Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a visit to the doctors today to see if they cud give me anything to help. After confirming that I have IBS (already been told that), pressing on my tummy to make it sore.. and avoiding my questions the doctor then says there is nothing they can do, I need to deal with it myself, and its me that making myself worse!! Ok so I know that when I go out I do panick and talk myself into an attack but surely they cant just leave me like this? I am sooo mad!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That doctor shouldn't be in practice. You need some meds and also an anti-anxiety drug probably. I used to get so panicked about it, but after I started talking about it to other people, it helped. Also, imodium is wonderful. I now take paxil and it helps me not to worry about the problem so much. I still have the problem sometimes, but I don't worry nearly as much about it. If you figure out a way out of the problem, it helps. What's the worst that could happen? I carry supplies in my purse, and when I take a little car trip, have a change of clothes, etc., a plastic bag to sit on, etc. Then I don't worry so much. Hang in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That doctor shouldn't be in practice. You need some meds and also an anti-anxiety drug probably. I used to get so panicked about it, but after I started talking about it to other people, it helped. Also, imodium is wonderful. I now take paxil and it helps me not to worry about the problem so much. I still have the problem sometimes, but I don't worry nearly as much about it. If you figure out a way out of the problem, it helps. What's the worst that could happen? I carry supplies in my purse, and when I take a little car trip, have a change of clothes, etc., a plastic bag to sit on, etc. Then I don't worry so much. Hang in there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
valtaya, my advice to you is: Get another Doctor! There is no call for his behavior and you deserve soooo much better. There are many other docs out there that do care and know something about IBS and the alimentary canal!Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
439 Posts
valtaya, my advice to you is: Get another Doctor! There is no call for his behavior and you deserve soooo much better. There are many other docs out there that do care and know something about IBS and the alimentary canal!Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That doctor is full of it. Find a new doctor immediately.IBS is not "in your head." Although it may be the case that a reduction in stress can help symptoms, studies have shown that stress did not cause the IBS and a removal of stress will not irradicate all traces of IBS.A good doctor would talk to you about things you can do with your diet; would probably start you on an anti-spasmatic to see if that helps; would run tests on you to rule out other more serious conditions; and would probably talk to you about stress or refer you to a psych doctor if stress/anxiety was one of your major problems. You should be getting better help. Make an appointment with a new doctor today. And don't put so much pressure on yourself not to have anxiety. Putting pressure on yourself to not feel anxious will make you anxious itself! Practice relaxation techniques instead. If you are really mad, you could report that doctor to whatever society or agency that deals with keeping doctors up to date in their fields. He or she needs a lot of education.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That doctor is full of it. Find a new doctor immediately.IBS is not "in your head." Although it may be the case that a reduction in stress can help symptoms, studies have shown that stress did not cause the IBS and a removal of stress will not irradicate all traces of IBS.A good doctor would talk to you about things you can do with your diet; would probably start you on an anti-spasmatic to see if that helps; would run tests on you to rule out other more serious conditions; and would probably talk to you about stress or refer you to a psych doctor if stress/anxiety was one of your major problems. You should be getting better help. Make an appointment with a new doctor today. And don't put so much pressure on yourself not to have anxiety. Putting pressure on yourself to not feel anxious will make you anxious itself! Practice relaxation techniques instead. If you are really mad, you could report that doctor to whatever society or agency that deals with keeping doctors up to date in their fields. He or she needs a lot of education.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Valtaya. I too live in the UK. It can be so hard to find a good Dr. but that is what you must do. I've noticed from the posts from other people on this board that the states seem to offer more in the way of tests. Over here we seem to be pushed from pillar to post. It has taken me a long time to find a Dr. that I feel I can talk to but there are some out there.I sometimes feel my Dr. knows very little about IBS. I think I've learnt more from this forum than anywhere else. The more knowledge you have, the more power you have. It is your body and it is your right to get the right care you need.