Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first appointment with a behavioral therapist on the 10th. I decided to try hypnosis, I was wondering if anyone has had results and what can I expect? I've tried 7 antidepressant had side effects from all of them, not real fond of that method. Anxiexty over IBS is much worse than actual symptons. Having an attack is the first thing I think of no matter what I have to do. I've recently been promoted in a job I'm confident I can do however...I am in meetings constantly and I am always thinking what if I have to leave etc, you all know the drill. Eventually I do have to excuse myself because I have talked myself right into an attack. So off to the therapist I go, I need to learn how to quit obsessing.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
paulsbabydoll, I have a ton of information on this. Including questions to screen a therapist for IBS how effective it is, what it can do, what it is, what to expect you name it. I am sure I can help you.Ask away on here or on the cbt/ht and anxiety forum.This is worth reading.www.ibshypnosis.com http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/hypnosis.htm Questions to ask.First Option� The first option requires finding a qualified hypnotherapist and undergoing a series of sessions in his or her office. The therapist should discuss your IBS symptoms with you and what you hope to achieve in terms of reduction. You will then lie down in a comfortable position and the therapist will use one of several techniques to induce a state of hypnosis. Once you enter this state you should feel deeply relaxed, and you will be asked to stop thinking consciously. As stress, worries, pain, and negative thoughts are cleared from your mind you will focus with intent concentration on the instructions the therapist gives you. The suggestions you�re offered may use imagery or other creative thinking to help your symptoms diminish or disappear once you�ve returned to a normal waking state. To achieve results, a patient needs self-motivation, repetition, and believable suggestions.[10] For IBS sufferers, the first requirement is practically a moot point. No one is more likely to want an improvement in your health than you, as you�re the one suffering from the symptoms. Having this clear intention and motivation for change will help the hypnotic suggestions take hold in your subconscious and manifest successful outcomes in your daily life. Repetition of the suggestions must be reinforced by repetition. Typically, hypnotherapy sessions need to be repeated on a regular basis until you notice an improvement. Your therapist may also give you a tape of your session to listen to on the days you do not have an in-person session. You are trying to change a physical health problem that you�ve likely been struggling with (and emotionally impacted by) for quite some time. A single hypnotherapy session or two will not be enough to overcome your IBS � it will take a little time and dedication to therapy on your part. The third key to successful hypnotherapy is the use of believable suggestions. If your subconscious is to accept a suggestion, your mind must first allow that it is a real possibility. This is why it is crucial that a hypnotherapist be knowledgeable about your particular problem (IBS or otherwise), how it physically and emotionally affects you, and what constitutes a realistic address of your symptoms. The real fly in the ointment when it comes to finding a suitable hypnotherapist for IBS is that there are so few in America with experience in this field.[11] As a result, you will need to grill any prospective therapists with the following IBS-specific questions:[12] Q: How long have you been practicing IBS hypnotherapy in particular? A. A minimum of 2 years is necessary simply because IBS is a complex syndrome, and there is really no such thing as a typical IBS patient Q: Can you help IBS sufferers? A. If they give any other answer than an unqualified, unhesitating �yes� to this question, get up and leave. If they say they�re willing to try and treat IBS though they haven�t in the past, get up and leave. Q. What is your success rate with IBS? A. Hypnotherapists need not only experience with treating IBS but demonstrable success rates, so they should have impressive statistics at their fingertips. A minimum of an 80% reduction in symptoms among patients is to be expected. Ask how they arrived at their figures, whether they conduct follow-throughs with patients, and if so for how long. Q: What is IBS? A. A qualified IBS hypnotherapist will know that IBS is a functional digestive disorder with multiple symptoms. They will know that these symptoms can vary, and they should certainly know what the symptoms are. If they can�t name a number of symptoms with ease they�re simply not familiar with the disorder, and you should find someone else. Q: How many sessions will it take? A. You need to know this to help you budget for your treatments. IBS should improve after 2 sessions and be much better by 5. Some general questions to ask a prospective hypnotherapist: Q: Where did you train, and for how long? A There are many training organizations, and some are much more credible than others. Full-time coursework for 2-3 years plus an additional year of in-service training is the minimum. Q. How much will this cost? A. You may or may not have insurance coverage for treatments. If you don�t, be cautious with payments up front. Q: Do you receive an audio tape of the session? A. Progress will result more quickly if you are given an audio tape of the session you have just taken. Q: Do you have letters from past clients that I can see? A. Most hypnotherapists who have truly helped people, particularly with a problem as intractable as IBS, receive overwhelming gratitude from their patients in return. At a minimum the therapist should be able to offer you a telephone referral to past patients who are willing and happy to discuss their treatment and results. Q: Do you offer a pre-session consultation? A. All patients are different, particularly when it comes to IBS, so this is a necessity. It is how a therapist gathers information about you prepares a treatment aimed at your specific needs and goals. A question the hypnotherapist should absolutely ask you: have you been thoroughly examined and diagnosed with IBS by a medical doctor? If they don�t ask you this they�re not qualified, as any hypnotherapist familiar with IBS will know that it cannot be self-diagnosed. http://www.firstyearibs.com/day7learnlive2.html Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.