Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site but I have visited more than once to reassure myself that I am not going crazy with my symptoms. I saw a GI only once and he was very cold and more or less unsympathetic to me. These are my symptoms of my everyday life: I have to wake up 3 hours before school (3:00a.m.) before others awaken to try to use the toilet. I can only use the bathroom in the mornings. The duration can last from like an hour to 2 and a half hours. Takes awhile for the first to two movements and then the rest just kinda flows more easily. The consistency is like friggin mud. I can go like 10 to 12 times and still feel like I need to go!! If I do not feel totally empty, I end up feeling dizzy and have head aches and my abdomen feels real tight and gassy alot and bloated!!! When I try to pass GAS, with alot of effort, either none or a lil only comes out!! Some days I want to rip out my intestines. It sometimes feels uncomfortable to just walk around. I get high strung and depressed and moody and agitated!! My boyfriend is very understanding as much as possible. I am limited to trips to other homes and people visiting me. Every day is the same or worse!! Coffee does help in the mornings but not always. I tried the Donnatal Extent tabs, but I ended up being allergic to it and had to get pumped with steroids! I feel like I am being punished for something. I really am DEPRESSED.... I am glad I can vent to atleast someone who actually knows what I am going thru. By the way, I have had this S*** for 9 years and still going.... Advise please,

·
Registered
808 Posts
Asiana, first let me advise you to find a new gastro. I have a one that is very warm and listens. they are out there so pleae don;t give up. secondly, you are not being punished.We all have some issue in life here on earth but we just have to deal the best we can. My way of coping is my faith and visiting this board for help and pick me ups. Third, have you tried zelmnorm? ask your dr. to give it a try.... I wish I had more help for you. please remember you are not alone in this and we have to help one another...Lori. Ps. with zelmnrom it works great onan EMPTY stomache.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I agree that visiting this site really helps me cope with it. Well, right now I am in school so I can't afford a GI at the moment. As soon as I start my career in a few months than I am going to find a good one. Someone told me that I might have a spot of diverticulitis!! My lower abdomen on the left side (sometimes on R side) has a sharp pain in it. I am just really freaking out about all of the many problems that could be going on down there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Asiana: Deja Vue! Yes, most doctors will say "oh, you have a condition" and that's that. I know I went for 25+ years with no solution. Too bad you're alergic to donnatal extend. Have you tried the donnatal tabs? They are smaller, less severe, and help me (extended tablets aren't as effective for me).I know exactly how you feel, sitting on the loo for hours. The feeling is "I KNOW I'll go any second now", but nothing. I've decided to give it 5 minutes, and if nothing comes out, I'm out of there.The dizzyness, head aches, and everything you've described above are exactly what I went though, too. The trick is to be "regular". If you are, all the other torture will go away. Maybe the doc can put you on another anti-spasm medicine. (I hate taking medicine, but if that's the only solution, well...) Anyway: good luck on finding a solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Oldie for letting me know that you go thru the same stuff. Not that it is good but it is comforting. I am kinda "iffy" on trying the donnatal tabs. I am having a so so week. Bowels are constant but their consistency is getting harder and harder to push out. And I am experiencing pulsing headaches around my whole head and just above my eyebrows. Wierd, huh?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh, wow. Asiana: If you decide to try the donnatal tabs, it does take a while to realize its effectiveness. It took me several weeks to decide it wasn't "not working" and a year to figure out it's full effect. If I get real crampy, I'll take an advil, too.It's not a cure-all, but helped me about 85% - for about 8 years now. I always thought if something could only help me at leas 5%, I'd be happy. Well, 85% is like a miracle. Today I did have a bad day. I was backed up and it took me 1/2 hour to get it all out. (It came out about every 5 minutes - so my 5 minute theory was invalid. It felt like I was trying to pass basket balls). But, that is really a rare occasion now.I hope you will find a solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Asiana, I am a brand new member...and I am glad to know there are others out there like me!! On average, I have to wake up 3 hours early before I can even shower! It's terrible. I need to drink coffee, sometimes smoke a cigarette (I don't even want to, but it can stimulate a BM), and literally jump up and down for long periods of time just to move food through my system. I feel toxic if I don't have a BM in the mornings, and it seems to be the only time I can possibly go. I just started Zelnorm 4 days ago, and I think it's starting to help...I hope. I'm so tired all the time from getting no sleep and my gut hurts from jumping up and down to pass food through me...yikes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Asiana,I feel exacttly the same way. Some days i think i will actually rip my intestines out (this week in particular)
I also get highly strung, moody, teary and depressed. I wish I had some great advice to give you. I would love to cure everyone and myself of IBS for ever. None of us deserve this.Hope your feeling better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey you guys, I have tried eating a new diet and it is working rather well. I had a awesome week. I just hope it can continue. I am staying away from chocolate and I am raising my intake of veggies and fruits. I've also been eating alot of raisins and watermelons and it is totally helping me out. Sure, I still feel the pain and burning sensations but atleast I feel more empty and less irritated and depressed!! Well, I hope ya'll are doing well. Changing your diet really helps. I feel like a normal human being right now!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey poo pea!! I just realized that I have been depressed and high strung for so long because of IBS that even when I feel remotely comfortable for a day that my moods are conditioned now to just be depressed and moody. Do you experience this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Asiana,I'm glad your new diet is helping. I don't know about Poo Pea, but I am VERY moody, depressed at times and I feel it's all related to my IBS problems. Like you said, even though I can feel remotely "comfortable" (like today, for example) I am almost conditioned to feel down in the dumps!! Maybe I need to see a therapist...geesh. :-(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sometimes feel that I need to see a psychologist. I have read about hypnosis actually helping us out with IBS. I never tried any of these therapies. Have you ibs blues? I am about to be a massage therapist soon and I have learned that ab massages can sometimes alleviate constipation. If you rub your tummy in a clockwise manner than it can help push out a bowel movement. Try it sometime.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, if anyone here suspects that there babies are collicky babies than I suggest daily abdominal infant massages for him or her. Atleast they wouldn't have to grow up and live in frustration like us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried hypnosis several years ago when I wasn't dealing with IBS...it was for stress and panic attacks (well, stress does make my IBS-C worse!!)The hypnosis worked at times for me...you have to really allow yourself to slip into that level of sub-consciousness.I've read that hypnosis works for IBS-D better than IBS-C. At times, I wish I had diarrhea!! At least it would come out!! I know, that's almost terrible to say....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe me, you're only wanting IBS-D because you have IBS-C. Sometimes people with the "D" side comment that they wished they had our "C". Both of them are terrible to have. If I try the hypnosis approach, I'll definitely let ya know how it went! Feel better, soon. Later.

·
Registered
840 Posts
OMG! i'm the same way. I get up at 5 to try to make it to work for 9. Even then i am in pain 5 days out of 7, sometimes so severe i can't walk.I'm so sick of it. The is a new fibre my doctor prescribed, the name is Normacol. It's ok i guess, maybe you should look into this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't heard of Normacol...I see my GI doctor this afternoon, so perhaps I'll ask. Zelnorm is helping to actually have a BM, but I've only been on it for 3 weeks and in that time I've still had to wake up 3 hours early and do embarassing things like jump up and down in place to make it come out (I don't feel an "urge" much). I think Zelnorm is helping me to have the BM's, but I still need to do my morning "rituals" in addition to the drug. Before Zelnorm, I wasn't going much AT ALL, so I'm thankful for that.I just want to be normal, to wake up at a decent time and feel rested, to not have all my thoughts consumed with having a BM, and to just have normal urges to go like everyone else!! I get so frustrated, sad at times, and feel helpless....Yes, I know I'm just saying I wish I had IBS-D because I have IBS-C. Both are TERRIBLE!!!! I wouldn't wish either on anyone.Asiana, let me know if you try the hypnosis!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.