Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Hypnotherapy: Its Effect on The Symptomatology and Patho-Physiology of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.By Dr. Lesley A Houghton,PhD,Lecturer in Medicine and Physiological Sciences, and Manager of GI Physiological Services, University of South Manchester, in the United Kingdom. Dr.Houghton talked about a number of studies that have confirmed that Hypnotherapy helps with bodily pains, backaches, urinary urgency and the quality of life. Hypnotherapy is very effective at improving the symptoms of ibs, pain, bloating and abnormal bowel habits. The Doctor also said studies show that patients who are very anxious and/or depressed seem to do just as well as those patients who are not. The effects of hypnotherapy on ibs lead to a reduction in use of medication and patients taking less time off work. Most patients that had hypnotherapy were still better after 18 months after treatment. Hypnotherapy in a recent study shows that it works to reduce rectal sensitivity also. Anyone with a question please feel free to ask. I will look in the papers I was given for the answer.Tim

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hi Tim, Thanks so much for posting this. I was eagerly awaiting some news from somebody regarding the conference!BTW Hope you are feeling well & have had no more trouble w/your breathing, wasn't it? Glad you were able to attend the conference anyway.Sure, I can ALWAYS come up w/a question or two
.What did she mean by "rectal sensitivity". Is that the incomplete evacuation symptom? Like pelvic floor muscles not doing what they are supposed to?Also, was there any #'s on lets say, % of people that showed a reduction in pain, C, D or C/D? Or was it just a general overview of several studies? Were the studies recently done?See, I told you I could come up with a "few" questions!
Also, Have you done any hypnotherapy yourself? If so, what symptoms have been affected if any?I'm so glad you could go to this, I was slightly jealous, sorry
. BQ

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
rectal sensitivity usually refers to a particular phenomenon found in IBSers in certain experiments.You put an uninflated special medical-type balloon in the rectum.You inflate the balloon.People with IBS will experience pain and urgency at inflations usually at lower levels of inflation than normal people. And for each level of inflation they experince more pain and urgency than normal people. I've had this test, it's just loads of fun
.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kmottus is right as rain as usual. The studies are recent. The Doctor said 80% of the patients that had hypnotherapy were still in remission after 18 months. Patients with functional dyspepsia in which hypnotherapy was compared with either H2 blocker or supportive therapy, those treated with hypnotherapy continued to improve post therapy and didn't require antacids medication. The other two groups needed antacids. Dr.Houghton study references are mostly from the years 1997 to 2000. They are planning studies to identify the brain regions involved in improvements seen in patients helped by hypnotherapy. Female ibs patients of any bowel habit did just as well with hypnotherapy. I asked her about males with ibs and she said very few studies were done on men because the hypnotherapy studies were mostly done in women centers. Dr.Houghton is going to ask four Doctors at her center if they can help me out with my problems. The problem was acid reflux so I'm ok now.Tim

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Tim, Thanks for the info. Glad they were recent studies, not glad none were done on men. Hopefully they will get to that soon. It's great she will be able to get someone to help you out! K, I think you better give me the "official name" of that diagnostic, so's I can run really fast in the other direction if anyone mentions it & my name in the same sentence!LOL
BQ

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Tim, can you post this in the cbt/hypno/anxiety forum for us. Thanks. To me of course this is all very interesting and as I have been studying it for quite a while now,continues to reinforce what I already have suspected and seen. However, I am still really interested in the papers you have from this and I am really interested in future pet scans taken of IBS and of hypnosis subjects.------------------I work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
BQ--Anorectal Manometry.I dunno what kinda karma I'm toting around but I've also as part of a sleep study had a balloon put in my esophogus and then told to go to sleep
. That one wasn't that uncomfortable once they got it in, and they didn't inflate and deflate it. For both of those it can detect pressure being exerted on the balloon. The esophogeal balloon measures lung pressure and when I would be stuggling to breathe they could detect that on the chart.The CBT study I did was done on woman, but that is because the tricyclic they were comparing it to works much better in woman than in men. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
ERIC!!!!! Are you suggesting that MY bowels might be in an UPROAR? HARUMPH!!!!How dare YOU!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding
Excellent article. Might want to give it its own thread.K THANKS. I'll be steering clear of THAT one & keep your "KARMA" to yourself, thank you!
BQ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.