Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 26 year old male who always had a solid stomach. I could eat anything i wanted whenever i wanted. Back during the fall of 2008, i had a skin rash and my doctor put me on oral Lamicil to treat the rash. On day 6 of taking this medication i noticed i lost the urge to have a bowel movement. I was told constipation happens on some medications so i was told not to worry and continue taking it. I finished the pills and for a week and a half to two weeks i could barely go. Then it was as if a dam gave way and i have D. Ever since that day nothing has ever been the same. I went to a gastro and they did some tests and i was diagnosed with IBS. Almost a year later i had a blood test done and it turns out my body had been fighting H. Pylori. I had to take an antibiotic to kill it and then have a endoscopy done. I also had a upper GI and small bowel follow through witch everything turned out normal. I also had no gluton allergies or lactose. After having the H. Pylori cured, i was starting to feel better. I would still have stomach upset and loud noises in the stomach but i could eat alot more. Things were getting better and i was like this for 8 weeks. Then i got hit with a prostate infection from the antibiotic i took for the h. pylori. I was forced to take a different antibiotic to kill the bacteria in the prostate and this antibiotic really upset my stomach. To make matters worse, right after the antibiotic i got hit with a stomach virus. So after all that i have not been the same.For the past 2 years i was taking align probiotics and they helped a little but not as much as i would like. I am now taking a very strong probiotic and i have been almost 2 weeks on Elivil,(sp) to calm my stomach down. However all this is getting to me.I feel like this is controlling my life. All my friends ask me if i want to take trips or go places and i cant. I'm bound by this. I just want to go back to normal before i took lamicil. I feel like a ruined my life. And if this is the way life is going to be for me from now on, i think i would rather die. I can't accept this or live like this i NEED to go back to normal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm a 26 year old male who always had a solid stomach. I could eat anything i wanted whenever i wanted. Back during the fall of 2008, i had a skin rash and my doctor put me on oral Lamicil to treat the rash. On day 6 of taking this medication i noticed i lost the urge to have a bowel movement. I was told constipation happens on some medications so i was told not to worry and continue taking it. I finished the pills and for a week and a half to two weeks i could barely go. Then it was as if a dam gave way and i have D. Ever since that day nothing has ever been the same. I went to a gastro and they did some tests and i was diagnosed with IBS. Almost a year later i had a blood test done and it turns out my body had been fighting H. Pylori. I had to take an antibiotic to kill it and then have a endoscopy done. I also had a upper GI and small bowel follow through witch everything turned out normal. I also had no gluton allergies or lactose. After having the H. Pylori cured, i was starting to feel better. I would still have stomach upset and loud noises in the stomach but i could eat alot more. Things were getting better and i was like this for 8 weeks. Then i got hit with a prostate infection from the antibiotic i took for the h. pylori. I was forced to take a different antibiotic to kill the bacteria in the prostate and this antibiotic really upset my stomach. To make matters worse, right after the antibiotic i got hit with a stomach virus. So after all that i have not been the same.For the past 2 years i was taking align probiotics and they helped a little but not as much as i would like. I am now taking a very strong probiotic and i have been almost 2 weeks on Elivil,(sp) to calm my stomach down. However all this is getting to me.I feel like this is controlling my life. All my friends ask me if i want to take trips or go places and i cant. I'm bound by this. I just want to go back to normal before i took lamicil. I feel like a ruined my life. And if this is the way life is going to be for me from now on, i think i would rather die. I can't accept this or live like this i NEED to go back to normal.
I can relate to your plight. I am not a doctor or nurse but a fellow sufferer who would chop off my right arm to have a life again. You sound to me like you have depression and a great deal of grief. I would highly recomment you see a doctor immediately or go to the ER if you are feeling suicidal. This is NOT something anyone takes lightly and not something to be embarassed about. I have been in there at least four times so depressed I could not stand my life anymore. Things do get better. If you look over these forums you will see that you are FAR from alone. Many of the drugs used to treat grief/depression also HELP the bowel because of all the nerves in our gut. I did not give up and was able to go from being completely housebound not even able to leave my bedroom, to going back to work and even a walk now and then. Can I binge drink and eat a bunch of garbage? No, of course not. I choose to eat organic and maintain a very healthy diet. I have found numerous intellectual pursuits for amusement and joined many online groups. I have gone from having maybe ten friends to having at least seventy on my phone that I can call anytime. If I were to guess, it sounds like you have had a few tests. Have you had the five day stool analysis? This will tell the exact content of the bacterial make up of your bowel. It can be very useful. Talk to your doctor today, tonight or tomorrow before you slip further into depression. You can have a life again!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know how you feel, IBS can take over certain things in your life that you used to enjoy, I really want to go on holiday but if I cant maintain my diet then the ###### can litterly hit the fan.I had no issues with lactose or gluten until a doc advised to cut them out to see if it helped, it didnt but I couldnt go back to lactose and it took a while to get back to gluten.one thing I would suggest as I am sure everyone else here will is that probiotics often don't help people with IBS as much as say those who get occasional bloating, etc.depending on where you live depends on what meds are available to help, if you have or find a good doc try to keep with them as you can more easily go through the different treatments to reduce the frequency and severity of the symptoms and also find meds that can help when you do.The US have some meds that aren't permitted in other countries if it goes to the extreme but most docs will usually run through pre and pro biotics, suppliments (such as calcium), anti spasmotics, dietry restrictions (try to be strict) and then onto low dose anti-depressants. depending on what is most likely triggering your symptoms would depend on what else the doc might try.if you have D every day some people on here have talked about takings immodium each day in a quantity which firms their stool somewhat.I still have lots of IBS issues but I am on Ibsacol 4*4 a day, Amitriptyline 3*20mg a day, motilium as and when required 3 times a day, asilone (random gulp at night time) and that seems to give me a huge improvement on my every day severe D that I had previously.for issues Lopremide, immodium and lomitol do wonders depending on severity depends how many and which I take. and diet wise I have no lactose, reduced fruit and veg, no fatty foods and ironically wheatabix every morning does wonders but I have managed to go back to some processed foods and fizzy drinks (in moderation) which I had cut out for a decade before this.You might be lucky and your symptoms might fade away over time since they only seemed to appear after a series of bad luck medical wise but otherwise its all about damage control. The best example of this are the people on here in the army who have managed to not cure their IBS (as thats not really possible) but control it around a very inflexible job.Good luck and you will find some great help on here from some of the seasoned forumers. (sorry to waffle for so long)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.