Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new here my name is John and I'm freaking out right now. Okay so yesterday my wisdom teeth were coming out so I found it very hard to chew things so I chewed most things half way or fully. I also drank lots of water too. I always drink lots of water atleast 8 cups a day and more if I eat something high in sodium. Im currently a senior in high school applying to college while balancing homework and grades and I suffer from anxiety. I dont know if im considered stressed since my parents told me I'm too young to be stressed of anything. I constantly worry and think hard about things I shouldn't even care about that's part of my anxiety and my doctor said I had anxiety too.

Anyway I ate a lot of bread yesterday I had pancakes, garlic bread and pizza and about 10 cups of water, all the water I drink is either bottled or filtered through a filtration system I bought. (THIS GETS PERSONAL)Anyway I woke up in the morning and felt the urge to pass gas and when I did pass gas some mucus discharge came out and at first I thought I just had runny diarrhea but then when I sat down and pushed nothing came out and nothing felt like it had to come out, so I carried on and this kept happening, I would say about 3 to 4 times today. Just recently I sat on the toilet and thought I had to go when I pushed just a bunch of mucus came out and lots of gas. Its mucous like and smells but not horribly unless you come up and smell it. Im a hypochndriac and tend go crazy over things like this. When I was little like 7 I would get consitpated from not eating healthy and it would hurt so much that it made me always eat healthy, I really dont ever want to be constipated again.

That day I was having the wisdom teeth pains towards the end of the day I was able to produce normal stools with nothing out of the ordinary until I woke up today and now I'm freaking out. I will make a doctor's appointment tommorow in the morning but right now I'm freaking out and would like someone to give me some answer because now I will not be sleeping at all because of this symptom I already get no sleep as it is I have no idea why I just sleep then wake up and sleep and when I get up in the morning it feels like I haven't slept at all.

Sorry for so many random things in this and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like the worry is the worst part of all this (and really you can be stressed out at any age from internal worrying even if people think you have nothing "real" to worry about....anxiety and worry can be just as bad over things most people don't worry about than over things anyone would worry about).

Mucus is a non specific response and your colon makes some every single day all day long. It will make more if it feels a stool needed more lubrication or anything makes it irritable for any reason (like you ate a lot of foods that make you gassy like eating nothing but wheat starch all day long). It really isn't a sure sign of impending doom or terrible illness. But it sure can be scary when it happens, especially if you are not used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding. I did wake up today and passed stools but it was like diarrhea so I don't get why my body would produce lubricant for diarrhea. It's really weird and my stomach feels very gassy right now and last night too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always test negative for celiac, but I can not tolerate wheat. I gave it up because it was contributing to intestinal problems, but I was surprised to discover how it affected me mentally - fatigue, depression, focus/concentration. Try going without it for a couple of weeks, then reintroduce it to your diet. You might be surprised.....

I am not lactose intolerant either, but I can not have any dairy (presumably intolerant of dairy proteins?).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes it is the FODMAPs in wheat, not the gluten that is bothersome to people with IBS.

People can also develop a conditioned response. If the brain associates a food with an illness (like when you get a bad hangover from a particular adult beverage and can't stand to drink it ever again) it can set up problems if you keep trying to eat that food. I used to have that with raisins as I'd eat them and they'd come right back up. About 5 years of being completely raisin free broke the association.

Probably made sense back in the gatherer days when you might not always recognize something was bad last time, but the brain remembered the smell or the taste and just reminded you not to eat that anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What's interesting is that oats cause GI troubles like wheat, but oats don't cause the "CNS" effects. Wheat will cause them even when I'm blinded to it and didn't know I ate wheat until I went back and checked (made that mistake many times). I am not sure by what mechanism wheat would cause those feelings (depressed, spaced-out, etc)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts