Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I HAVE A TERRIBLE FEAR RIDING IN SOMEONE ELSE CAR TO THE POINT THAT i wont do it unless I HAVE TOO FOR FEAR OF HAVING AN ATTACK AND I HAVE It has taken a lot of my feedom away I always have to drive my own car any help would be appriciated thanks.

G

·
Maureen: This is one of the major problems most of us with D have! I know this won't help with the problem but it may make you feel better about having it.Most of us have just learned that we need to be in control of our situation and so we take our own cars and use the routes that are the most comfortable for us. If others don't like it, well I guess that's their problem. We have to do what we have to do, right? By the way, for those times where you HAVE to be in someone else's car have you tried the new Depend's disposable pullup underware? It fits just like regular underware and helps give you a feeling of confidence that if something does happen you will be protected!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help,IWILL use the depends Iam going to Ireland in July so I will use them plus the lotronex hopefully I WILL DO FINE thank you for your quick reply really helps

G

·
hello that is my pet peeve...I do not ride in other peoples' cars and I do not like anyone riding in mine.....but now I have controlled the D by taking caltrate. Even so I still take immodium usually 3-4 hours before I go out. I do ride in other cars but not witout my Immodium and not very often!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, this is a real problem for many of us. It really does curtial my activities, but ibs has already done that. I do ride with my daughter once in awhile, but only because she understands. The depends are helpful when you have to ride.Good luck, Mary Jo

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I only ride in a car with my husband. He knows that when I get that look on my face, he better pull into a gas station or even a stranger's driveway (it's never come to that, but who knows). I prefer my own car even if it is inconvenient. But I also smoke, so naturally most people don't want me riding with them. Since the Caltrate though, I'm more comfortable about not having an accident or having to make a quick stop to find a bathroom.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ditto-you must be new to the board....public situations, which include riding in a car with others, I would say make up 95% of the reason(s) we post here..to try to get ideas, support, etcso- you are not alone, this disease is confining. Do what you can-drive yourself and meet others, only ride with those that understand- and try some of the other medications, etc you read about here (my advice) I have used a porta potti or heavyplastic bag in the back of my van many times...and it is so amazing all of the places you go where there are no public restrooms, or what is there is way too minimal for the amount of people (wait in line and so on)hang in there...join us here for ideasjp.s. caltrate plus has really helped me too!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can only drive with my husband or my sister. The other day for secretary's day my bosses insisted on taking me to lunch. The restaurant was only five minutes away, but when I got in his car I could just feel the panic come over me. I really hate this. They took me to some cajun restaurant (right up my alley). I made it through lunch I ordered a salad and really didn't eat it. But the whole experience was bad. The problem with me is even if I don't eat all day long I still have D attacks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts