Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

HS student in trouble, please help me

543 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  marianne 
G
#1 ·
Hello, I am a 16 year old HS student, that isn't going to HS
It all started around 7th grade when I noticed I had some Bowel problems. I just felt like I had to go to the bathroom alot, and it was irregular. As time went by I began to pin point my problems, I next decided it was a gas Problem, and did everything I could to get rid of gas, Charcoal, Gas-X, ect.. Finally just recently I have wondered wether it might be a mild form of encopresis, or anal incontenance. Its kinda hard for me to go into detail, because its rather imbarrassing, but I guess I must. I used to think it was just Gas, but I now think it is More then that. i feel some anal Leakage, and some iregular bowel Movments. Its more like a kind of weak feeling, like I have to go to the bathroom, but its constant. I always thought it was Just gas, because everywhere I went people would snif, probably Unintentionally. I get weird looks when people notice, and sometimes people have gone to the extreme of telling me I stink, but the Sniffing is constant. where ever I go people do it. since about the end of freshman year I have been out of school, I have gone through the school in a sort of homebound program, but its hard for me to even go out in public for fear of people noticing my problem or Making fun of me. Maybe some of you are experincing the same feelings I am, and Know if there are any medications I can take, or changes I can make to my diet. I feel like Maybe I'm getting somewhere with this encopresis notion. I am going to see a doctor as soon as posible about it. but until then I would like to find out more on my own. thank you

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Carlos--Sorry to hear about your awful bowel problems. And what a time to go through it--high school! I don't know much what to do about incontinence, since I don't have it. But there was someone else on the BB, a young woman who is in high school too, who started studying at home because of cruel students who made fun of her gas. I hope she'll see this in post. Definitel go to a good gastro ASAP!! Before this gets any worse.Best of luckDogwood

G
#3 ·
I'm very glad to hear you are going to see a doctor. Tell your dr. everything you have said here.Please keep us informed.------------------MarthaPS - Good luck. Check the posts here for helpful info.[This message has been edited by Martha (edited 03-02-99).]

G
#6 ·
Carlos you are one smart guy. I have never heard of encopresis and am going to check it out. I have had that same feeling about the leakage. I have the same symptoms, and am making an appointment to the Dr. now. Hang in there and take care. Kat

#7 ·
Hi Carlos,I read your post with empathy, as I know first hand what you are going through. When I went to high school some 30 years ago, I often had little or no control over expelling gas. It seemed it happened when I had to go up front in the classroom for one reason or another. I was continually scared it would happen or embarrassed it had happened. I couldn't tell from your post if you are experiencing this same thing or if you actually have feces leakage. If this is the case, you may not be allowing your BMs to completely finish before getting up from the toilet. If this happens, some of the BM remains in your rectum, thus coming out involuntarily. Also, if you have the diarrhea type of IBS instead of constipation, try taking the Caltrate Plus so many of us on this board swears by. The preferred dosage is one with each meal, or you can read some of the posting about Caltrate Plus to see if this could help you.Good luck, and keep in touch. Let us know how you're doing.Ann

#8 ·
Hi Carlos, I am 16 and in highschool also. You get used to it, but remember DON"T EAT ANYTHING FROM THE CAFETERIA...bad stories I could tell you about that..lolI am blessed with "silent" gas, so nobody knows it's me (besides my close friends) and I can even blame others for it..8)highschool sucks enough, it's bad to have to put up with IBS also, but good luck.Make sure if you go to school your teachers know about it-that way you can get out of class whenever you want 8) that's the only good part about it..lolTake care.......Katherine.

G
#9 ·
Hi Carlos. I hear you! When I was in High school (I'm in college now) I have had simular situations! I have had of course rather shall we say, embarrassing moments regarding well, flatulence, but as I am also a 'D' type, I have had some close if not actual embarrassing accidents! My gut (especially triggered by stress) tends to go into 'hyperdrive', and can catch me off guard. The suddenness and unprepardness has led to rather noticable embarrassments. As you too may have experienced, sometimes when I think it is a fart to let out, well, its more than just gas! I have ruined more underwear that could cost equivalent to the national debt! My folks have always ragged on me about my dirty undies, but they must realise that I CAN'T HELP IT! So I do indeed know what you are going through, though my situation is not so much as incontinence, but situations that catch me so fast and catch me off my guard. All the best. If you like to chat with me (though my access to a browser is rather limited, I have touse a library terminal as I don't have my own PC yet) I would like to hear from you. Please feel free to chat with me anytime you like.RUNNYBUTT------------------[This message has been edited by RUNNYBUTT (edited 03-03-99).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.