Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what not eat? But what should I be eating? I have become desperate; I don't eat breakfast nor lunch. Basically, I go from 7 am to 3:30 pm without eating until I get home from work. Unless, I have to go out.What should I be doing?

· Registered
194 Posts
Well, at least we know why you are grumpy! But seriously, I can't comment on skipping meals, some folks on this board will tell you that if you do you will make your condition worse. That hasn't been true for me. The only thing that I can tell you, that has worked for me, is to eat smaller meals 3x per day; take a calcium carbonate pill with each meal; and take a teaspoon of soluble fiber (I use Benefiber) with each meal. This routine has kept me D free about 98% of the time for the last several weeks. I still have pain and urgency, except now with a solid stool, and I am still working on those problems, but since I found this website I have hope for the future. As far as your "trigger foods" go, you will have to pay strict attention to your diet and of course avoid those things which don't agree with you. I hope someone with more knowledge than I will answer your post soon, good luck.

· Registered
8 Posts
Grumpy...I'm not sure why others haven't responded to you here, but I'll offer what I can.You say you know "what not to eat". I can only assume that means you've identified your trigger foods. Just eat what's not on that list.I'd also suggest you eat smaller portions...just a little at a time and see how it works.I personally avoid fresh fruit and uncooked veggies unless I'm at home (or going to be there soon).If you're not sensitive to milk, you might try a protein shake or some of the protein bars.I also shy away from things that are too bulky, like 2 slices of bread in a sandwich. Instead I'll use a tortilla, put sandwich materials on a cracker, or even an open face sandwich with one slice of bread.One of my staples is "cheese and crackers", again, if you're not sensitive to milk.Notice what feels good in your belly and make a list of those things.Hope this helps a bit.

· Registered
2,822 Posts
You could try the BRAT diet (banana's, rice, applesauce and toast). I too try not to eat or eat too much if I have somewhere to go.When I do eat I generally stick to a piece of toast with butter or dairy free marg (depending on if you can do dairy).Rice-always good, and helps to bind you up.You could have a protein shake and use rice milk instead of dairy milk.Dry crackers, like saltine's or salada are great.Rice crackers are also good.Clear soup when I've got bad D, keeps me hydrated and I feel like I've had some food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.