Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an hysterctomy since being diagnosed with IBS? If so do you feel it has helped or made matters worse? Would appreciate any feedback not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, I had my hysterectomy done on Nov. 14th last year. I still have IBS, the nagging pain every day under my left rib and sometimes all the way around my ribs and back. The good news when I had my period I wasn't able to go to work, the pain from cramps, fibroids and IBS were unbearable. I would have to say I can function a whole lot better since I had it done and I am very happy that I had it done. The recovery period from the hysterectomy took me 8 weeks, but it was worth it. I take imodium ad and Buspar and Ativan when I really can't take the pain, which makes my day bearable. I hope they come out with something soon I would like to enjoy life once again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, I had my hysterectomy done on Nov. 14th last year. I still have IBS, the nagging pain every day under my left rib and sometimes all the way around my ribs and back. The good news when I had my period I wasn't able to go to work, the pain from cramps, fibroids and IBS were unbearable. I would have to say I can function a whole lot better since I had it done and I am very happy that I had it done. The recovery period from the hysterectomy took me 8 weeks, but it was worth it. I take imodium ad and Buspar and Ativan when I really can't take the pain, which makes my day bearable. I hope they come out with something soon I would like to enjoy life once again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. Never had IBS until about 6 months after that. I have no idea if it is realted somehow. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago, but didn't have IBS symptoms till 6 mo. after the hysterectomy. Still, I don't regret having the H. (fibroids) - recovery time was nothing for me. I could have gone back to work in three weeks easy....but they won't let you. Good luck and God Bless. Cindy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. Never had IBS until about 6 months after that. I have no idea if it is realted somehow. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago, but didn't have IBS symptoms till 6 mo. after the hysterectomy. Still, I don't regret having the H. (fibroids) - recovery time was nothing for me. I could have gone back to work in three weeks easy....but they won't let you. Good luck and God Bless. Cindy

·
Registered
269 Posts
Had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. Other than the no cramps and no passing clots -- which of course was no fun in combination with the IBS symptoms -- I can't see that it made much difference. However, my one remaining ovary gave out about 5 years ago. I stubbornly resisted taking estrogen replacement. As a result, I had menopause symptoms for those 5 years, which aggravated the IBS symptoms, and now I have osteoporosis too. I use an estrogen patch nowadays, and I'm fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. Other than the no cramps and no passing clots -- which of course was no fun in combination with the IBS symptoms -- I can't see that it made much difference. However, my one remaining ovary gave out about 5 years ago. I stubbornly resisted taking estrogen replacement. As a result, I had menopause symptoms for those 5 years, which aggravated the IBS symptoms, and now I have osteoporosis too. I use an estrogen patch nowadays, and I'm fine.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had a hysterectomy on May 9th this year. Other than not having the awful cramping and periods every 2 weeks, my IBS-D has been no different at all which is really a disappointment since my doc was sure it was going to help. But everyone is different. you may want to go to the hysterectomy bb I belong to also, they are a great group of women that have had it done or are debating on having it done, or are now just passing time until their surgery date. But they will be able to help you. The website is... http://hystersisters.com good luck to you------------------It can only get better from here I hope!Sandi

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had a hysterectomy on May 9th this year. Other than not having the awful cramping and periods every 2 weeks, my IBS-D has been no different at all which is really a disappointment since my doc was sure it was going to help. But everyone is different. you may want to go to the hysterectomy bb I belong to also, they are a great group of women that have had it done or are debating on having it done, or are now just passing time until their surgery date. But they will be able to help you. The website is... http://hystersisters.com good luck to you------------------It can only get better from here I hope!Sandi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.