Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and boy am I glad I found a place to voice how I'm feeling. Let me start by saying that I'm 52 years old and have had IBS since I was 25 (2 weeks before my wedding, thought I was dying). I know that stress affects me and so do some foods, but what happened this past September is more than I can handle. It started out as a normal day, have breakfast, something healthy like whole organic wheat toast and peanut butter and a cup of tea, a half hour later I was as usual in the bathroom, and subsequently, every half hour after that for the morning. This continued for the entire month of September, bringing about 3 hemorrhoids and a fissure. IBS pain for me is like giving birth, contractions are extreme, I spend all my time on the toilet praying out loud for it to be over, the only difference is that there's no baby at the end of my misery, just a BM, sometimes, other times I don't even get that! Well this pain from the hemi's and fissure was so bad that I couldn't sit for a month, I was house bound and although I needed to see a doctor, the pain in my rear was so great that I couldn't bear the examination. At least there was no blood I kept telling myself. This continued through October and then finally, one day there was blood. I was distraught thinking "Can it be something else? Something worse?" Finally went to the Doc.'s and was assured the blood was not occult but due to the hemorrhoid. She put me on antibiotics, Colace and suppositories and made an appointment to come in again in December. In a few days things got a little calmer but them picked up again. I just couldn't deal with it anymore and decided to put myself on a clear liquid diet for a few days to give my colon, hemi's and fissure a break. Those were the best 4 days I've had in months. Today was my first day off liquids, I was planning to start small, had 1 scrambled egg for breakfast (scrambled in 1/2 tsp. butter) and a large glass of water. Withing 20 minutes I was in the bathroom, and every 1/2 hour since. The cramps were terrible, my butt is sore and I'm beginning to feel as though the only relief I'll ever have is by not eating. Trust me, it wasn't so bad compared to the alternative. Do any of you or have any of you dealt with it this bad? What did you do??? PLEASE RESPOND! I'm beginning to feel quite alone.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh you are very far from alone. So sorry for what you have been going through. But.. I must say leaping from liquids only to an egg with butter??? That could be too much for anyone.. even non-IBS'ers.From a sheer liquid diet when I'm flaring... >>> I maybe try just the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast). Then go to a very light & easy to digest diet (little or no fat and little or no fiber). For me it is usually like a 'cup of soup' type things working up to soups with larger pieces of chicken & well cooked veggies. Then.. Usually just chicken or fish... baked and very well cooked veggies. This could take like 3 days at least depending on how I do.In our IBD Forum and you will find a Sub-Forum entitled:"Fistual Friends Meet Here" Here.. just click here to get there:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=64 You may find some ideas on how to make yourself more comfortable & perhaps get yourself on the way to healing.Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The BRAT diet usually is the easiest to digest as well as thin soups without a lot of fat or fiber in them as you transition to a solid diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast).http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/ is another place for info on fissures as they can have different treatments from fistulas (as they are just external rather than connecting to something inside.Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey,I have suffered with this on and off for a year now. When I have an upset stomach if I have anything to eat it kills me. I did the no eating thing and it resulted in me losing so much weight it was unreal. I have found that I can eat boiled rice when my stomach is like this without much pain. I do suggest when you have an upset stomach to stay away from milk, cheese, egg and wheat as these can make symptoms worse.Hope you find some relief soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes feel like this all the time couple of years older than u started 4 yrs ago dad and brother died husband diagnosed with post traumatic stress very stressful job had to retire due to ill health. tried everything nothing works lost a lot of weight cant afford to lose it skinny anyway every test under the sun done doctors useless now changed to different consultant seems a bit more helpful found out i have an overactive gallbladder oh joy. totally fed up told i have generalised anxiety one makes the other worse now receiving counselling but think hes off sick at mo havent heard from him recently due to see consultant again 2 months now checking for cealiacs really fed up feeling this way just want my old life back and be able to go and do what i used to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
askur GP for a different set of pills! i do feel they let us down a bit, there was a time EVERYTHING i ate gave me pain! although i wasnt in the bathroom, i was doubled up in pain, and would feel terribley sick, and if i couldnt go to the loo i would be sick! doc said "classic ibs" WHAT THE HELL is classic ibs??? ok we do have similar symptoms but no individual is identical! i know alot of people ( my friends who recently told me they have ibs n hid it from me) they function perfectly normal, where as alot of the time i cant seem to. but being here as reassured me that im not by far the worse off, but im equally not VERY better off lol. hang in there mate u will settle at some point thats what i keep saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Prof. Grey, I haven't had the horrible contractions for some time now, but the best thing was Librax for me. It's the only thing that helped, it's prescription. It relaxes the muscles or whatever starts contracting. My GI doc and other docs agree this is a good choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.