Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here, we go again...I just got off a bout of D for the past week because of my period and hormones. Today, of course, I am back to being C. The thing is, I now get such anxiety if I don't go to the bathroom. I feel like if I don't go, everything will get so backed up that it will become impacted and I'll have to go the hospital or take a laxative (which is so INTENSLY painful for me). I don't know if all this IBS worrying is too much. Growing up, I usually had a bm every two to three days, but now I am crazed if I haven't gone in one day! When I started taking Citrucel about six months ago, at the advice of my gastro, I was going everyday for months. Now, all of a sudden, its not working as well. And of course, I am straining because I feel like I have to have a bm everyday or who know what will happen! Therefore, the hemmies are growing and I know that is a bad thing as well. I think my mind has taken this too far...I would like to see what is normal for people with IBS. I know "normal" varies, but I just want an idea so I can stop driving myself crazy. I am an IBS C/D so any and all info would be great. So my question is: How often do you have a bm?

·
Registered
523 Posts
For me, it does vary. I feel my best when I have one good BM in the morning. But then there are days when I have numerous loose BM's within a couple hours--this makes me feel sick. When I have a day like that, I usually wish for a C day and hope for a normal BM the next day. With IBS anything goes! It seems like I go into remission for awhile and then I'm back to square one. My daughter has a better attitude than me--she says I go when I feel like going and doesn't worry about the amount, consistency or color.Tania

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with Tania, it varies. Mine sounds the same as yours. Mostly I'm C then oh, no here it comes, the sharp pain, the hot flash, the mad dash to the bathroom, almost always in the morning. It's been awhile since I was "normal" where you go and there is no pain and it actually feels good. How I imagine normal people have a BM. I may go everyday for a week or more then it stops for no reason. Back to the C followed by D. I take Citrucel every night but I don't think it does much for me.Don't stress over going everyday. I don't think IBSers can go everyday. Normal for us is maybe 2 or 3 times a week. My doctors said that is fine, not everyone does go everyday and yet, some lucky souls go more than once a day, my brother and mother for instance.Don't strain if you can help it because it just makes roids. Don't force it, it will come when it wants to. I find there isn't a whole lot we can do about it except keep trying different meds. What works this week may stop working next week. I,for one, know that fear can only make it worse.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your replies. I am finally calming down about the whole C thing. I took 2 Colace the other night and I have gone two days in a row. And let me say, I lived it up on those two days because heaven knows what's in store for tomorrow. I will no longer be concerned if I don't go everyday. But I would like to at least go every other day.My IBS is directly linked to my menst. cycle so I am learning to change my diet according to the time of the month. At times, I follow Heather Van Vorous' diet (soluble fiber rich), but at other times it is way to C for me. Then I switch to a more fruit and fiber rich diet. My husband is learning with me how to keep track of this all! I put a different Good Foods/Bad Foods list on the refrigerator at different times in the month so we can all keep track and plan meals accordingly. Hopefully, this new diet plan I have devised will help me. I guess only time will tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.