Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ibs is way out of control and it is a week away from my dental appt to get dentures..i am totally terrified..i started today with nausea and diarehha I do not know how in the world i willl ever get through this!!! My dentist gave me Ativan to take an hr before my appt..i explained my ibs to him and he seemed to think this will be the fix!!!haha i think not..itis going to take a lot more than ativan to calm me down.. i am about reay to cancel the whole thing,,but i cannot my teeth are in terrible shape and infection and bacteria are no the best to have with ibs,,,any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes poop the pants is prob my worse worry...how will spandex pants stop the smell if i cannot make it out of that chair quick enough!!!!when i have appts like this or go out to dinner i usually wear a depend and then tight underwear,,usually jeans with long top over, but those diapers are usually for urine not poop. it will be hard to get away fast in the middle of pullling teeth..cleaning or filling maybe..but i need 5 teeth pulled on top!!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Knot.. Now hold on here.. you most certainly CAN do this. And you know what?? I think getting your teeth fixed will help you feel much better over all.Think about specifically what your worst fear is. NOW... ya got that particular fear in your head??? OK... make a plan right now to avoid that scenario. What can you do to erase that fear? Then.. move on to your next concern... do the same thing: What plan can you devise to avoid that scenario?PREPARING instead of fearing is what would help you the most now.Like SunNSnow said.. wearing "protection" may help. Also....Devising a plan on letting the Dr know that you will raise your hand if you need to leave the chair for a bathroom break. Do not wait til the last minute for this now... go ahead and raise that hand when or IF... IF you end up feeling the urge. (You may not end up feeling it.) I do this all the time with my DMD and he knows I have IBS and will need the bathroom on occasion. But let the Dr know this is what you want to do, have a signal for him to stop so you can use the bathroom. And/or.. have the Dr plan on breaks too. Like every half hour or so... to stop a minute etc to see how you are. Ask about that... Like can he do a "welfare" check on you every lil while? Etc.Also you might ask the Dr to keep your appointments to only an hour or whatever time frame works for both of you. But limiting the time may help you feel better.ETC.. Make PLANS Knot.. Come on now.. you CAN do this!If I could sit there and hold your hand... I certainly would! And maybe imagine that.. that some of us from here will be right there with you in that room 'in spirit'. I certainly will keep you on my mind and in my heart a week from today. SO I will "be there" as much as I can. Now some other ideas:You can call the office and speak to one of the dental assistants to ask about what is available. Also.. let them know of your concerns... perhaps they can allay some of those ahead of time. I think giving them a call tomorrow is a real good idea... Really hon.. they may be able to set your mind at ease even more.Another thing.. bring ear phones and a player if they do not have those things available at the office. Put on relaxing music... Practice imagining a relaxing & calming scene in your head. Bit by bit... fill in the details of that scene. (ie: build your dream house.... one room at a time.... Make yourself a beach cottage or a Mountain retreat... one room at a time. Decorate it...completely... down to the knick knacks and then move on to the next room... ETC>> Doing some mind exercises like that will take your mind way off what is going on right there... It is a great distraction tool. If they offer you a movie to watch... on DVD if that have that there.. take advantage of it. A movie will also help keep you distracted. Bring a favorite if you want to watch that you know will take your mind off of things.But probably the most important thing you can do is to give yourself some credit! You may be getting all of your nerves out of the way today.. and with practicing some relaxation techniques in the next few days and practicing slowing your breathing etc... you will get through this ok.I would be careful with your diet for the few days leading up to the appointment. Eat things you know your gut doesn't mind as much. Use your imodium with meals as you get closer if you are not doing that already. And just think the good thoughts! How awesome will it be to finally have all of this dental work behind you? And how great will it be to be able to eat without pain or having infections going on in there?Please keep us posted as you walk and prepare through this week. We're here for you! And I know I have been in the chair for 2 plus hours on occasion. I know what it is like. I thought I couldn't do it either... and ya know what?? I told the Dr exactly that, "Not sure i can do this Doc." and he said.. "Just raise your hand and we will get ya in the bathroom." And that was 13 + years and 4 or 5 root canals ago and I have lived to tell the tale! I have never had an accident there. And they have always got me up & to the bathroom whenever I asked. Even during a simple cleaning.. they understand and let me go. In fact one time I showed up with gut pain and never said a word... but the Dr knew by my face... and he immediately offered to postpone the appointment for me... I didn't but I DID ask if he had any novacaine for my gut!
I really think once you get through the 1st appointment... you will feel loads better! And definitely call and let them know of your concerns specifically and ask about the head phones, movies etc...Keep us posted!

·
Registered
287 Posts
just wanted to say good luck to Knot and what a lovely reply from BQ. I also have a dental appt for 1.5 hrs tomorrow and I've been dreading it for exactly the same reasons as Knot so I'll be taking your advice too-thanks! I've got some diazepam and propanolol-not sure what if anything I'll take-will see how I feel about things on the day.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you to my good friends here>>>BQ special thanks for taking the time to give all the good advise..i feel better already!!! sometimes i will dread things long before the appt..then on that day i will settle down a little..this time with the help of ativan!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Good to hear you are feeling better Knot. Now I hope your dentist can fit us all in that room!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Knot-just to say that I had my dental appt this pm. I was very nervous beforehand so had to resort to meds. I arrived just in time (actually 2mins late). It was a deliberate plan as I HATE waiting rooms-they exacerbate my nerves. Anyway, went straight in and as soon as I was in the chair the nerves calmed down. I did have to have quite a few injections but I think that's very minor compared to what we put up with IBS. I did try BQ's suggestion of visualising decorating and setting up a house room by room-seemed to work as well as any other relaxation methods I've tried so thanks BQ for that. SOooooo pleased it is now in the past. Just try focusing on thinking how pleased you will be too when its all over. I do have to go back for a couple of 15min appts in about 6w but I'm not so worried about those now.I'm sure you will be fine-stay positive and again -good luck!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Knot, Thinking of you ((((Hugs))))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.