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Valtaya. I too live in the UK. It can be so hard to find a good Dr. but that is what you must do. I've noticed from the posts from other people on this board that the states seem to offer more in the way of tests. Over here we seem to be pushed from pillar to post. It has taken me a long time to find a Dr. that I feel I can talk to but there are some out there.I sometimes feel my Dr. knows very little about IBS. I think I've learnt more from this forum than anywhere else. The more knowledge you have, the more power you have. It is your body and it is your right to get the right care you need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ditch your doctor!I used to have a doctor who didn't feel the need to keep current with new findings and theories. He seldom helped me and made me feel like I was crazy when I told him about new things.We all deserve better. The Web has given us all more access to information than ever before, so we can become better educated about these things than ever before.Any doctor that tells you that anything is all "in your head" is not even a sensitive health care provider, and thus, not a good doctor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ditch your doctor!I used to have a doctor who didn't feel the need to keep current with new findings and theories. He seldom helped me and made me feel like I was crazy when I told him about new things.We all deserve better. The Web has given us all more access to information than ever before, so we can become better educated about these things than ever before.Any doctor that tells you that anything is all "in your head" is not even a sensitive health care provider, and thus, not a good doctor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is my fear of going to the doctor tommorrow, that he simply will not do anything.Last time I went I did not go into nearly enough detail about it, I just assumed it was excessive "c" (which is how i feel, but I make a bowel movement at least once a day everyday), and told him that was my problem, so obviously he gave me the remedies for "clearing it out", such as fibercon, apples, more veggies, more water, etc. None of the above helped my problem, and in some case made them worse.I am going in tommorrow and giving him more detail, in hopes he can at least give me some anti-anxiety meds or something. I do not know if I have IBS or not, as I do not have excessive "C" or "D", rather occasional bouts of both, but i feel miserable in my abdomen all the time. I'm going to go into massive detail, telling him everything I posted in the "Understanding my condition" thread.wish me luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is my fear of going to the doctor tommorrow, that he simply will not do anything.Last time I went I did not go into nearly enough detail about it, I just assumed it was excessive "c" (which is how i feel, but I make a bowel movement at least once a day everyday), and told him that was my problem, so obviously he gave me the remedies for "clearing it out", such as fibercon, apples, more veggies, more water, etc. None of the above helped my problem, and in some case made them worse.I am going in tommorrow and giving him more detail, in hopes he can at least give me some anti-anxiety meds or something. I do not know if I have IBS or not, as I do not have excessive "C" or "D", rather occasional bouts of both, but i feel miserable in my abdomen all the time. I'm going to go into massive detail, telling him everything I posted in the "Understanding my condition" thread.wish me luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone else on this one, you could do with a different doctor! I'm looking for a new one too at the moment. My most recent appointment was a disaster, the doctor I saw was so rude to me! He told me that IBS is just something doctors say to palm-off neurotic patients, wasn't prepared to do any diagnosis tests, and basically told me to read-up & do the research myself! He did prescribe me some peppermint tho, which unfortunately doesn't really help. He seemed very pro-antidepressants, although didn't really explain how that links to IBS. I just left the appointment really disheartened, and felt as if I was in the wrong for making an effort to resolve the problem. Basically I found everything I know about IBS through reading and these great bulletin boards. I've managed to help myself a lot but shouldn't the health service be a better source of advice? You're meant to leave the doctors with reassurance and new strategies surely, not in tears!!! I want to try some different med's so trying to sort out an appointment with a different doctor now. Going to be a LOT more assertive this time, wish me luck!
I just wish they knew more about the condition, surely they get enough of us visiting them to warrant it! Hope things go better for you in future, i'll have my fingers crossed for you! x

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone else on this one, you could do with a different doctor! I'm looking for a new one too at the moment. My most recent appointment was a disaster, the doctor I saw was so rude to me! He told me that IBS is just something doctors say to palm-off neurotic patients, wasn't prepared to do any diagnosis tests, and basically told me to read-up & do the research myself! He did prescribe me some peppermint tho, which unfortunately doesn't really help. He seemed very pro-antidepressants, although didn't really explain how that links to IBS. I just left the appointment really disheartened, and felt as if I was in the wrong for making an effort to resolve the problem. Basically I found everything I know about IBS through reading and these great bulletin boards. I've managed to help myself a lot but shouldn't the health service be a better source of advice? You're meant to leave the doctors with reassurance and new strategies surely, not in tears!!! I want to try some different med's so trying to sort out an appointment with a different doctor now. Going to be a LOT more assertive this time, wish me luck!
I just wish they knew more about the condition, surely they get enough of us visiting them to warrant it! Hope things go better for you in future, i'll have my fingers crossed for you! x

·
Registered
356 Posts
My most recent appointment was a disaster, the doctor I saw was so rude to me! He told me that IBS is just something doctors say to palm-off neurotic patients, wasn't prepared to do any diagnosis tests, and basically told me to read-up & do the research myself! That is so MADDENING!!!!!
I hope you find a doctor who is actually interested in helping people.They do exist even though at times it seems they are non-existant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.