Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Hypnotherapy? Brain-gut concept?

471 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cookies4marilyn 
#1 ·
I'm surprised (and relieved) to see that other people on this board have IBS probs that are almost entirely brought on by the fear (anticipation, etc.) of not having the option to use the bathroom. My husband was cleared of Chrone's more than a year ago but has increasingly been having a problem with having to go urgently when it's not okay -- he's a firefighter and you can imagine the times that are just not okay. He's literally normal when he knows he CAN go if he has to (no urge, nothing). He's not letting on that he's terrified of eventually losing his job (it means so much to him) but I can see it's got him so worried which then increases the problem. Wondering if anyone has any experience w/ hypnotherapy -- specifically the IBS Audio Program 100 -- or ANY other suggestions that might help him BELIEVE he's in control of when he goes to the bathroom. Any help is much appreciated.

#2 ·
If you scroll down the board there is a whole section on Hypnotherapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with lots of stories especially for program you mention.A lot of people have good results, in clinical trials hypnotherapy and CBT tend to help something like 70% or more of people in the trial.I did CBT for my IBS and it did a remarkable job of reducing my symptoms.K.

#3 ·
Thanks so much. I've actually never been on a board before and don't know the ins and outs. Prior to posting I had only scrolled through topics in one area. I now see that there is a ton of info on the subject, having learned the "find" option
. Thanks for your prompt reply.

#4 ·
Angelina , I use to be a fire fighter, I know what he is going through.Have they said he has IBS?If you have any specific questions on hypnotherapy for IBS or the program ask away.The program has helped many people.Its not just for anxiety, although it can help with that, but for the symptoms themselves.Part of what your husband sounds like he is going through is the fight or flight responce and symptoms.

#6 ·
Welcome Angelina, (yes, I agree, you have a beautiful name)
Take a peek at the links below for more info on the IBS Audio Program and CBT and HT - I came to this BB in 2000 after having IBS starting in 1983 - been to Mayo, had every med there is, and successfully used the IBS Audio Program as did Eric and many on this BB -You can read more about it here:http://www.IBSCDS.com and the links below which includes the Hypno forum and success stories and clinical studies of HT.Also, as a result of being helped by this program and finding out about it here, I now work with Mike (the program developer) from England, and if your husband or you would like to speak with someone about this, you can call toll-free from the number on the website and let us know a good time to get back to you. Part of the purchase of the IBS Audio program is live support via the website, this BB, email and/or the phone - if it is needed - so the sufferer is never alone in their journey to healing.Feel free to contact me if you wish - we are all here to help... after years of being housebound with IBS myself, this was the best treatment over all for me and for many others.What you describe does sound like IBS, but of course, it is important to make sure there are no other problems.Take care, and hope this helps - We are happy to help further if needed once you have taken a peek at the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.