Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I had my gall bladder removed back when I was in high school. (that means a LONG time ago)
I don't remember if I had IBS before that since I was a sick kid anyways before that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my gallbladder out two years ago and it did definitely get worse. I went from IBS D and C to D with urgency and cramping. Unfortunately at the same time a drug I had been taking with some success was d/c so difficult to know why the change.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pagota, Here are a couple websites that explain why some people have constant diarrhea after gallbladder removal or possibly associated with their gallbladder. It's technical name is cholerrheic enteropathy (bile salt diarrhea). It amazes me how clueless some doctors that take gallbladders out for a living can be....Hope it helps you guys. Print them out and take them to the doctor with you. http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1728.60456 http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/bilesaltDiarrhea.html One of the highlights of the first link:"Diarrhea after eating may be the only clue that a patient has gallbladder problems, Habba says. "We never connected chronic diarrhea to gallbladder dysfunction before. Now we do." He recommends testing gallbladder function before tagging patients as having irritable bowel syndrome or other conditions.""I want to make this known to other practitioners," he says. "Many of my patients were diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, but did not respond to irritable bowel syndrome therapy. I changed their medication to cholestyramine [Questran], and all of a sudden their symptoms got 100% better. It's a dramatic difference." To read the full abstract of Dr. Habba's work you have to register but it's free. Go to the link below and the article is in the August 2000 issue of The American Journal of Gastroenterology. http://www.medicinedirect.com/journal/journal?sdid=6076

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa! Thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll leave my gallbladder in place even if it is malfunctioning. Did you all have D or C? Sounds like the pain is worse and if I had my GB removed it would be to get rid of the pain. Thank you all again, you've helped me in my decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also had my gallbladder out after 2nd baby - symptoms definately did not get better -- they got much worse- Since then, they have also removed the uterus, cervix and did some repairs to intestines and pelvic structures - much better now - strangly enough I can tolerate milk which I could not touch for over 4 years -Have any of you lost ALOT of weight from IBS?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I guess I'm the odd woman out here. I had my gallbladder out a year and a half ago, and my symptoms (diarrhea) got MUCH better. I would say I am about 80 percent better than I was before having it out. I believe all the "sludge" I had in my gallbladder was contributing to my chronic diarrhea. I still have my days, and I just went in for comprehensive testing, which showed that I don't have enough stomach acid, so I am not digesting my foods correctly. Dr. gave me digestive enzymes and told me that was probably the reason for the gallstones in the first place--not digesting food properly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bellyknot,I found the following link which you may want to read before you decide about having or not having your gall bladder removed. http://www.emedicin.com/med/topic2740.htm This is an article about post-cholecystectomy syndrome and has some very useful information about what you may experience after the surgery as a result of no longer having your gallbladder.My personal experience is that the surgery was the easiest that I ever had done. But the long term effects are hard to categorize as either feeling better or worse since the procedure. I definitly am rid of the extreme and acute pain, but am left with a chronic dull pain that interferes with daily life activities like eating "normally" (mainly quantity more so than type of food) and sleeping un-interuptively. I am on daily pain meds so I can eat two meals a day. However I have had two other surgeries on my abdomen that may be the real cause of my chronic pain issues.In researching gall bladder disease, I ran across this article which contains alot of information that you may want to ask your surgeon about. Hope this helps you with your decision making. LaurieJ

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bellyknot,I think that I have downloaded this in MicroSoft Word. If you would like, I can somehow send it to you as an attachment. I really think it has some good info in it as far as what to expect after surgery based on what you are feeling before surgery. It will not outright tell you whether you should or should not go through with the procedure, but will give you something to consider when weighing the "risk / benefit" when it is still considered an elective procedure (of course, if the condition turns acute.....the decision then becomes easy!)LaurieJ

·
Registered
332 Posts
I didn't have a chance to read the posted article, but one of the problems experienced with gallbladder removal is something called Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. This causes the same type of pain as the patient experienced before the gallbladder is removed. It is suspected that this is often the cause of the pain in people who still have their gallbladders who are experiencing biliary type pain, who have their gallbladders removed by doctors who erroneously attribute the pain to the gallbladder. Unfortunately, it is too common for doctors to have the "when in doubt, cut it out" attitude toward gallbladders, when this may not even be the cause of the pain in the first place. What happens is the sphincter muscle that leads from the common bile duct to the small intestine becomes narrowed, or has spasms, so this is the real source of pain, and taking out the gallbladder will do nothing to solve this problem. JR

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh wanted to also add that I have had a few "non gallbladder" attacks since having it out. Just as painful and you would swear you still had a gallbladder. But mine was very diseased though, full of stones. So I know mine still needed to be removed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.