Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. When people talk about how they vomited, like from a stomach virus (like the Norwalk one going around now), how much do they exaggerate? I mean, I have heard people say they threwup like ten times in a couple of hours, is this really possible? Then I hear other people say they threwup twice or once. That sounds more logical to me. I know I sound like a total nut, but I have emetophobia, a fear of vomiting. Every winter I get so scared about catching these stomach viruses. But I do go to a psychologist for my fear and I have been going for 2 years, and believe it or not, I am a lot better than I used to be. It's just that last year and this year these viruses seem to be hitting closer to home (family, friends, etc.), and I am getting so scared. So tell me the truth, how much can a person really throwup? I think the frequency and amount and inability to control how much is the part that scares me most. Thanks for listening and sorry I am such a freak!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I think it's possible. I'm one of those people that when I start I can't stop. Until I get some kind of anti-vomitting medication in me (typically be suppository too!). Usually I can vomit 3 or 4 times in an hour. But once I'm just down to "vile" in my stomach, my body feels like it needs to throw up constantly. After a while I won't get that relief after throwing up, if that makes sense. By that point I'm usually in the ER trying to get those suppositories! Which always knocks it out and I won't throw up anymore for the rest of that flu. So I guess it is possible, but more likely I'm guessing most people probably throw up 3 or 4 times an hour!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds about right to me.. plus after that, you can just dry heave and not really puke. I know it's probably pointless... but when I am really sick... REALLY sick.. I go throw up and feel a LOT better. Throwing up isn't pleasant... but it's a helluva lot better than crapping yourself in public... hehehe. At least you can puke in a garbage can, or just in the grass.. and no one is really gonna care. Try having D in the grass/bushes... people will care.. lol. And you don't even need toilet paper for your mouth.. I -WISH- I only threw up..
ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
about the throwing up. i get what the er doc calls spasms. which means i constantly want to throw up whether i have anything in my stomach or not. if i manage to throw up something i get relief for a few seconds then the pain gets worse. i end up in er where they give me gravol and pain killers. throwing up sucks

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have to think the amount you throw up depends on what is wrong. I've been so sick with a bug in the past that I could throw up a few times and hour for hours. Other times it was once or twice and it was over except for the ginger ale (my family drink to deal with the heaves).I hate throwing up -- I do it so violently that I break what I assume are capillaries in my face and sometimes even my neck (I loved when my family doctor was a bit appalled by this and told me not to do it - like I have control?)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
HiI am not sure if you want me to answer your question or not...I have a condition called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and when it use to flare up I would vomit 34-35 hours non-stop..Without any medication helping it...It would always make me feel alot better if I could throw-up..Dont be scared of this you will never get it..It starts when you are about 4 so I have had this for 40 years and I am still here...It is good you are walking through your fears..Now the same way you feel about throwing up I am that bad when it comes to seeing a mouse
I have the worst fear of those things...Total Panic !! I have throwed-up many, many times in my life and I am still here and kicking and sitting here at work on the computer !! Probably should be doing some work
Keep working through your fears and remember they are just fears and will probably never happen..Now tell me that about a mouse

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I had my last attack, I thought I was getting dehydrated so I drank a very large glass of water. Within minutes, I threw up not once but 3 times within about 15-20 minutes. Then that afternoon I threw up several more times even though there was nothing in my stomach, it was mostly just bile I think. So in one day I probably threw up at elast 5-6 times. I've never really thought about it since I don't do it that often but I dislike it too. Makes my throat burn and get really sore. Not a pleasant way to spend a weekend!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bonnie MissBonnie -
No you are not, necessarily, a freak, its just that we have very challenging problems, and they are not the result of you being odd at all.
Illness does not mean you are strange, or even that your problem is strange. And so many of us are like that, so its normal then.
You likely have a logical fear of tossing cookies due to a weak muscle in the throat - do you have reflux, or hiatus hernia? We protect our selves from geting food aspirated into our lungs, and your body may have a unique way of ensuring that, maybe it happend a bit once. when we really need to get rid of something that way, it can be quite easy - have you ever had one of those? My experiences are only with the sudden violent headaches of Migraines, about once a month. Lcuky. I vomit about 3 times in an hour, or a fast as twenty minutes. My headache temporarily goes ka-blam when i toss from the blood pressure in the head increasing. Its awful, I dread it, but I can't stop these ones tho', and there is often relief from the headache after. Of course you should worry about it, and ask every question that comes to you. We are here, lets learn something eh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.