Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of how often an IBS sufferer should get a colonoscopy and/or sigmoidoscopy performed?I have had 2 colonoscopies performed with biopsies and 2 sigmoids over the past several years. There was no evidence of IBD in any of the tests. However, I have not had any of these tests performed since January 2000 (although I have had blood work and stool samples done since then).I am sometimes concerned that my IBS might have developed into Chrons or Ulcerative Colitits, especially when I have a bad flare-up of D and mucus. BUT I really don't want to go through anymore unnessray testing for obvious reasons (not fun!) and also because it tends to aggravate my symptoms afterward. So how long can you trust the results of a colonoscopy?

G

·
The way I understand it is like this...If you have a colonoscopy for cancer screening, and nothing significant is found,then you can go 10 years until your next one, assuming you have regular check-ups and do fecal blood tests yearly or (every five years?)You can wait that long...10 years...because it takes that long for cancerous growths to grow.Now if you are having a colonoscopy for other reasons...which I don't know of...then it is up to your doctor.Colonoscopies are recommended for people tostart at age 50.Earlier-- for other symptoms, problems, family history.Does this make sense

G

·
The way I understand it is like this...If you have a colonoscopy for cancer screening, and nothing significant is found,then you can go 10 years until your next one, assuming you have regular check-ups and do fecal blood tests yearly or (every five years?)You can wait that long...10 years...because it takes that long for cancerous growths to grow.Now if you are having a colonoscopy for other reasons...which I don't know of...then it is up to your doctor.Colonoscopies are recommended for people tostart at age 50.Earlier-- for other symptoms, problems, family history.Does this make sense

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that makes sense- thanks for the reply. I wonder how often you have to perform to detect Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns.I am 28 and female so I guess my chances of developing IBD is greater than colon cancer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that makes sense- thanks for the reply. I wonder how often you have to perform to detect Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns.I am 28 and female so I guess my chances of developing IBD is greater than colon cancer.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I would suggest every 2 to 3 years since you have bowel problems already. My sister's GI has her on that schedule due to our family history and her IBS. If your symptoms do not change or get worse then every 5 years would probably be ideal.[This message has been edited by Nicol (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I would suggest every 2 to 3 years since you have bowel problems already. My sister's GI has her on that schedule due to our family history and her IBS. If your symptoms do not change or get worse then every 5 years would probably be ideal.[This message has been edited by Nicol (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts