Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had IBS for the past 5 years, and unfortunately it is been termed "refractory" by several doctors. This basically means that a treatment will work for about 2 months for me, and then cease working. It sucks -- as you all probably know. For the better part of 4 years I avoided all romantic relationships because of my symptoms (diarrhea, gas, pain, etc.). Then bam, when I wasn't looking for it, it happened. So I'm finally in a relationship for the first time in almost 5 years with a guy I adore. We've been dating for about 9 months now, and he's really supportive. But, I have not actually told him precisely what is wrong with my health (not that I totally know myself). For the past 2 weeks, my IBS has been out of control, and my meds that are my "failsafes" are barely making a dent (Lomotil, Immodium). I also had surgery a little over a month ago for rectal prolapse, which unfortunately has made my incontinence issues worse. So, it probably comes as no surprise that I am a bit anxious about intimacy at this point in time. Anyway, I want to have a conversation with my bf about this, without going into too great detail about my symptoms, but at the same time conveying enough information so that he understands the magnitude of it -- if that makes sense? I am just starting to see a naturopath, which I have hope for, but I know that might mean making a lot of changes in my diet. I already can't have dairy and can't drink alcohol, which my bf knows, but I'm afraid that if I continue to have to eliminate foods from my diet, its going to be really hard to go out to eat. Does anyone have any advice to talking to loved ones about allergies/food issues?? And any discussion advice for me? Thanks so very much for reading my post -- this forum is about the only way I am reassured that I am not the only one living with "severe IBS."Julie

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts