Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fed up! I have tried everything and these symptoms will NOT go away. I'm tired of people ragging me about my weight loss, ragging me because I don't eat as much..etc. I've tried acidiphilous, ginger, peppermint oil, levsin, ugh..lomotil, pheneragen for the unending nausea...ugghh immodium..pepto...lavendar chamomile tea...hot showers...elimination diet..changed my birth control..had all the tests done by a GI...ALL OF IT...nothing makes it STOP. SO- I did some research on hypnotherapy and I know a lot of ppl here use these cd's. I saw one on Ebay but you never know what your getting on ebay. What do YOU use? I need to know a company or person or whatever that makes the BEST hypnotherapy cd's. I've read it has helped 70% of IBS suffers manage their symptoms.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hi Kellyintenn Your like some of us who have not found other methods to help and then try the Hypnotherapy.It does not in anyway use Subliminal messages though, that's not how HT really works. Its Gut directed or in the case of Mike's tapes which most of the people here have use gut specific for IBS.You can find them here with a lot of information on it all.http://www.ibsaudioprogram.com/This is a safe and natural approach but takes some time and commitment to follow through with them, but that is actually pretty easy.The only way to know if they will work for you is to try them.Most of the people on the HT and CBT forum use Mike's tapes and you can get support and any questions answered there for you. Mike is one of the top people in this field and trains others.If you have any questions ask away and people will help you out for sure.This is also good site for information and even a list in the US if you decide to see one in person. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/Many people wonder why do HT for IBS a gut problem, but there are good studies and 20 years of research and a much better understanding now of why HT helps IBS.Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Kelly,There are a few folks who are now in the process of doing the IBS Audio Program and they are sharing their journey on the hypnotherapy forum - take a peek at the links below for some more information.We are all here to help - I have had IBS since 1983 and found out about the CDs from Eric in 2000 - after trying lots of other treatments, it helped me greatly.Check out the links below - and all the best to you.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Kelly, I can relate to everything you are going through, well, not anymore because of the tapes but one of these days I'm gonna take a picture of everything I have bought and tried. The top of my dresser is full of meds, supplements,yada yada yada. The best 90 bucks you will ever spend will be on the tapes. Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
HiI live in South Africa and after being diagnosed with IBS D I tried everything and not much helped. I then found an article on hypnotherapy and went to a highly qualified psychologist, who is a hypnotherapist as well. .He did cognitive behaviour therapy and hypnosis.It was like a miracle and I am 90% better. He explained that you can have hypnosis to treat symptoms but to get to the inital triggerevent of IBS , which is there from childhood, even if there are no symptoms till later in life,you need proper hypnotherapy not just treatment of symptoms.He took me back to the incident which triggered off the IBS and the chronic stomach pains and from that session on I had no more pain at all and most of the D disappearedIt will last for the rest of my life and will never come back .So far it hasne. He said 85% and sometimes it is that but mostly 90%.rhonalomey

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Thanks so much for all the links and advice! You guys are awesome support. I noticed all of you use hypnotherapy and it seems to be the best thing. I just noticed on ebay the other day a auction selling a subliminal message cd for IBS. I thought it was werid. The message for it said there is not audible words on the cd at all and that all you hear are ocean, stream, rain and white sounds and that the messages are blended into these sounds. I can't understand how. I didn't know if anyone had ever tried this method of therapy. I think I will stick to the hyponotherapy. Good grief anything to chill out for a moments a day!

·
Banned
6 Posts
So would listening to an Enya CD have the same relaxing effect? (My personal "chill out" preference would be DSOTM, but that's just showing my age....)Or, thinking further ahead, listening to Richard Burton reading "Under Milkwood" - now, if anything's going to relax one, and reduce one's GI stress, that would be it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I would not put much effort or support into subliminal messages.Have you ever read this on urban legends?http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/popcorn.aspOn the other hand Hypnosis has been officially recognized since 1958 by the American Medical Association.Hypnotherapy share some things with general relaxation, but there is more to it then that really.Hypnotherapy for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders By: Peter J. Whorwell, M.D., University Hospital of South Manchester, England "It seems likely that a variety of techniques such as relaxation, yoga, transcendental meditation, reflexology, aromatherapy, and others are different methods of achieving a similar state to that witnessed in hypnosis. Hypnosis probably only differs in that it concentrates more on the "trance" element and is usually targeted at a specific problem, which in the past has most often been identified as psychological. However, we have applied the use of hypnosis in a more physical way without, of course, forgetting its psychological benefits."http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/hypnosis.htmlHypnosis Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome By: Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D., Research Associate, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/HypnosisPalsson.html

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hello Eric!As an academic, I am puzzled as to how the hypnotherapy can be "targeted at a specific problem" without verbal clues? For people who buy hypnotherapy cds, which are not targeted at their specific problems, how can the CDs function at a higher level than a nonspecifically relaxing CD (such as Enya) ?To my mind, it's like a doctor writing a prescription without meeting the patient - he/she might as well listen to their favourite music (I'm still sticking to DSOTM!)

