Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
LisaaIn deference to "I cannot stop"; please remember, "If I THINK I can OR if I THINK I can't, I'm absolutely right !!" It's all about perception, courage and choices. None of us wants to have to choose between the simple pleasures in life and this pesky annoyance of IBS, but if you're feeling that badly as an end result of some indiscretion, is the pain REALLY worth all that?Perhaps you could search for something else to bring you the same satisfaction without the negative consequences. I know it's tough..been there, done that, got the t-shirt for the past 13 years ! There are times I would kill for a salad or an ear of corn, not to mention a few Krispy Kremes. In the long term though, the anxiety and frequent trips to the library (bathroom)are just not worth it.Again, it's about choices. Be encouraged. Make the right choices just for a couple of weeks and see if that doesn't feel better than the bad choices in the long term.You CAN do this, if you REALLY want to badly enough !! Best Wishes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lisaa:Like goofygut says it's about choices. If you can, find something else to eat. If not, take some Immodium first, or prepare yourself for what will occur. I DO eat things I know I shouldn't. So when I eat them I make sure I'm at home, I try to relax as much as possible and get ready for what comes next.

·
Banned
364 Posts
My downfall is sweet cherries. I know that I can have two without making me sick...but I also know that I cannot stop at two!I make myself think this, "will those 10 cherries be worth the 3 days of pain and aggravation they are going to cause?" If the answer is 'yes'...then I go for it [usually on a weekend, when it won't upset my work schedule, but sometimes the answer is 'no' and that is when I go grab something else to tide me over.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am so addicted to chocolate that I found a dairy-free alternative that I can live with! I also adore cheese and most of my recipes include it. BUT, I gave it up so you can too! Difficult to do in restaurants, but not impossible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Popcorn is my favourite..............in knots today becuase I ate it last night. I knew I should not have but i have so little willpower. That was the last of it in my place. I know will not buy it again. I am getting better each day so I will focus on thatL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know what you mean...I have managed to give up dairy, anything carbonated, and coffee...coffee was my toughest...but I have discovered Chai tea and LOVE IT! But...there are still plenty of things that I know I shouldn't eat, but still do. A lot of times I think, I hurt already so I might as well eat what I want. Also, I am a comfort eater, and when I feel bad, I want comfort, unfortunately it is a lot of the things that bother me that I reach for.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Um...my answer is that you are a standard issue human being. Contrary to what most of us believe, I think almost everyone is pretty devoid of "will power".But you can do some things to help. IF you are one of those who needs to keep it out of the house, then don't bring it into the house. But some people tend to be more likely to binge if they know they can't get to it (so some people with chocolate need to keep it out of the house, but others need to have some sort of supply around so they don't OD everytime the pass Godiva's at the mall...it varies).Looking at what is involved in your issue (and it can be any issue) like what emotional states trigger it, what situations trigger the lack of will-power, what thoughts/beliefs are involved (Like believing that you have never had any will-power, so you will be weak again and again) can be part of changing behavior. The the other half of the equation tends to be what to substitute for the "bad habit". Whether this is thinking about what it will cost you to do it, or actually creating a new behavior (like taking a 20 minute walk that lets the urge pass).People find different coping mechanisms to deal with the bad habits, and it may take some time, but I think you can find ways that work for you if you want to change this behavior.K.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have no emotions when it comes to enemies.My guts friends are my friends, and my guts enemies are my enemies. I spet on the food that is my brain friends and my guts enemies. those are double face friends. Have no mercy with the traitorous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.