Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBS is so poorly understood by the medical community that you almost can't blame people for thinking it is "all in your head". In addition to the typical IBS symptoms, I think most of us are very in tune with what is going on with our bodies and we may get more anxious about something that someone without IBS would barely even notice.I know there are people out there who don't think there is anything wrong with me. I don't think my fiance knew how bad I was on a daily basis until we moved in together. How do you deal with it?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
newsjunkie Were you able to view this program. Have you watched it?http://www.ja-online.com/dukeibs/#Also these are two things that help explain IBS to friends or family who don't have it.IBS explained for people who do not have IBS (Get Adobe PDF Reader) http://www.ibsgroup.org/main/brochures.shtmland IBS Companion - CD or Cassette An informative and instructive guide about IBS for the non-sufferer. "All to often, we forget that IBS not only affects the sufferer, it can have a detrimental effect on the lives of those around the sufferer. Holidays and days out might often be cancelled or restricted. It is not easy having IBS, it is not easy supporting an IBS sufferer either. This short recording is easy to understand explaining the symptoms, common fears, and the explorative tests that IBS sufferers have to go through to be diagnosed as having IBS. For those around the sufferer, it will provide insight into this most troublesome condition. For the IBS sufferer it can be a good source of explaining IBS when you have tried or you are tired of explaining it to others. With gentle soothing background music this recording adds to seeing both sides of the IBS equation. Recorded by Michael Mahoney, known by many sufferers for his gentle, patient approach and for his support in helping IBS sufferers and partners too."http://www.ibsaudioprogram.com/new_audio_titles.htm

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you printed up the brochure from this site? It is very helpful for those who don't understand what IBS is.I have gone for years with some members of my family not understanding what I have gone through with IBS all this time. My sister has given me a very hard time over the years. I have grown very tired of being blamed for having IBS and her cruel remarks. It has changed our relationship. As a matter of fact at this time there is no relationship. It is funny, she has accused the family about not caring about her situation, but has blasted my for something I have no control over. I miss talking to her, but don't miss her nastiness.Sometimes those people that don't understand need a wake up call. Show them the brochure. But one more thing, having IBS is NOT your fault!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.