Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is off topic, but I am really upset...on Friday, my dad was called into the doc's office b/c his red blood cells have been decreasing since 2000, but this year, have dropped alot....he is a very healthy man with a big appetite and energy...no loss of weight or anything like that....but he has noticed that his hair has been falling out recently too....he is going in for a colonscopy and the tube down the throat as soon as he can get an appointment....I am so worried, I know I shouldn't be thinking about the worst scenario, but I love my Dad so much...I can't help but feel absolutely sick to my stomach....he has had similar probs like IBS symptoms throughout his life, but has never seen blood in his stools etc....does anyone have an opinion on what his possibilities could be????

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know it iseasy to say, but try not to worry. It could be somany minor things, not something serious. It couldbe a thyroid problem, IBS, anything. I had a tonof blood in my stools and it was just a smallpolyp in my rectum that I had removed a week ago.I was so convinced I had colon cancer, I hadmyself dying, and it was nothing. Believe me Iknow how hard it is when someone we love is sickand don't know what is wrong. It is a long storybut I lost my mother with a sudden heart attackat a very young age and I lost my father threeyears ago. He suffered with dementia and it washorrible, he didn't even know who we were by theend. Just try to stay strong and be there tosupport your father, he will be fine. I've hadall the tests, he will be knocked out for themand won't feel a thing. Afterwards the dr. willknow something right away, or at least have anidea. Good luck to you and your father, you arein my thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maxson, thanks for your comforting words.....I feel like our family has been cursed lately...I'm really trying to stay strong for my Dad....but I'm dying inside....I hate the waiting game

·
Registered
263 Posts
Martinigirl,Please let us know how your dad is. I searched for anemia and hair loss on the web and got this. Hope it is as simple as this. Waiting to know is the worst part. abc news on diet and hairloss Iron's main job is to carry oxygen in the hemoglobin of red blood cells. Iron deficiency can lead to a condition called anemia and can lead to possible hair loss or increased hair shedding. lflower

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help....it is much appreciated...a pharmacist told me that if it were something as serious as cancer, my Father's white blood cells would be elevated and he would be feeling and looking sick....is this true?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure about the white or red blood cells, but my boyfriend's father died of cancer a few years ago, and the first symptom he had was rapid weight loss. If your dad isn't losing weight then I wouldn't worry. If it is cancer, it is NOT a death sentence. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. He had a round of radiation therapy and one year later is completely recovered with no cancer and he needs no further treatment. It was caught early enough. I know it's tough to "wait and see" but based on what you've written, there are a lot of signs that point in a positive direction.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Martini Girl, I hate the waiting game too. I am doing it myself right now with my father-in-law. Results of tests seem to take a ridiculous amount of time. But wait we must. I am trying not to worry too much myself until or unless we actually have something (more) to worry about. Hang in there honey.One other thing I was thinking about was if your Dad had any thyroid tests done.Also, my Mom had a withering red count and a bum heart valve ended up being the culprit. She had to go through the GI tests too before they found the heart valve problem. They replaced her valve and she has done very well.Know you are not alone in the waiting department. And try not to worry too much. BQ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.