Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first, i'd like to say hi as this is my first post on the board. This looks like a great site with a huge wealth of information on here. After reading quite a few posts' on here i realise how lucky i am as my problem is only slight in comparison.I was diagnosed with Ibs about 18 years ago, my only symptom is abdominal pain which the doctor said was a spasiming colon. I get this very infrequently now, sometimes after hard physical exercise, occasionally the morning after a VERY spicey meal with alchol and i rarely need to take any medication (i've had the same box of 120 tablets of colofac for about 5 years) but if i eat fruit i will more often than not suffer the next day with abdominal pain hence i avoid it. The problem is i love fruit and would dearly love to start eating it again. Has anybody come accross this before and/or know of anything i could take with the fruit to stop this happening?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fruits have a couple of sugars/sugar alcohols in them that can be a source of gas production and some people do have problems eating fruits.http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042600.asp#T042601 has some info on which fruits are most likely to cause problems and which are less likely to cause problems.Sometimes canned or cooked fruits will be better tolerateed as that gets rid of the sugar alcohols with the heat.If soda's with high fructose corn syrup also bother you than fructose could be your main issue. If one of the "low carb" or diabetic sweet things with lots of sugar alcohols in it bothers you then sorbitol might be the main issue (look for something for a test with high enough sugar alcohol content it has a diarrhea warning on it)K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou very much for your reply. I really love apples but they are on the bad list according to the link you've put up. I'll start with the fruits on the 'intestine friendly' list first and see how i get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Talissa. I've had a quick squint on the internet and it looks like you can only buy that product in america. Is ther anything similar on sale in the uk. There are lots of probiotic drinks available in the uk but are they the right ones?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sorry Replicas, I just read your message, didn't chk locale!I don't think you can get the same probiotic mix in a different product(patented), but you may find something even better...never know...You can order int'l direct from the makers. I live outside the US too(right now), & I had good luck ordering from them. http://www.rofay.com/If you do a search on DA-IBS, there's a long thread on it here somewhere...Talissa

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try peeling the apples before eating them. The skin is pure gut scrapen fiber that we don't need.
Fruit bothers me too, but lately I've been using my magic bullet (that little blender seen on TV infomercials) to make fruit smoothies and had ZERO problems with them! I use:1/2 apple1/2 pear1/2 bannanaicesplash of orange juicesplach of apple juiceI make one for me and one for my wife. They're delicious! For a little extra "creamyness" I throw in a couple Tbsp of yogurt or tofu ice cream. MMMmmm!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.