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its a specific kind of Hypnotherapy used, gut directed or gut specific.These are scripts prewritten just for IBS that doctors and trained IBS hypnotherapists use specifically for IBS.Like scripts used in HT specifically for smoking say.They have studies groups using HT for IBS with the same outcomes of seeing people in person. The shear amount of people using Mike's tapes over the laast five years just on the bb here has been successful. Non targeted HT is quite a bit like deep meditation. It is possible to go into a trance when listening to certain music for sure if a person is highly focused to the point of trance when listening.This is good on how HT works.http://www.homestead.com/selfhelpsolutions/hypnosis.htmlThey also already have twenty years of research on HT and IBS. alsoThe Effects of HypnosisOn Gastrointestinal Problemshttp://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=500...03422#162103422I like Enya, but I don't think she has specific music and scripts for IBS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
While I agree there is evidence hypnosis helps, people should remember that there is NO scientific consensus as to how or why hypnosis works. There is much dispute even as to how to define what hypnosis is in the first place, despite what you may read on this board. I don't mean to sound like I don't think it's a good idea, just thought I'd remind people of that.By the way, what were the control groups used in the hypnosis IBS studies? Was it ever compared with other techniques like cognitive therapy (Beck, etc) or purely progressive relaxation based techniques? Just curious, thanks.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Thanks Gutguy for your comments - yep, you are right as to there not being a consensus on how or why it works - but there IS overwhelming evidence - over and over - that it DOES work - so if I may go into unprofessional mode here - who cares how as long as it does! There are many theories on how and I am sure that they will continue doing studies on it.Most of the studies were done against conventional medical care, though there are some paired with other psychological care, and even hypnotherapy that is NOT gut-specific, which was helpful also, but not to the degree of the gut-specific or gut-directed protocol - I think however, that for those who have researched the various studies, there is enough scientific data to show statistically significant improvement with this method. The bottom line remains that no matter how many folks keep asking for proof, comparison with other treatments, or have a great disbelief in it, there are still MORE folks who have gone through the proverbial ringer of treatments and when there is NOTHING left to be done, they try the hypno - and for whatever reason - scientifc or not - the vast majority are helped.The UNC protocol (gut-directed) and Mike's protocol (gut-specific) have been used with patients for many years - the protocols specifically address over 20 IBS and related symptoms such as anxiety - for Mike's research, there was only a 3% difference in overall symptom reduction between his in-person patients and the recorded sessions. Since many folks find that the in-person sessions may not be affordable, or for those who have such severe D as I did and are almost house-bound, the recorded sessions are a good option. Can't argue with success. Mike began working with IBS patients in 1991 when the gastroenterologists in his medical centre office could do no more for their IBS patients. When other patients who could not travel found out, he sent them tapes, and that's how it originally became available - just in the UK - thank goodness we have it available here now as well.Also, everyone is free to research all the treatment methods for IBS - there is no one treatment for every person - we are all different and need to do what is right for your own particular self. There are those that try it and do not see relief, just as with the other meds and methods on this BB. And it is good to point out negatives and other points of view - but nothing can alter the fact that we have folks here who are being helped by hypnotherapy, so that is also a good thing.Here is a link to a new compilation and synopsis of some of the various research studies done - you can also easily do your own research for more info.http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/72210261/m/613103422Hope this was helpful!Take care everyone and be well!

·
Registered
64 Posts
quote: so if I may go into unprofessional mode here - who cares how as long as it does!
Me! Sorry, I realize I may be in the minority on this but I find it interesting how such treatments may be working. Plus, understanding how they may be working might help produce even more effective treatments I would think. But your point is well taken, if I could take a placebo pill and be cured (not that I'm suggesting hypnosis is a placebo) I would be very happy irregardless of how it was working.
quote:The bottom line remains that no matter how many folks keep asking for proof, comparison with other treatments, or have a great disbelief in it, there are still MORE folks who have gone through the proverbial ringer of treatments and when there is NOTHING left to be done, they try the hypno - and for whatever reason - scientifc or not - the vast majority are helped.
I agree! If you read my post I don't express any "disbelief" in it, whatever "it" (i.e. what we are referring to as hypnosis) is - in terms of effectiveness. I was curious about comparison studies because as I mentioned I'm interested in how it may be working. I think Mike's protocol seems to be very useful for some people, but I was wondering if they've tried to tease out the various variables involved in it. It seems to have both a cognitive aspect and a strong progressive relaxation base, and so I was wondering how crucial each were to his protocal. Thanks for the links to the studies, it was interesting reading. Do you know of any studies involving simply progressive muscle relaxation? I'd be curious to see those.So, like I said, I have no vested interest in anything other than my own curiousity and my hope that they continue to study this stuff to find even more effective treatments. I agree that at the moment Mike's protocal seems as good or better than any non-medication based treatments. Plus it's relatively easy and inexpensive (I use them!). I like to keep an open mind though so that if in the future studies came out suggesting that some other relaxation/cognitive/etc technique or program worked better than Mike's hypnosis protocal we would be able to suggest that to people as a superior treatment.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I want to go into this a little further even.There is a lot they do know about why HT helps IBS.One of the things the researchers are looking at in new studies with HT and IBS are Pet and FMRI scans and how it relates to pain and IBS.There are already HT studies on pain in general. IN IBS there is good evidence for impairment of the Anterior Cinculate Cortex one of the areas in the brain HT is thought to help in IBS.They believe and are currently researching the effects of HT on the ACC. I will find the related links and a whole lot more information, but I am on my way out for the day.However, there is much more.These you might find interesting.Cognitive-behavioral therapy, hypnosis can help soothe irritable bowel syndromehttp://rdu.news14.com/shared/print/default.asp?ArID=52106

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
markus m This isn't totally about stress and anxiety reduction.This is a brain gut thingTry this also, close your eyes and relax and and focus deeply on sucking on a powerful sour lemon drop or lemon.Does it make you salivate?Gutguy22,What part of the nervous system controls digestion?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.