Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get plenty of sleep but i find i still have no energy & could sit in pj's & do nothing day after day. when the ibs attacks i'm so exhausted anyone else who just feels worn out? anyone take anything, natural w/o RX? Thanks for all the thoughts

G

·
i feel the same exact way with no energy. i can sleep for a week straight and feel as though i slept 1 hr. and i never feel as though i got enough sleep at night no matter what time i go to bed. i am anemic so i think it has something to do with that, but i always wonder if it had something to do with the ibs. i am not taking anything, except pills for the anemic thing ....

G

·
hi- i have had that exactly for about 18 mos- this symptom can be a sign of depression- and that is what my Dr. said I have due to the IBS and just menopause, difficult job, etc. Have run a daycare from my home for 20 yrs and have reason to be tired, but this is different- felt on the brink of tears all the time because all i wanted to do was lie down and couldn't due to the job I have-have gotten much better with the following remedies-(hate drugs, but when u have to take them there is no other choice-1. Celexa,20 mg once a day for 1 month, just cut bk to 10mg(jittery, shakiness side effect, not sleeping well-) but the extreme exhaustion is gone-2. I take 1/2 scoop of Reliv Classic, Innergize and Fibrestore in a glass of water or cranberry juice, 2xs a day- unbelievable difference- these are balanced vitamins and the fibre is easy to take- Chronic d to water is completely gone- going once a day"normally", urgency and feeling of not evacuating completely are all gone- 3. Take 1 or 2 Caltrate D(the pink Box) each day- I have gone from having chronic IBS, no pain, but 5-6 "rush" attacks a day, even having accidents in my own house when 15 ft. from the bathroom, to none since Dec.30 when startd the celexa(an anti-depressant, similar to Paxil, but with supposedly less side effects- i have a terrible time with drugs, but this has helped- also was taking xanax several mos ago, , 1 every other day or so if felt myself getting really agitated- haven't needed anything since the celexa- the reliv products have all the essential things in a powdered form and i felt the difference in 3 days after starting -if u want to, contact me at my e mail and i will be glad to tell u how to get them-I think it is easy to lose important nutrients with chronic D- i had this severely for 6 wks last march- lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks- couldn't get the D under control and was in a severe panic attack every day- i could hardly stand up(was unconsciously hyperventilating) went to er- even though had d for all that time, all levels in lab work were normal-so it must not be easy for the levels to show any deficincies, but a person can certainly feel like there are- when several tests came bk normal and i realized I was ok, I was able to get some control and problem abated in its' severity-but it took months to feel better as far as energy was concerned- hope this helped u- donnamaria

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you guys for your response. I too feel like just crying, it diesn't matter how much sleep I get I am still tired. I'd like not to have to take RX, I take enough already. This IBS can make your head spin, I don't know if I'm sick from life, stress, food, or the meds. I just want to wake up PERKY and pain free.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just recently got over a 6 week episode of feeling tired all the time. It's the pits, isn't it. It started before the holidays and I got myself into such a panic again that there was something seriously wrong with me. They finally did CT scan of abdomen and pelvis and that has finally calmed my fears. About 2 weeks after the test results were given I finally started to feel "normal" again. If I have an "attack" of IBS (which in my case is diet and stress induced)I am completely exhausted for several days. I don't want to get out of bed in the morning and I could sleep all day. Fortunately, 2 young children keep me going. Hang in there!!!!

G

·
Hi Lucky...If it will help you feel any better, I'm still recovering from my last bad attack and I'm also exhausted. I have sung in the choir for three years, but now I can't seem to get my breath enough to sing, I'm so exhausted and weak. I sleep 9-10 hours a night and could sleep even more.I'm taking ferrous gluconate (iron) now, but it's too early to tell if it's helping. I think that what we need most IS rest. In the past, staying relaxed, eating very slowly, chewing my food really well, taking a tab of Donnatal (bowel tranquilizer) before my big meal of the day, and getting plenty of rest has always led to a remission.Hang in there and don't get too discouraged...an attack of IBS is miserable, but we'll get through it together :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SQ, I enjoy hearing from you, you do make me feel like we are in this together. It is amazing how much better I feel ablut this IBS knowing there are others out there who care & are fighting the same battles.Thank you Thank you

G

·
Hi Lucky. I also become exhausted by the pain from IBS. Often, the exhaustion precedes an acute onset of symptoms. I don't understand why but that's my experience. Ironically, I get some relief both from the pain and the exhaustion through regular vigorous exercise. I go to a health club and work out for about 90 minutes. Perhaps this helps my symptoms. because I then sleep better. I wish you well.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm always like this. And I get plenty of sleep! I usually go to bed late (midnight) and even so I usually crash on my couch in the morning till almost 11a.m.!! Then by 3 I'm really tierd again! GRRRRR! I know sometimes the stupid neighbors above us(lately espeically!) have been keeping me awake from 5-8 a.m. and that plays a big role in it. I think depression has played apart of it big time with me too. When I get depressed over IBS, life in general I just feel BLAH and tierd. If you have D I think dehydration can be it to. I usually by some gatorade to replenish myself after big attacks. Hope we get some engery soon!Jennifer

G

·
I'm afraid I just wanted to say I'm in the tired club too. Tightness in my throat and nausea during an attack keeps me awake at night. Please be aware of the effect this fatigue has on your life. I totaled my car in April (thanks to airbags I walked away without a scratch) during an attack - I just didn't see the red light!

