Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of protein do you eat? I keep hearing to eat chicken or turkey & to avoid red meats. Also some don't eat pork to help their ibs. The IBS diet (Heather) says to not eat egg yolks because of the fat. I'm off all dairy because they give me D. I seem to be lactose-intolerant even to cheese & yogurt. Lately I have a couple of graham crackers or some oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch is usually barley with a tablespoon of olive oil, some salt & pepper. Dinner is the problem. Also it's just about my only source of animal protein for the day & I have about 2-3 oz. of chicken. Not sure if this is enough protein. Getting real tired of chicken & turkey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say we have a lot of veggies at dinner. Cooked carrots, potatoes, green beans dressed with olive oil. Raw: spinach, green peppers, tomatoes. I don't usually have veggies any other time during the day, but sometimes I add leftover cooked veggies to my barley/olive oil lunch.

·
Registered
830 Posts
mary, i'm going to assume you are IBS-C since you're posting on the C board; in which case, you might want to think about cooking both your spinach and green peppers: cooking leafy greens breaks down their cellulose which makes them go through you like water through a sieve and peppers are hard to digest (pain, bloating, gas) raw. secondly, there is NOTHING wrong with egg yolks and if you suffer from C than not eating "fats" will make things worse. of course, i'm referring to organic eggs only and organic meats and poultry only. in this day and age, it is imperative to stick with organic sources of animal protein and i include fish in that category as farm-raised non organic fish in the states is even more poisonous than a standard steak. plus, middleaged women should eat lots of eggs which are great for us. i still maintain that heather's book is written for ibs-D dominant folk. i personally eat red meat several times a week and poultry, but they are organic. and if you are Blood Type O, and believe in the theory of eating for your blood type, than eating red meats can actually be beneficial for you. however, it is important, in my opinion, to eat and purchase meat responsibly, organic, free range, etc. you might want to think about adding the following to your daily diet: soy and or goat/sheep's milk products, cooked veg at lunch with your barley, and especially: protein in the morning for breakfast as opposed to carbs only. i often eat leftover salmon or herring for breakfast, when i have breakfast. and i eat a lot of eggs which work for me. again, organic only. clearly i don't have to point out the dangers of non organic animal protein sources: steroids, antibiotics, growth hormones, never mind the inhumane and awful treatment of the animals. just thought i'd throw my two cents in, best, g-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ghitta, thanks for all of your suggestions. They make a lot of sense. Yes, I'm type O, but I don't know if I believe in eating for blood type--I've read a little bit about it. I do know that prior to getting IBS the kinds of foods that made me feel the best right after eating them were foods with some fat included. I used to go on the diabetic exchange diet because it's the only one that ever worked for me & the only one that didn't leave me always hungry. I noticed it is called a high fat diet, so it makes me wonder. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I will give them a try. Best to you, Mary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding that I started out with IBS C-D possibly entrenched with taking a lot of Imodium AD. Since I developed an anal fissure after several months of C-D, I'm focusing on getting the stools soft, but not diarrhea. The fissure pain responds to Ibuprofin, but I'm usually only able to do things about 1 hour out of 4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ghitta - I have found Heather's book very helpful for me personally, and I only have IBS-C (really badly). I have eliminated red meat and egg yokes. I also have been taking citrucel and have been doing a variety of the other things she has suggested for the past month and half, and whoa what a difference! I'm not 100% cured, as stress will bring on my C, but have found much relief. I suppose everyone's body differs from person to person. I just know that when I eat any kind of red meat, dairy, egg yokes, or high fat/fried foods I get constipated for a day or two and feel miserable. Since I have eliminated all of this I am feeling sooo much better! I still have bad days, but as I said that is usually stress related. I hope and pray for the best for all of you and hope you are able to find some relief!!
God Bless, Jules

·
Registered
830 Posts
jules, good for you. anything that works for any of us, and of course, we're all unique with our digestive stuff, is wonderful. eliminating fats (animal proteins such as egg yolks, red meat, etc) doesn't necessarily work for me but if it does for you, excellent! g-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.