Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! me again.... Does anyone get gas if they haven't eaten in a while? If so, any theories as to why? I'm just thinking that if I have gas when i get hungry, its some sort of bacteria or something

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Does anyone get gas if they haven't eaten in a while?
Gas has two sources in the gut. The atmosphere and the bacteria. The bacteria make gas based on what's there to eat. If you don't eat, they don't make gas..and the amount of gas you is reduced by the amount. It appears gas in most people is largely from the bacteria so not eating virtually eliminates gas. Any gas remaining must be from the atmosphere.The simplest explanation is that while you are not eating, your gut is just moving through gas that was there from before..so the actual amount is not anymore but you are just noticing it more. Eventually, I suspect it will nearly stop (say after two days of fasting).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have to agree with Flux. If I go a while without eating, I start to feel actual sensations of air and gas in my abdomen. Eating more seems to numb the sensation so that I really can't distinguish the gas from any form of bloating.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The following in bold was taken from this link: http://www.badgut.com/intestinal.gas.html quote All people have gas in the intestinal tract, although proportions vary from person to person. Studies on young adults have shown that the average person generates 1 to 3 pints of gas a day. This gas comes from two sources: exogenous or ingested (swallowed) air, and endogenous gas, produced by colonic bacteria. Studies have shown that intestinal gas is composed of various amounts of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane. Oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide come from swallowed air while hydrogen and methane are produced in the colon by bacteria acting on food residue. Careful analysis of intestinal gas has shown that about ninety percent is ingested air and only ten percent is actually formed in the intestine. quoteJadair--- :love:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
You have to be careful with quoting secondhand sources.
quote:Studies on young adults have shown that the average person generates 1 to 3 pints of gas a day.
Young adults? I don't seem to recall that it they were that particular. In any case, the subjects in one study (the only real study) consumed beans. So presumably without beans, the number would be a fair degree less.
quote: carbon dioxide come from swallowed air
Nope, it comes from the gut bacteria mainly and none of it from the atmosphere. There is virtually no carbon dioxide in the atmosphere compared to the other gases, anyway.
quote:while hydrogen and methane are produced in the colon by bacteria acting on food residue.
Many people do not produce any methane.
quote:Careful analysis of intestinal gas has shown that about ninety percent is ingested air and only ten percent is actually formed in the intestine.
Nope, it seems they have it backward!I checked that webpage and also discovered...
quote:Almost no air is swallowed during sleep
quote:Some individuals, when drinking a cup of water, have been noted to swallow twice as much air as water ingested, especially when drinking through a straw.
These two statements sound like they were just made up for the article.Since this source seems like a site that intends to be reputable, I sent them an email query about their posting of these "facts".

·
Registered
559 Posts
flux,i don't see you putting your reference in your posts. where do you get your info from? maybe you could share this with others as well. where do you get your "1st hand source" from.or is there another problem, flux??Does anyone see a problem here, like I do??Does anyone else, including moderators see anything wrong with the way I'm posting the facts, besides flux. I do see a conflict with "something"...wonder what that is.I thought they were easy to understand, and the link was there for all to read.Have a great day/night.Jadair--- :love:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Brockbaby,You are just as normal as the rest of us are.
also I don't see any arguement here. I'm here to learn as much about IBS as I possibly can. I find out an awful lot with the posts made back and forth. I mean no harm, just learning.Too much knowledge never hurt anyone.Writing and speaking in person, or on the phone is a lot different. What some people write is taken in a different way to others then the person who wrote it.
flux,nice site. very interesting. thanx
Jadair--- :love:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry
its just that some ppl fight w/ Flux, and i took it that u were too, but i guess that's not the case.... i apologize! See the reason I ask, is that i'm not so sure I have IBS....i really only react at certain times of the month and if i'm nervous... but some ppl who don't have IBS experience the same thing! so i want to see if I really DO have IBS Thanks for all your replies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.