Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go back and forth. Sometimes a stressfull thought can trigger my stomach pains and sometimes it doesn't. What comes first, the thought or the pain????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, Irish!Hey, stress really does a number on me. I mean, there have been times where I'm perfectly fine, and then something stressful happens and WHAMO!!Ongoing pain is stress-inducing in itself, so I really don't know the answer to the chicken/egg scenario, unless they're scrambled eggs!
Mike

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Irishpatrick, they do not believe IBS is caused by stress or anxiety, however they are extremely interwoven and it is a very complex matter. There are many issues such as serotonin, hormones,and chemical and electrical circuitry.Stress and anxiety are even two different issues, but they are also interwoven in IBS. A couple things for you to read. http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0497web/gastro1.html http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000403/gut.htm ------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Stress can make all kinds of "real" health conditions--that is, ones drs. wouldn't dare say are "all in your head"--much worse. Studies have shown that symptoms of everything from the common cold to cancer are exacerbated by stress. That doesn't mean it's the CAUSE of IBS, though. Of course, IBS creates its own stress, worrying about finding bathrooms, embarrasing gas, etc.

·
Registered
661 Posts
SRESS & WORRY have made my IBS go from acute to chronic!!! But I'm doing great these days by taking control and not letting it control my life anymore.... Feeling almost back to normal since letting go of alot of junk a few weeks ago... Go figure.------------------Breck (Atlanta) "Chronic Pain""His strength is made perfect in my weakness"

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it is mental I belive is has to do with though-patterns... We are in a bad mental cycle who is hard to break free from. This makes stress and depression even more hard to deal with.Another theory is that if you CAN'T feel stress och nervosity in your stomach this means that the function doesnt work. You have pushed away alot of feelings and those unfelt feelings builds up a mountain. Bigger mountain --> Bigger IBS. If you learn how to "feel" with your stomach again, you're cured.take care/Maceo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maceo this is the theory that my accupuncturist is saying to me. He said that I have always bottled up my feelings and i have so much fear inside of me. i can see his point but i have not got more fear that I am going to be lying here in my room flat on my back for the rest of my life! My IBS causes me stress and emotional upset. Who knows? i shall continue with my treatment with him and let you know if i get any joy, could take years though!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I don't know if IBS is more of a physical ailment or a mental ailment, but I can tell you this...IBS had definitely made me feel like a MENTAL CASE!------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Heather B: I was on acupunture for a while. I didnt do much... though, Im having some needles at home I use sometimes... Yes, I sting myself. 4cm down in my stomach.. hehe... Do it yourself, it works better, because the therapist cant feel where you are tense and hard. I feel excactly where I shall put my needles. (left hand between thumb and long finger, left and right lower belly, and two on the middle of stomach. Its a kickstart... take care/Maceo

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm with Rose on this one. Good one Rose, couldn't have said it better myself
runnL8------------------"A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother". (C/D-type)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I started doing Yoga a few months ago. It seems to help when I do it at least three times a week. My doctor recommended it as a method for reducing stress and therefore IBS. He and I both know that stress makes IBS symptoms worse. The Yoga is very calming and relaxing.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
ditto what others here, such as eric and zig., have said. "stress" can play a big role though isn't necessarily the primary cause. in my own case, I think I've almost always had a "sensitive" nervous system, which has only gotten worse over the years. I think that has made me more prone to IBS, headaches, and misc. other neuromuscular problems throughout my body.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hi irishpatrick! Honestly, I don't think that stress plays a part in my IBS. If it did, then I should have major "D" on days when I don't, and vice versa.What I do think is that perhaps certain personality types (such as myself) are more prone to getting IBS. Maybe...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts