Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the community, I am Brazilian and I have been suffering a lot with the syndrome ...Want to know how do to stop the pain?I have irritable bowel syndrome for 1 year, I did several tests and gave all normal. Only I have a lot of pain ... sometimes they radiate to the back, burning, after going to the bathroom quite burning.My doctor has Benestare and lonium, but still annoying feeling constant pain more light on the right side of the abdomen.Help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Diana, I am taking lonium Benestare and (this is helping me a lot, I'm going to the bathroom every day), but little pain and discomfort have not gone yet, I've had too duspatalin, digedrat, dicetel and none resolved, Buscopan for me is water ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Diana, I am taking lonium Benestare and (this is helping me a lot, I'm going to the bathroom every day), but little pain and discomfort have not gone yet, I've had too duspatalin, digedrat, dicetel and none resolved, Buscopan for me is water ...
Are you in the uk sali? I've never heard of Ionium Benestare, does anyone know what it would be called over here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found peppermint oil and pills help with the pain. Peppermint is a natural anti-spasmodic. I don't like taking a lot of medication so I try the natural remedies. Heat also helps me, I just lay on a heating pad when it gets really bad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the community, I am Brazilian and I have been suffering a lot with the syndrome ...Want to know how do to stop the pain?I have irritable bowel syndrome for 1 year, I did several tests and gave all normal. Only I have a lot of pain ... sometimes they radiate to the back, burning, after going to the bathroom quite burning.My doctor has Benestare and lonium, but still annoying feeling constant pain more light on the right side of the abdomen.Help!
Hi Sali,I would suggest the following1) Keep your mind off the your bowel all the time. Do not worry or stress about it. Do not focus on the pain. This will help reduce the pain and also de-link the mind body dysfunction that is occuring.2) Eat healthy, live healthy your diet is important. 3) Retrain your mind with positive confident thoughts and visualization. This is the opposite of anxiety and will alleviate pain and the bowel dysfunction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Sali,You could try a low dose tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). I have had good success with doxepin (generic name), I take 50 mg in the evening. Without it I have continuous stabbing abdominal pain, 24X7. And no amount of healthy eating, exercise, tai-chi, yoga, "happy thoughts", etc will make it go away! Not to be rude to skoshland, but it is mighty hard to ignore 24X7 stabbing abdominal pain when you just want to double over and curl up in a ball, but of course you can't because you have to be at work, acting like nothing is wrong.There has been a lot of research on TCA's helping with pain, so it may be worth trying for you. It has made a big difference in my life.I can really feel for you, I know how frustrating dealing with IBS on a daily basis can be. Good luck.Zanne

·
Registered
722 Posts
skoshland...maybe you could explain to us all how you keep your mind of your pain/symptoms,as i am sure some of us would be interested and it may help,it is not easy to do this,when you are suffering all the time.Also how how you retrained your mind?

·
Registered
39 Posts
skoshland...maybe you could explain to us all how you keep your mind of your pain/symptoms,as i am sure some of us would be interested and it may help,it is not easy to do this,when you are suffering all the time.Also how how you retrained your mind?
Alright if I do not put you to sleep with this! This treatment is real and there is good reason for it to work. No doubt that CBT, Hypnosis and antidepressants can help with the IBS. This is just a way of treating the IBs yourself.There cannot be IBs without your brain. To say that is all in your gut in not correct. The pain is perceived in the brain. The constipation is percieed in the brain. Obviously, the CBT, Hypnosis and anti depressants are all affecting the brain. There are two things you can do for the IBs. The pain and constipation are percieved in the brain. No matter what is causing the pain and sensations, it is well known that IBS people are more sensitive to their gut sensations. Somehow, our mind has become conditioned to focus on the sensations from the bowel and interpret them as painful. These perceptions lead us to subconsciously further make the IBS worse by initiating responses that are transmitted through the Autonomic nervous system to the bowel further inhibiting motility and thereby making the pain and constipation worse. The pain and constipation create anxiety and frustration that again make the pain worse and send inhibitory messages to the bowel through the Autonomic connections. (try getting frustrated or angry about something and see how this affects your IBS) This is a feeback loop. You need to de-link the brain gut dysfunction to reduce the oversensitivity that we have. It is not to say just ignore the pain, you must ignore the bowel altogether. You can refocus on other things that are going on with your body or in you daily routine. (creating a mental attitude also helps you refocus) This also means to not worry or get frustrated about when you will have your next movement or what sensation comes from your bowel. Ignore all day and all night. Focus on anything but your bowel. Try it.Express Positive Confident thoughtsYour thoughts and emotions are like drugs. Emotions can hurt you and they can heal you. Frustration, anger, certain stress all worsen the IBS. These emotions increase the perception of pain in the brain. They also send a message through the autonomic nervous system to the bowel and inhibiting bowel motility. So if these emotions can worsen the IBS, another behavior and emotion can alleviate the symptoms. These emotions will lessen the pain perception and send the correct message to the bowel. It is not to say that you can express these emotions all day long but by doing this when possible you just may find that these are a healthy outlook that will improve not just your IBS. It is important to note that these emotions are not just happiness or calm which alone do not correct both the pain perception and the motility of the bowel. The affective emotions are confident affirmative thoughts (these are essentially creating emotions that you would experience while being on an anti depressant without the Prozac or whatever.) These emotions decrease pain perception and also send normalizing motility messages to the bowel. so try to visualize something that makes you really confident about yourself or life, your accompishments and visualize something psitive about your day. Tell yourself how good you are!! Look forward to something in the day. Also, by focusing on these you will not be focusing on your bowel. This is really more powerful than taking a drug because this is specific for the disease state. It is not to say that all is in your mind. Diet and life style (excercise, sleep etc) are very important as well.Treat the mind, treat the body. end the ibs

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Lots of great information there - thanks for sharing it! Everyone has to find their own way out of this IBS condition - I too struggled for years and took every med under the sun - hypnotherapy (the IBS Audio Program was the one I used) was the most helpful - if interested, feel free to wade thru my long story in the journey link below - but there is hope, and many folks have been able to get a grip on their IBS symptoms this way!If you have any questions about the program, do feel free to ask - and their is free support if you do decide to consider the program... all the best to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts