Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I sabotaged myself again. I started a math class yesterday(HATE math-that alone causes anxiety) and it's a summer course so that means it's condensed into 5 weeks-2 1/2 hours a day 4 days a week. What was I thinking?! 2 1/2 hours is murder...yeah I can get up and go to the bathroom I guess...but how many times? I dont wanna be a friggin spectacle.So I'm sitting there my second day of class (today) and everyones filing into the classroom...its getting pretty busy...I'm chatting with a guy who's in my study group..when bammo...cramps..I'm debating what to do..do I bolt? stick it out? If I stay will I embarass myself and have to run out of here? This whole line of thinking didnt help. I started feeling really anxious and "trapped." The teacher walked in and class was about to start...so without saying a word(even to the guy I was chatting with) I grab my backpack and bolt across the room past all my classmates and leave.I was so embarassed. Still am.I must have had people wondering what the hell got into me. I feel like such a freak.SO I went home...cried..and dropped the class like a dummy.I'm going to University next semester anyways(this was a junior college course)so I tell myself it doesnt really matter...but I feel like a loser and a failure..and of course I felt fine the second I got out of there.Bah....thanks for letting me whine. I don't have anyone else who would really understand except you guys. My fiancee is great and very supportive but he just didnt see what the big deal was (and I suppose hes right-because of IBS I tend to blow things out of perspective)Well...enough blathering!

·
Registered
370 Posts
PekeluvrHey, you're right, we are always here for you and one another. I guess your anxiety got the best of you that time. well don't blame yourself for taking the math class, that in itself was not going to make you feel bad. I guess anyplace you go where the thought of a toilet may be frightening could give you enough anxiety to bother you. I myself gave up the chance to go to a fireworks display with my friends that we were planning for weeks becauswe of my fear that I may have a D episode, cancelled on going and nothing happened, so I guess I could say that maybe something could have if I had gone knowing there were no toilets in the area. I normally don't worry too much except that I am on antibiotics and it tends to give me D sometimes.Mark

G

·
Hi Pekeluvr (what's that name mean?)I have totally been where you are. My heart really goes out to you.I just graduated from College a couple years ago. What I did to try and alleviate your same problem was to arrive a little earlier than everyone else and sit in the seat right next to the door. That way if the urge hit I could just bolt without making too much of a big deal. Usually just knowing the door was right there helped quite a bit.Thanks for your original post. I thought I was the only one that had the classroom problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the support-I really appreciate it! It feels good to know that I am not alone (though I wouldnt wish this on anyone)Mark, I can totally relate to the 4th thing...I just watched on the balcony with my fiancee cuz I really didnt feel like being lost in a swarm of crowds running to some porta potty(if there WAS one)ME2-thats good advice about staying near the door...thing is I usually do just for that reason...but the first day I cam in late and had to sit across the room and that was the day we formed our groups..bleh..so mine was where I sat.btw-Peke is short for pekingese...my sweet dawgie
Thanks again guys for being there

G

·
your not your own worst enemy. it sounds like the pressure of being in a restrictive environment was causing you anxiety and that was enough to upset your stomach. once you left that enviroment, wah-la no pressure, no anxiety and your stomach was just fine. it's ok to cry and maybe feel a little cheated. it sounds like you have already bounced back, good for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.