Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Just wondering how long between colonoscopies is recommended when a polyp is found? My doctor said 3 years, (1 polyp was found.) However, for my husband they found 3 and didn't recommend a repeat colonoscopy. I'm confused! Thanks.

G

·
I think maybe it depends on the kind of polyp they found. I've always been told to have colonoscopies every five years, and they never found any polyps at all. A few weeks ago, they found my first polyp, but the doc said I really only needed one every ten years. I was stunned and asked why. He said it was because the kind of polyp they found isn't the kind that becomes cancerous. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with waiting 10 years for another colonoscopy, but that is what my doctor recommended.

G

·
I think maybe it depends on the kind of polyp they found. I've always been told to have colonoscopies every five years, and they never found any polyps at all. A few weeks ago, they found my first polyp, but the doc said I really only needed one every ten years. I was stunned and asked why. He said it was because the kind of polyp they found isn't the kind that becomes cancerous. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with waiting 10 years for another colonoscopy, but that is what my doctor recommended.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always thought you were suppose to have a colonoscopy every year or so (after initially finding polyp(s)) until you had a scope where none were found, and then you could go quite a few years between. I'm somewhat of a worrier, so I would rather it were done without that much time in between..but maybe that's just my paranoia working overtime.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always thought you were suppose to have a colonoscopy every year or so (after initially finding polyp(s)) until you had a scope where none were found, and then you could go quite a few years between. I'm somewhat of a worrier, so I would rather it were done without that much time in between..but maybe that's just my paranoia working overtime.

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I had my colono, nothing was found (therefore, I was told no to go back for another 10 years
). However, my Dad had one in 94 and they removed three polyps. After the procedure, he had to get tested every year for two years. As of 1997, he was told to go every five years...Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I had my colono, nothing was found (therefore, I was told no to go back for another 10 years
). However, my Dad had one in 94 and they removed three polyps. After the procedure, he had to get tested every year for two years. As of 1997, he was told to go every five years...Nat

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your replies. I found some info regarding how often follow up colonoscopies should be performed; thought it might be useful to others:Dr. Timothy Hoops, Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Gastroenterology Division at the University of Pennsylvania and Director of Gastroenterology at Penn Medicine at Radnor, responds: "In the early 90's, a study was done in which about 1500 patients who had undergone polypectomies were divided randomly into two groups. One group had follow-up colonoscopies at 1 year and at 3 years. The other group had a repeat colonoscopy at three years only. That study demonstrated that there was no difference between the two groups in the number of recurrent polyps or cancers found. This changed the practice of gastroenterology from yearly follow-up colonoscopies, which had been the standard, to every three years. The same researchers have shown that if there were less than three polyps and they were very small, it was probably safe to even wait five years for the next procedure. This data supports what is known about the biology of the development of cancer. In most, if not all cases cancers develop from adenomatous polyps. The process of going from normal tissue to polyp to cancer is quite long extending from 10 to 15 years and possibly even longer. Thus, the longer intervals between colonscopies after removal of a polyp is safe and reduces the discomfort and small risk associated with these procedures."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your replies. I found some info regarding how often follow up colonoscopies should be performed; thought it might be useful to others:Dr. Timothy Hoops, Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Gastroenterology Division at the University of Pennsylvania and Director of Gastroenterology at Penn Medicine at Radnor, responds: "In the early 90's, a study was done in which about 1500 patients who had undergone polypectomies were divided randomly into two groups. One group had follow-up colonoscopies at 1 year and at 3 years. The other group had a repeat colonoscopy at three years only. That study demonstrated that there was no difference between the two groups in the number of recurrent polyps or cancers found. This changed the practice of gastroenterology from yearly follow-up colonoscopies, which had been the standard, to every three years. The same researchers have shown that if there were less than three polyps and they were very small, it was probably safe to even wait five years for the next procedure. This data supports what is known about the biology of the development of cancer. In most, if not all cases cancers develop from adenomatous polyps. The process of going from normal tissue to polyp to cancer is quite long extending from 10 to 15 years and possibly even longer. Thus, the longer intervals between colonscopies after removal of a polyp is safe and reduces the discomfort and small risk associated with these procedures."

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes, three years seems to be the standard. I was told that for a few people, though, the timetable may be different. One of my doctor's patients has to come in every 6 months or so since his polyps are fast growing. Three years has been scheduled for me. Heather Joy, did your husband have hyperplastic (generally harmless) polyps instead of adenotamous ones, maybe? Even so, if it were me, I'd want a repeat colonscopy at some point.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes, three years seems to be the standard. I was told that for a few people, though, the timetable may be different. One of my doctor's patients has to come in every 6 months or so since his polyps are fast growing. Three years has been scheduled for me. Heather Joy, did your husband have hyperplastic (generally harmless) polyps instead of adenotamous ones, maybe? Even so, if it were me, I'd want a repeat colonscopy at some point.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My doctor said every three years since I always had a polyp. (I didn't the last time though for the first time.) Seems this is standard. I've even gotten to where I don't dread them too much. Just something I need to do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My doctor said every three years since I always had a polyp. (I didn't the last time though for the first time.) Seems this is standard. I've even gotten to where I don't dread them too much. Just something I need to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To HipJan,I didn't realize, until recently that there are different types of polyps. My doctor just told me I had a benign polyp and we would check again in 3 years. After doing some research I'm assuming that mine was different than my husband's since he has the same doctor and nothing was said about a 3 year follow-up. These are questions that we definitely need to get answered. This gastroenterologist is supposed to be good but is not very informative. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To HipJan,I didn't realize, until recently that there are different types of polyps. My doctor just told me I had a benign polyp and we would check again in 3 years. After doing some research I'm assuming that mine was different than my husband's since he has the same doctor and nothing was said about a 3 year follow-up. These are questions that we definitely need to get answered. This gastroenterologist is supposed to be good but is not very informative. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My doctors say two years, probably since I seem to have small, benign polyps everytime I have this done. It seems that you get on a cycle. I just grin and bear it, and consider it something I have to do, esp. since I have IBS...Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.