Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 24 and I've been dealing with IBS for 7 years now. I definitely fall into the category of having urgency anxiety and constantly having to go to the bathroom the instant someone mentions going out somewhere or whenever I have to go do something outside of somewhere I feel comfortable. After much soul searching, I believe one of my issues if not having that "empty" feeling before I go out. I will go to the bathroom multiple times within minutes on a daily basis. It has gotten so bad that I just don't do certain things anymore because I hate dealing with that anxiety. I never feel empty.I've been reading alot about fiber and how it makes you regular. What I am striving for is to be able to go to the bathroom once, maybe twice a day and have good bowel movements where I feel empty and don't have to worry about going to the bathroom for the rest of the day. If I had that assurance that I had my one BM for the day and that I wouldn't have to go unless it was due to a legitamet reaction to food or a cold it would help me very much with my IBS and psychological reactions. So my question is if anyone has any suggestions when it comes to helping my body become regular? I have a very solid diet and it never really fluctuates. I eat the same things pretty much every day at the same time during the day. Any advice would really help because an ideal situation for me would be a BM every morning before I start the day. Is it possible?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The most normal pattern for people is to have a BM in the morning, because that is when the colon is most active, so what you want is in the realm of what is supposed to happen.Various medications and treatments can be used to obtain regularity. One that works for quite a few people with anxiety that causes urgency is mind-body work. The mind talks to the gut nerves (and visa versa) so changing the dialog can be quite helpful.www.ibsaudioprogram.com is one thing that a fair number of people here use. Check out the Cog. Behave. Therapy and Hypnotherapy section of the board if you wanna check that out.For some people with this type of issue small doses of Imodium regularly (like 2 X a day every day) can calm the reaction down. For other antispasmodics do the trick. Some find that various antidepressants will effect the gut nerves and the communication well enough to control this sort of thing.And if you haven't been to the doctor for this you do need to do that to make sure it is IBS, and they can help you with prescription medications.K.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I found the IBS audio program worked will for me - it's a IBS specific hypnosis program. It's been the best thing for me to deal with those thought patterns I've built up over the years - getting in a car for a road trip, being in long meetings, etc. And it's helped with the actual symptoms - I have far fewer problems in general. and it's a happy cycle - fewer symptoms lead to fewer bad thoughts wheich lead to fewer symptoms, etc. and when I do have an attack, i can better control my reaction to it. I'm not 100% but much betterI used to use fiber regularly and it did help some - I alternate between D and C. Now i only use it if I'm C. I also do still use immodium as a preventative at times. nancy

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is very difficult to find assurance. I usually have my bms in the morning, which always vary in consistancy and amount. However, I frequently have the feeling that there is still more, along with lower ab cramps etc. I think these feelings are staples of ibs. Passing gas sometimes helps too. I used to run to the bathroom everytime I'd have the slightest urge, only to strain and pass nothing or a tiny amount. Now I try to go about my business and ignore the small urges, and be alert to the real more pressing urges, and really hope there is a bathroom nearby. Ah, such is the life of an ibser. Anyway,hang in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on day 6 of the IBS audio program. Both of my parents have anxiety problems; my mom has IBS and my dad has various anxieties which he is on zanax for. So I "learned" IBS. And blood tests show that I am very healthy and my diet is excellent. I just have the issues of going potty many many times a day due to overloads of stress and anxieties about going to the bathroom whenever there isnt one around. I really want to become regular! I depend way too much on immodium but that's it. I don't take anything else and I most likely never will because I am a firm believer on not taking medication for mental illnesses and IBS is definitely a mental illness. I'm not shooting on anyone that does, I commend you for taking action and helping yourself. I just have my views and restrictions. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
IBS isn't a mental illness for everyone. I was perfectly healthy, went to a third world country & got really bad food poisoning. I was fine after that until I gave birth to my son. I had IBS from the first BM. I never had anxiety/worry problems until the D got really bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I have done to help become regular. First I totally stopped eating my known problem foods. Then I started eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning. And put myself on a regular sleeping cycle (try go to bed every night at the same time and wake up every morning at the same time. Of course tonight I am up way past my bedtime). This had dramatically helped with the D, abdominal pain and has helped be become more regular.Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.