Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone watch 20/20 last night? They talked about women who had hysterectomy, and they sex life disappeared. Basically they said they lost sensation in the uterine/vaginal area. Did anyone who has had a hysterectomy expierenced this? Doctors on the program explained that this procedure has been done unnesessarily to many women who havepelvic pain and or excessive bleeding, it was even suggested as a money issue for docs. There are many books on the subject(check their website) Women arestrongly urged to seek another opinion if their doc suggests a hysterectomy. See one ho offers alternative treatments. As a woman who has had 3 c-sections, a ectopic pregnancy(part of ovary and tube was removed) a miscarriage and a tubal ligation, some or all of which I believe to have caused my lower ab and pelvic pain, I am in no hurry for more surgery. There would have to be a very good reason for me to have a hysterectomy, I am 39 now, and heard some women say it has helped them, but it seems many more are harmed by it, whether sexually or more pain in the long run. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
kazzy,I missed 20/20 last night, but I sure wish that I hadn't. See my post, and you'll understand why. I have several friends that have had hyst. and they have never said anything about losing their sex drive, and they are pretty vocal group. LOL. I certainly hope that is not the case for me, that would really stink. Did they by any chance mention that it could be caused by decreased hormone levels? I know that there are some women that lose their sex drive because of that that have never had a hysterectomy. And too, did they expalin why women lost the feeling in the uterine/vaginal area?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kazzy,My partner had a total abdomenal hyst one year ago this week and she is very grateful for the surgery. It saved her life. She had massive fibroids, anemia, heavy periods, and a history of cancer in her immediate family. Her recovery and operation were incident free. She went back to work after 8 weeks. My niece had a total abdomenal also three months later and her surgery and recovery were slightly different (same hospital), but she has recovered nicely also. These television segments tend to be one sided, as are the books one reads. Any woman who is faced with the possibility of a hyst. should make an im formed choice, such as second or third opinions from doctors, which would incude questions about alternatives, reading, and talking to other women. If it won't offend the administrators of this site by suggesting another website, we have found an excellent hysterectomy support/recovery/info website called hystersisters. com. There, women can read posts and get info about hysterectomies and alternatives. Lori

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
That show left me a little depressed, though it was good. Some womens have problems, others don't. In my case, though, I had little if any choice. If I wanted to live, my best bet was to remove my parts. I kinda wish they'd left in the cervix, though, and I even asked about it - but the shape I was in (bleeding to death in hospital), I was too tired to push it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that many tv segments tend to be one sided. A similar one was done not to long ago on c-sections. Stating that some doctors perform this unnecessarily in some cases. In my case 3 times was definitely neccessary for me, as my body does not labor properly. I acknowledge however, that it is possible for some women to have had this without good reason. It is even possible since it is abdominal surgery, that it it has made my ibs worse. I think the program was trying to suggest that hysts were not right for all the women who had them, and since there is usually time for another opinion, a women has the right to ask for alternatives, and if it is possible a docter should give them to her, as well as inform her of the possible long term side effects. Many respected gynos now believe this theory, I will check with mine on my next scheduled visit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My girlfriend saw it and knows that I'm holding off on having a hysterectomy as long as possible. She said they talked about drs cutting some nerve which caused females to have no sensation or sexual feelings. That's awful. Maybe those are inexperienced drs. But, I do know that hysterectomies are done a lot of times when there could be other remedies available. I think they tend to look at a woman's age and assume that it's TIME.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
to an extent that is probably true. I say, if you are not in a lot of pain, and if you do not have severe anemia (and if you have good family history), keep it all in, which is what I'd wanted to do.

·
Registered
820 Posts
HipJan,My only problem is NOT knowing my history. I believe my Mom had a hysterectomy after I was born or shortly thereafter because I never knew her to have a period and I don't know WHY she had one. I never had the chance to discuss that sort of thing with her.

G

·
I've been posting information about this for a long time, but maybe you missed it?Agree wholeheartedly..... we are taken advantage of. And it takes an Act of Congress, lots of money and people who know people who know people... to get something like this aired. And it's about time !!Once again... if you are among the 23% of women who experience vaginal orgasms via penetration... that activity will be enormously diminished following a hysterectomy. I speak from personal experience.In addition, even if ovaries are left in tact, the reduced blood supply to the pelvic region drastically affects sexual responsiveness.If you are unlucky enough to have your ovaries removed and you are placed on synthetic hormones... it can be a living nightmare. http://www.johnleemd.com/ Evie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.