to deal with food intake? (i.e. how your mouth waters when you see food and how my stomach feels odd after I swallow it) ?
This revving up is called the gastrocolonic response and it is precisely the cause as you note.
quote:Also, What can be done about this dyspepsia?
It is important to determine whether there is an underlying motility disorder such as gastroparesis since the treatment for that is different. Creon and VSL#3 may be helpful for functional dyspepsia. Also, H. pylori should be ruled out.
quote:Flux, pain isn't a hallmark of functional dyspepsia? Or am I missing something?
Not really a hallmark as it�s generally more diffuse symptoms like bloating and heartburn, although pain can be present.The pathophysiology underlying functional dyspepsia may still be the same one behind IBS.
quote:TELL your doctor to send you for a CAT scan to rule out any of the scary stuff.
CT is probably not very useful in ruling out conditions in this area. In addition, a disorder like severe gastroparesis is probably much worse than anything a CT scan could find.
quote:Do you happen to have any literature or input on taking codeine
Generally, peripherally acting narcotics are not helpful for IBS.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Thanks Flux and I can personally attest to the truth of your last line there.... didn't touch it.BQ

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BQ, wow a 9 pounder. I had to have a c-section with my daughter due to her having a big head..lol she weighed 7'12. Pharman, I carry gas-x, gaviscon or some type of anti-acid medication with me. I agree that they don't know why we have pain. I had all the bowel series done and nothing showed up except inflamation and the gastro said it was caused by ibs. I have stomach test done, nothing. I had the swallow test done, nothing. I had done twice blood work to see if I had H-plylori, showed negative. Only think I like is the scope down my little itty bitty throat. Only reason I have not had that done yet is due to have a reaction to the drugs they gave me for the colonscopy. I am medicine sensitive. Honestly most of the doctors don't think I have the h-pllori or acid reflux. I don't have any of the symptoms very often. Unless I have the silent kind. But I am never hoarse from acid in my throat. I do get stabbing pain in my ribs too sometimes. It is gas. I got it last night. I bend over double with it. Lasted about a half minute. Husband asked me what was wrong, I said "Pain". From the first moment that I swallow a bite of food, my bowels start rumbling. Sometimes I hate that I have to eat.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I was going to ask this in my last post, do you think that I could take too much over the counter anti-acid meds? There are days I take it all day long. Not for indigestion but for gas in the lower part of my stomach and for upset stomach. And to help with the bloating. Is there any long term effect in taking over the counter anti-acids? You know there have been alot of times that I carry a bottle of gaviscon in my purse(big purse). I take it out and swig it right after a meal if I am having a bad tummy/bowel day. I know if that was whiskey I was swigging I could be category of being an acholic. I wonder what category I fit in for swigging gaviscon")")

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why aren't opiates helpful for IBS with pain and D flux? Some people have said they helped them...Also, in that other thread we were talking about spasms, if you can have pain and D without spasms, why take anti-spasmodics? All the ones I've taken (donnatal, bentyl, levbid-levsin.. prolly more).. Have really done nothing for D or pain, so perhaps I fit into the category or pain and some D without terribly abnormal spasms/contractions?Just curious,I could talk to you and eric for a long time..
Got IM or something? =]ben

·
Registered
337 Posts
Arg wish I could edit,But Flux, it seems like people with C often also have pain and 'cramping'. So it seems like their intestines aren't pushing things through too quickly, so I'm really getting the point you were making about it being a brain/gut nerve problem. It seems like 'spastic colon' was the old diagnosis when they had less information... but now it seems the spastic part is only a possible problem? Am I correct in thinking this? I plan on mentioning these things to my doctor if they tell me I need to try yet ANOTHER anti-spasmodic. But really.. what's left for me to try? =]ben

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Vogue, The codeine has C for a side effect, that is why some may say it helps D. I dunno about you, but nothing narcotic helped me with the pain I had. I tried over time codeine, percodan, vicadin, and darvaset and I was shocked when none of them did anything much for the pain. I mean at times now, anit-spasmodics can help me. But bar none, Hypnotherapy/Relaxation was the Only thing that cut the pain out completely for me. Yeah, I know, weird huh? I thought so too, but it actually made sense when I read up on it.And for me, I'm noticing that if I can stop the pain, the D is insignificant or MIA.FWIWBQ

·
Registered
337 Posts
BQ,That really sucks, I should look into this hypno stuff. I'm pretty skeptical of things... a lot of things have I have bought didn't do a damn thing. I can tell you tho, that I have gone to ER a couple times, and after various surgeries, I have had oxycodone and darvocet. I've taken oxycodone about 5 times for a couple weeks in each go, and I felt totally normal during those periods, as far as I recall... no pain from eating, no pain in the morning... I think different things work for different people because 235123525 things are labeled 'IBS'. Thanks for the information though... I'm sorry none of that stuff worked for you, I wish I had a doctor that would at least let me try. I've taken a lot of stuff, and I am tired of waking up and being sick, and having it attack me in public.. and just in constant paranoia of pain and D.. I know most people here have had IBS longer than me... but MAN.. this gets old fast. =]ben

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Ben, My Doc didn't "let" me try it like you intimated. I tried it like you did. I had left-over pain killers from various other surgeries/mishaps etc and two weren't even mine. My cousin couldn't look at me in pain like that and said "Try this or else!" So I did, but nothing in that class of meds really helped. Old??? Yup. Big time old. That is why you will see me mention hypno/relaxation techs alot, because they gave me my life back. I was just dysfunctional with the pain. And now, I can use just hypno/relax at times and other times I supplement it with the anti-spazes. Another thing I noticed is the anti-spazes work better for me post-hypno.Here is a link about the HT/Relax. Check it out. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=11;t=000732 Hope this helps you and you feel better real soon.BQ

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:it seems like people with C often also have pain and 'cramping'. So it seems like their intestines aren't pushing things through too quickly,
Technically constipation is a condition separate from IBS when pain is not present. Anyway, seems to be that half have slow or delayed transit and the other half have normal transit. Delayed of slow transit can be caused by too little peristalsis or too much segmentation (mixing motion), so there�s no immediate way to know what�s going on in terms of gut motility. Constipation with normal transit probably results from insufficient fiber.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.