Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who run your own business, in senior management positions, or even managing to build this forum into such a successful one... how do you cope? How do you manage to do that with IBS? A lot of healthy family and friends ask me how can I cope with the daily chores and stress of running a business, I honesty do not know, I just do want I needed to do. I think they asked because they think I am a workaholic. But with the pain of IBS, it is exhausing me. I feel exhaused, frustrated, very stress every time I have epidsodes. At times I will fall into deep depression and just do not want to pick myself up anymore. When the whole world is waiting for you to response to their email, voice mail, resolve issues, make decisions... from baby sitting employees and suppliers, to socializing and responding to clients, I am very tired! When episode strike, the piles of work that needs to be dealt with just keeps on piling up if I just lie there screaming and moruning, and the next few days I would feel like I wanted to just disappear from the world!I recently hired an executive assistance, but still, I still need to make sure I give clear instructions and communicate what needs to be done, answering questions, etc. I have one to two small episodes a week, maybe a severe one once a month. Should I just sell my business and move on? But move on to what? After all I still need to find a way to pay the bills.Any suggestions, personal experiences to share are much appreciated. Cecilia

·
Registered
35 Posts
For those of you who run your own business, in senior management positions, or even managing to build this forum into such a successful one... how do you cope? How do you manage to do that with IBS? A lot of healthy family and friends ask me how can I cope with the daily chores and stress of running a business, I honesty do not know, I just do want I needed to do. I think they asked because they think I am a workaholic. But with the pain of IBS, it is exhausing me. I feel exhaused, frustrated, very stress every time I have epidsodes. At times I will fall into deep depression and just do not want to pick myself up anymore. When the whole world is waiting for you to response to their email, voice mail, resolve issues, make decisions... from baby sitting employees and suppliers, to socializing and responding to clients, I am very tired! When episode strike, the piles of work that needs to be dealt with just keeps on piling up if I just lie there screaming and moruning, and the next few days I would feel like I wanted to just disappear from the world!I recently hired an executive assistance, but still, I still need to make sure I give clear instructions and communicate what needs to be done, answering questions, etc. I have one to two small episodes a week, maybe a severe one once a month. Should I just sell my business and move on? But move on to what? After all I still need to find a way to pay the bills.Any suggestions, personal experiences to share are much appreciated. Cecilia
Well, I don't think you should give up on your business. One way or another you have managed to handle it all this time. IBS is a very strange sickness, one day you feel like #### and then the next day you feel fine and it happens all the time. I would suggest you to keep being patient, train your assistant correctly so if you have an episode she can take care of everything and take five minute pauses (at least) every hour so you can breath and relax; it will help you to relax your bowel too. There are times in which I feel that I want to throw in the towel, but then I breath and think that all my efforts cannot be wasted just because my bowel does not cooperate and I also believe that I can be stronger than my body.I don't know if it will help you but just don't give up!!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I was a retail business owner for 7 years of my IBS ordeal. I cannot say exactly how I got through it, other than to deal with the problems as they came up. I knew when my D would be at its worst, and so scheduled myself around those times. (Lunch was always an hour, to allow for the toilet. I never left to run errands, make pick-ups, have meetings until after 1 PM. I made sure the shop was covered in the early morning, etc. I always had a change of underwear in my office.) I also knew my energy levels would crash about 2-3 in the afternoon. If getting to something is going to cause too many difficulties, put it off if possible. Just address things that must get done, and train your assistant in making as many decisions as possible. Try the self-hypnosis CDs that are promoted here and/or add some form of mindfulness to keep your pain and depression from totally overwhelming you. It is important to know that others are dealing with similar challenges as we.Somewhere along the line I was talked into trying supplements for my general health, and that made all of the difference for me. I went from being someone who was not at all sure how much longer he would be alive to now hoping to still be on my bike through my 70s. These kinds of changes are possible. I realize that you are from Columbia, and so your brands will be different down there; but try to see a good naturopath or other consultant to find what are the best absorbed minerals you can get. That may well help you with your energy problems. I have had tremendous luck in treating my D with a flavonoid supplement, based on red grape seed. Maybe something like that would help you, as well. Introduce yourself at the local vitamin store and see if there is anything they can suggest. Best of luck with this and try to remain optimistic. Things are only hopeless until you find a way out of the mess.Mark

·
Registered
473 Posts
Find a good 2IC that can do it all for you. Your health comes 2nd to nothing.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Cecilia I can relate - I used to have episodes lasting 4 hours or more several times a week, was on every med there was, with a very severe case of IBS. Hypnotherapy was helpful to me, even when all else failed. IBS is very exhausting - my gastroenterologist compared an IBS attack with doing 1000 situps in a row - and I agree!If you would like info on the home use hypnotherapy program - the IBS Audio Program 100 - that has been discussed successfully on this BB since 1998, please checkthe links below - you can also call for more information at 877-898-2539 and they are happy to help.Dont give up on your business - there is hope - and there have been many many people who have gotten their lives back after doing this program...All the best to you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.