Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can remember, I have had terrible problems with my abdominal pain and the whole nine yards. I have had two colonoscopies (showing only minor colitis), a barium enema, sigmoidoscopy etc. How often do these tests need to be done? I had the X-Rays done in February along with the sigmoidoscopy. Could anything serious result in 10 months? This horrible anxiety is my worst problem. Resulting depression is a close second.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Maggiemac, I would consult with my doctor again with your questions and ask him if the colitus could get worse in that amout of time or if it is in remission. I would think it important to stay on top of with him and have him relay any off your fears and to help in releiving the symptoms.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Maggie,If they find polyps in the bowel you must have a colonescopy done every year. If you go 2 years without having polyps then you can skip a year on the test.Other tha that it is a test to help diagnose other problems in the bowel that would be up to your GI doc.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MaggieMac,Welcome to the board......------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI MAGGIEMACMY GASTROENTEROLOGIST SAID THAT COLONOSCOPIES ONLY NEED BE DONE EVERY 3 YEARS EVEN IF POLYPS ARE FOUND. I HAD A POLYP AND HAVE ONE DONE EVERY 3 YEARS. POLYPS ARE VERY SLOW GROWING SO EVEN IF THEY WERE TO GROW IT WOULD TAKE THAT LONG FOR THEM TO BE SEEN AND REMOVED.

·
Registered
820 Posts
When my polyp was removed, I was told that I should have had one the following year, but I didn't. I had one this year and everything was fine so my dr said I don't have to have another for 3 years. But, I need to visit him once a year if I have no problems.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hello other Maggie. I see your name, and think..... It all depends on your situation, and what your doctor says as to how often you should have a repeat. After the prep, for me I would rather it NEVER be repeated.Maggiew------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HERE, HERE! Those invasive tests are the worst. If I never see another gallon jug of "instant gag juice" it will be too soon! If you've had three of them and they never find anything significant it should be safe to say you should'nt have to have antother for a very long time. Also, let's find another way to purge rather than that gallon of icky salt water. There must be a better way.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi MaggieMac:The prep for these tests is awful. I think that's the worst part. I don't understand why they can't find easier ways to test us rather than making us suffer. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had colonoscopy 2 yrs. ago and they removed 3 polyps (precancerous kind). Doc told me I only needed to have colonoscopy every 3 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.