Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is scared of the side effects, but she hasn’t tried any of the options. Her ulcerative colitis is bad enough that she hasn’t worked in over a year. She’s often tired and sometimes her colon hurts. Only treatment is FMT and Lialda, but it’s clearly not enough.

Any thoughts, facts or studies that may help change her mind and help her give biologics a try? Like some facts about how allowing inflammation to spread makes things worse…

or any research-based counter argument to “but biologics don’t address the root cause, they just mask the problem by suppressing the immune system.”

·
Functional Nutrition Gut Health Coach
106 Posts
Hi Capecod, this is a tough situation, but I do believe that allowing the autoimmune inflammation of ulcerative colitis to continue can cause long term damage. It's true that the biologics don't address the root cause. For that you would need a different approach (have you ever found Crohns Colitis Lifestyle? Natural Healing for Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis) But they can buy you time while you figure other things out, and as long as you can keep from getting sick with the immune suppression, the medications don't have long-term lasting side effects once you stop taking them. (I just happened to have a consultation with a rheumatologist this week about one of my own health issues and got this info directly from my doctor.) I hope that helps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts