Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May of 99, I terminated a pregnancy at 4 1/2 months because it had no brain (form of spinabifida). I have a heart murmur so I was placed on extensive antibiotics. When I went for my recheck the Dr said he thought I had a UTI and placed me on more antibiotics plus during the pregnancy I had a cyst and was given very little information on it but I convinced myself it was cancer. After the termination and all of the antibiotics I developed severe diarrhea, nausea and lost 15 lbs. No one or nothing could stop it. I convinced myself it was the cyst and it was ovarian cancer. I had a sonogram which showed the cyst with irregular margins and thick walls "likely a rupturing cyst". I went back to the Dr 3 weeks later and found the cyst was gone. I went to a GI and had a sigmoid and endoscopy. All they found was mild gastritis and a slight hiatal hernia and was placed on Prilosec. Finally, one month later I could eat again but I had the diarrhea and then started urinary frequency. In October of the same year a piece of furniture fell on my toe and my toe exploded. I needed to surgery. They placed 5 external pins in my big toe and I was in a wheel chair for 6 weeks then a cast for 8 additional weeks. I got an infection so I was placed on Augmentin 2 x's a day 850 mg each pill for 5 weeks. The nausea returned for a day and then disappeared.Then I started spotting 4 days prior to my period and didn't have any menstrual cramps anymore. The urinary frequency got back so I went to the Urologist and he placed me on Detrol. Did nothing but caused palpitations one day so I went to the emergency room. They ran every test and said it was due to the meds. I went to my Cardiologist just to make sure and he found fluid around my heart. I almost passed out when he told me. He sent me for blood work and a CAT Scan. All normal except they found a solid lesion on my liver that they wanted checked. I had that done and it was a hemangioma (nothing to worry about). Turns out finally my old Cardiologist found my file and I was born with a tiny amount of fluid around my heart and it doesn't affect it. All this for nothing. I still have the urinary frequency, the diarrhea and now I have a feeling as though I have air bubbles vaginally plus I am spotting before my period. I have had 2 sigmoids, endoscopy, hystasonogram, numerous ultrasounds, 2 cystoscopies, barium enema, upper gi with small bowel follow through, cat scan of the chest, mri of the liver, kidney and gallbladder, digested charcoal and inserted a tampon. Everything negative. No answers and I am so tired of it. I keep thinking it's cancer and I won't be around for my 5 year old daughter who I love soooooo much.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi Jill. I'm so sorry you have been through so much. Perhaps all those antibiotics have given you, or worsened the diarrhoea problems? This can be really quite common. You could try taking probiotics supplements, or eating probiotic yoghurt to replenish the 'good/friendly' bacteria which gets eliminated along with the 'bad' bacteria when you take antibiotics. best wishes,

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi Jill. I'm so sorry you have been through so much. Perhaps all those antibiotics have given you, or worsened the diarrhoea problems? This can be really quite common. You could try taking probiotics supplements, or eating probiotic yoghurt to replenish the 'good/friendly' bacteria which gets eliminated along with the 'bad' bacteria when you take antibiotics. best wishes,

·
Registered
562 Posts
Im sorry to hear your having such a hard time. I can tell you, that I know exactly how you feel about being scared that you have cancer. Since all my symptoms started , that is all I have worried about. I just went through the whole ovarian cyst things also. 4 weeks ago my doctor found a larger than normal cyst on my ovary. My first thought was oh no...this is it. Ive had ovarian cancer all along and now its finally showing up. But I just went back for my follow up ultrasound on monday, and it has shrunk a whole lot. Almost completely gone. Since Ive had ibs, I have convinced myself that I have cancer, from stomach cancer to ovarian cancer and a few others inbetween. I told myself that if my cyst was gone or going away, that I was gonna stop all this madness and quit worrying about diseases. Because i have literally went from worrying about one kind of cancer to the next kind of cancer. And it has gotten me nowhere except causing me more emotional problems than I already have. It sounds as if you have had a real hard time with a lot of different problems. I hope things start looking up for you. I know its hard to think posative, especially when you have one health problem after the next but you gotta just keep trying to hang in there and get through things one step at a time. And this bulletin board is one of the best places for positive renforcement. Everyone here is so helpful and most of us know what each other is going through. That makes it even easier to talk about things. I really think that things will get better for you, you just gotta hang in there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Im sorry to hear your having such a hard time. I can tell you, that I know exactly how you feel about being scared that you have cancer. Since all my symptoms started , that is all I have worried about. I just went through the whole ovarian cyst things also. 4 weeks ago my doctor found a larger than normal cyst on my ovary. My first thought was oh no...this is it. Ive had ovarian cancer all along and now its finally showing up. But I just went back for my follow up ultrasound on monday, and it has shrunk a whole lot. Almost completely gone. Since Ive had ibs, I have convinced myself that I have cancer, from stomach cancer to ovarian cancer and a few others inbetween. I told myself that if my cyst was gone or going away, that I was gonna stop all this madness and quit worrying about diseases. Because i have literally went from worrying about one kind of cancer to the next kind of cancer. And it has gotten me nowhere except causing me more emotional problems than I already have. It sounds as if you have had a real hard time with a lot of different problems. I hope things start looking up for you. I know its hard to think posative, especially when you have one health problem after the next but you gotta just keep trying to hang in there and get through things one step at a time. And this bulletin board is one of the best places for positive renforcement. Everyone here is so helpful and most of us know what each other is going through. That makes it even easier to talk about things. I really think that things will get better for you, you just gotta hang in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks soooo much for the support. The antibiotics didn't aggravate it but I think it started most of it. I just digested charcoal (yuuuucckkk!!) and went to the bathroom to see if it came out of the bladder or vagina. That would be a sign of a fistula. That at least was negative.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks soooo much for the support. The antibiotics didn't aggravate it but I think it started most of it. I just digested charcoal (yuuuucckkk!!) and went to the bathroom to see if it came out of the bladder or vagina. That would be a sign of a fistula. That at least was negative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.