G

·
I am like this too. I think a huge part of it is a lack of physical exercise. I don't know about anyone else but I have only been able to walk up and down my street twice in the last 6 months because I'm usually too sick to leave my house. Even when I'm feeling OK the fear of getting sick while I'm out walking is enough to keep me inside. I walked a little last night and it felt great. However, I was soooo exhausted and my legs felt like I'd run a 10K. Now that I've started to feel somewhat better I'm going to attempt to do this walk a few times a week to help start getting my stamina back up. Not to mention that my poor muscles are so weak. Everything hurts them. I guess the ideal thing would be to have a treadmill in your house. But then you wouldn't get the nice fresh air, so who knows....But I definitely think no physical activity makes you more tired and weak. Kerri

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the last time I went on a walk, i forced myself, felt fine, then boom pain cramp, barely made it back home before the D began.I just hope the neighbors weren't looking out to see me praying & walking with my legs squeezed together.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also have this problem, and posted this question up a few months ago too. I have also lost a bit of weight. Come to think of it, I guess it's all related to the IBS and to my diarrhea. Does anybody take B complex? It's supposed to give you energy. I think constant exercise helps too. For a period I also only wanted to just lie down and rest whenever I can. But nowadays I am more active, playing tennis and meeting up with friends for dinner etc, and glad to say I do still have the energy in my to do all these things. I think if we just go for it, we might find out that we do still have it in us. I hope you will be encouraged and don't give up on this battle. << SiMoN >>

G

·
I am tired a lot too. Getting up in the morning is the worst. I am snooz button queen. I experience sleepy spells through out the day at work. I work out everyday, so lack of exercise is not the issue. I tried taking a B complex, but stopped because it seemed to be upsetting my IBS. I have noticed, however, that I have more energy since I started taking St. Johns Wort a week and a half ago. I have already noticed positive effects from the SWJ. Might be worth looking into, provided it can be combined with your current medicinal regimen (??)

G

·
Best advice I got was EAT LOTSA MEAT. And that from an MD in Calif! Later I got more willing to try more and more meat after reading Barry Sears' Entering the Zone. ABout 3-4 # per day.Hope meat can work for you too. Cutting out allergy foods: grains, fruit, dairy, soy at the same time really made a difference too--I got over myalgias, headaches, cold and flu symptoms, rashes and itcing, vaginitis, most diarrhea, dizziness, etc. Then I slept better and had more energy, was able to walk 2 hours at a whack with friends even up hills. And contra dance sometimes too for about 1-2 hours. Cross country ski about 1 1/2 hours. I can eat fish, fortunately, some allergic to iodine cannot. Fish helps because it is lower in fat and cholesterol. I eat a lot of roast chicken too, no skin. Eventually I had to add back some brown rice and potatoes but by then the symptoms of IBS only started to return mildly compared to what they used to be, (but of course I was wildly fearful they'd be as bad as or worse than ever.) Still, I had 1 + pretty good year compared to what I had seen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad that I'm not alone,maybe I'm not as lazy as I seem
I did try ol Dr Atkins & I must say I did not have near the trouble but I gradually drifted away from that, I was more tired, I am try to satrt over & really watch stuff I eat, but I've been pain & D free for a week now so I've been celebrating, had a McD's cheeseburger/fries/sprite at midnight & I feel great, Caltrate & imodium & flaxseed cap are my secrets so far. Actually I learned these "secrets" from the BB here & over at IBSgroup BB Thanks to all, so far so good. I'm still unmotivated & tired but maybe its mind over matter. I dream of being active I just can't seem to do it.

G

·
It is nice to know that I'm not alone. I am too unmotived and tired. I own my own business so I must push myself harder. I am learning more about this disorder from the board than from the drs. Well, we can get through this together, but sorry no advice about it.------------------Anna

G

·
Yep, me too. I work five days a week and most days 8 hour days exept for 2 when I have to sleep inbetween the 8 hour shift and the 2 hour night shift. I sometimes fall asleeep on the toilet at work (only for a short while, but don't tell my boss).I also come home some days and just fall asleep within half an hour of begin at home.Just like today, I felt sleepy just after lunch at work and the rest of the afternoon at work I didn't quiet get everything done I promised myself the day before I'd do.When it's my days off I can sleep from 11pm to 11am and still takes ages to rally round in the morning.I sometimes feel that even my 40 hours a week job is too much for me. Seeing that this is my first proper job since school and p.s. I only 25 yrs old, somedays I feel 2x my age with at the pains I get with ibs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.